We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

5752 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Jan 2020 19:25

sandman
Victor Meldrew What seems odd to me is that for Man Utd games the commentators go on about how good certain players have been lately and then the team loses again to somebody not particularly good.
BTW Shaw is a diabolical defender so please keep him in the side Ole (If you are still there). :wink:

Tbf so is Alexander Arnold. Just goes to show that if you have a good enough manager tactically, which Klopp is and Solskjaer is not, you can hide a players deficiencies.

But Shaw doesn't contribute much else and gone are the early days at Southampton when he used to charge forward in the style of a Gareth Bale and before injuries and those northern pies got too tempting.

Trent is 20 and is really a midfielder playing nominally as a full-back and I think he will play further forward within the next couple of years.

BTW tell me who is better than Trent in terms of English players?
Trippier can't defend
Walker can't defend
Wan -Bissaka is a good tackler but not great on positioning and gets lost if he ventures further upfield.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jan 2020 19:56

Victor Meldrew
sandman
Victor Meldrew What seems odd to me is that for Man Utd games the commentators go on about how good certain players have been lately and then the team loses again to somebody not particularly good.
BTW Shaw is a diabolical defender so please keep him in the side Ole (If you are still there). :wink:

Tbf so is Alexander Arnold. Just goes to show that if you have a good enough manager tactically, which Klopp is and Solskjaer is not, you can hide a players deficiencies.

But Shaw doesn't contribute much else and gone are the early days at Southampton when he used to charge forward in the style of a Gareth Bale and before injuries and those northern pies got too tempting.

Trent is 20 and is really a midfielder playing nominally as a full-back and I think he will play further forward within the next couple of years.

BTW tell me who is better than Trent in terms of English players?
Trippier can't defend
Walker can't defend
Wan -Bissaka is a good tackler but not great on positioning and gets lost if he ventures further upfield.

Oh don't get me wrong, Alexander-Arnold is far from the only player it applies to and not just English players. I'm only using him as the most obvious example because I know it will get you seeing red :lol: . I'm not saying anything Negative about his attacking ability, it's excellent.

Why do you think Madrid stuck Ronaldo in front of Marcelo for years?

Barcelona haven't had a great right back for a long time. They dont need one because, pay attention Sanguine I'm about to give a complement to your hero, they have Messi out on the right and teams are so preoccupied with him that they struggle to attack the full back.

Same with Liverpool. Klopp sets them up so Salah is in front of Alexander-Arnold, limiting how much you can attack Trentylocks.

Of course if things go wrong and you have to bring on Adam Lallana or someone to replace Salah. Then, like we saw in the 2018 Champions League Final, you can overload the right side of Liverpool and target TAA.
Last edited by sandman on 03 Jan 2020 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Jan 2020 10:21

I think calls to play TAA in midfield rather miss the point that, whilst Klopp hasn't 'invented' the role that he and Robertson play, that role is tailored to his strengths. Put him in a midfield three and you lose those dreamy crosses. Put him wide midfield and he has a man on him most of the time, where his attacking potency is based on him 'bombing forward' from deep. The effectiveness of Liverpool and TAA is based in a large part on the pace of their central defenders and fluidity of the defensive midfield responsibilities (whilst notionally Fabinho, or more recently Henderson, if you watch closely you'll see all of the midfield three fill in to the 'Kante role' as required, allowing centre-backs to push wider), which allows the full-backs to effectively play as 'midfielders'.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2020 10:53

Sanguine I think calls to play TAA in midfield rather miss the point that, whilst Klopp hasn't 'invented' the role that he and Robertson play, that role is tailored to his strengths. Put him in a midfield three and you lose those dreamy crosses. Put him wide midfield and he has a man on him most of the time, where his attacking potency is based on him 'bombing forward' from deep. The effectiveness of Liverpool and TAA is based in a large part on the pace of their central defenders and fluidity of the defensive midfield responsibilities (whilst notionally Fabinho, or more recently Henderson, if you watch closely you'll see all of the midfield three fill in to the 'Kante role' as required, allowing centre-backs to push wider), which allows the full-backs to effectively play as 'midfielders'.

Absolutely but in time I think he may end up playing with even less defensive responsibilities or just be the best wing-back (ish) ever.
So pleased that his dad does (did?) work for Man Utd.

He is such a mature lad who comes across so well in interviews, as per the one with BT last night.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jan 2020 16:38

LOL@United for playing a weakened team when the FA Cup is all they can hope for this season.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jan 2020 17:21

Old Man Andrews LOL@United for playing a weakened team when the FA Cup is all they can hope for this season.

How can it be weaker?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 04 Jan 2020 19:26

utter...utter...shite!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jan 2020 20:20

One of the worst games I've seen this season, any other season too really.

United need to sack OGS. It's so blatantly obvious he isn't the person to take them back to the top. Club legend? Yes. A football manager? No.

They should chuck everything they can at Pochettino and back him heavily in the transfer market this summer.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jan 2020 00:40

Old Man Andrews One of the worst games I've seen this season, any other season too really.

United need to sack OGS. It's so blatantly obvious he isn't the person to take them back to the top. Club legend? Yes. A football manager? No.

They should chuck everything they can at Pochettino and back him heavily in the transfer market this summer.

Don’t get the hype for Pochettino. A decent start to his job at Spurs but the stats are there in black and white, 0 trophies in 5 and a half seasons there. That’s poor

Pretty sure United were saving their key men for Tuesday night, the FA cup is notoriously better than the League Cup but the semi finals against your rivals isn’t one you’ll turn down

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jan 2020 07:35

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews One of the worst games I've seen this season, any other season too really.

Don’t get the hype for Pochettino. A decent start to his job at Spurs but the stats are there in black and white, 0 trophies in 5 and a half seasons there. That’s poor

Pretty sure United were saving their key men for Tuesday night, the FA cup is notoriously better than the League Cup but the semi finals against your rivals isn’t one you’ll turn down

He's great at bringing the younger players through and investing in youth which is what United need to go back to, that's their identity. He turned Spurs from middle table fodder to Champions League finalists, United need that same sort of turnaround.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Jan 2020 11:30

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

He's great at bringing the younger players through and investing in youth which is what United need to go back to, that's their identity. He turned Spurs from middle table fodder to Champions League finalists, United need that same sort of turnaround.

I think his "bringing the younger players through" is a bit of an urban myth and much exaggerated.

Southampton have always brought through young players and when he was there he carried on the philosophy with a reasonable crop.
At Spurs who are their young players to come through and perform?
Winks-now an occasional first-teamer and...…………………….?

I think he is a good manager but , so far, no better than that although he must have something about him for the apparent clamour to employ him.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Jan 2020 14:22

To have achieved what he did at Spurs with minimal investment (comparatively) marks him out as a superb manager.

He got things wrong for sure, playing Kane in the CL Final being a biggie, but he is bright and humble enough to learn from them.

He would be ideal for Man Utd.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Jan 2020 19:06

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 20:10

BR0B0T :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Solid central midfield there champ.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Jan 2020 20:15

Old Man Andrews
BR0B0T :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Solid central midfield there champ.

terrifying...i think United could recruit from any team in the relegation zone and improve on that

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 20:17

That's a good goal tbf.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 20:33

Good God United are awful, it's worse than I ever imagined.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Jan 2020 20:38

Old Man Andrews Good God United are awful, it's worse than I ever imagined.

absolute dogshit...esp once Martial, Pogba, McTomminay, Maguire are out injured/ill

Ole still trying to play the same 'hit them on the break' tactics...way out of his depth!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 20:38

Hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha this is brilliant

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 20:41

BR0B0T
Old Man Andrews Good God United are awful, it's worse than I ever imagined.

absolute dogshit...esp once Martial, Pogba, McTomminay, Maguire are out injured/ill

Ole still trying to play the same 'hit them on the break' tactics...way out of his depth!

Yeah it might be time to switch it off now mate. Salvage Hunters is on if that floats your boat.

5752 posts