Rumour - Glenn Murray

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Glenn Murray

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2020 11:56

Agree with those who say with Joao out for a while this is more reasonable.

Shouldn't be more than a loan or 6 month contract though at his age.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Jan 2020 12:15

He's after 18 months apparently.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jan 2020 13:08

Pepe the Horseman He's after 18 months apparently.

Dilemma. I've no doubt he could still do a good job at this level next season. But no doubt he'd be one of our highest earners, and when Joao is fit again we'd have too many strikers when we typically play 1 up front. Is the value he'd add this season worth all these dilemmas? I'd say yes on balance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2020 13:17

It's a no from me then.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jan 2020 13:45

Depends what other options there are. I'm struggling to think who may fit the bill. Given Puscas is still adapting, I doubt a young promising player is what we're looking for. Experience with a decent track record to fill in Joao's role for the second half of the season is what we need. Anybody else have decent ideas? Gary Madine strikes me as a bit of a twat, but is available. I'd definitely suggest Murray over him though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2020 14:03

WestYorksRoyal Depends what other options there are. I'm struggling to think who may fit the bill. Given Puscas is still adapting, I doubt a young promising player is what we're looking for. Experience with a decent track record to fill in Joao's role for the second half of the season is what we need. Anybody else have decent ideas? Gary Madine strikes me as a bit of a twat, but is available. I'd definitely suggest Murray over him though.

Oumar Niasse
Jonathan Kodjia
Connor Wickham

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jan 2020 14:10

URZZZZ
WestYorksRoyal Depends what other options there are. I'm struggling to think who may fit the bill. Given Puscas is still adapting, I doubt a young promising player is what we're looking for. Experience with a decent track record to fill in Joao's role for the second half of the season is what we need. Anybody else have decent ideas? Gary Madine strikes me as a bit of a twat, but is available. I'd definitely suggest Murray over him though.

Oumar Niasse
Jonathan Kodjia
Connor Wickham

Yes please; would all be excellent options and fit in better than an 18 month Murray deal. All speculation though; depends on views of players and parent clubs

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 12 Jan 2020 15:21

WestYorksRoyal Anybody else have decent ideas?

That bloke from blackpool, Gnanduillet

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Jan 2020 15:23

72 bus
WestYorksRoyal Anybody else have decent ideas?

That bloke from blackpool, Gnanduillet

only if we do the deal by Tuesday

only if he's never takes a penalty

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2020 17:38

URZZZZ

Oumar Niasse
Jonathan Kodjia
Connor Wickham

Never really rated Wickham. Always struck me as bang average. How he's spent most his career in the PL despite never having a particularly good season anywhere is baffling.

His best is 15 goals in a season and he had to step down a level for a few months to get more than half of them.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2020 23:13

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Oumar Niasse
Jonathan Kodjia
Connor Wickham

Never really rated Wickham. Always struck me as bang average. How he's spent most his career in the PL despite never having a particularly good season anywhere is baffling.

His best is 15 goals in a season and he had to step down a level for a few months to get more than half of them.

That’s the thing, I reckon he could be a good championship striker, and when he did drop down a division, he looked pretty strong there

He’s been incredibly unlucky with injuries too

Guess we’ll see how he fares, rumoured to be joining Wednesday

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jan 2020 06:03

Could do with a striker who isn’t constantly injured tbh - we have enough of those

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jan 2020 08:34

Snowflake Royal

It's a no from me then.

Depends on the terms really - if Joao is out for 8 weeks that is mid-March before he can train again and likely end of March before he could start a game. So this season Murray will be a likely starter as he fits our system under Bowen, next season he may have to settle for a squad place.

Ideally though, any striker signing needs to be short term, so probably a loan as there is so much up in the air at the moment - i.e. we could still end up promoted this season, Bowen's contract is only until the summer - though I would be amazed if he doesn't get a new one - so commiting a large chunk of wages on a player who may have no role for us next season may not be the best move.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Jan 2020 09:27

royalp-we
Snowflake Royal
John Smith Not really. If he came he'd be used in favour of Joao, Meite and Baldock. I think we should get rid of Meite and use Loader as an impact man while Puscas gets back to full fitness.

I think that's an awful idea.

+1

We simply do not need a striker. I’ve said it before, Meite is the only player that put in 100% during our poor run under Gomes. Bloke would run through walls for this club.

IF we NEEDED to get rid of a striker I’d nominate Baldock tbh. Some signings just don’t work out.

Clueless. If you were present on Saturday you would see how vastly out of his depth Meite is at this level. Effort and commitment doesn't mean a thing without ability. I'd give 110% effort for Reading but wouldn't be any good.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 13 Jan 2020 09:37

John Smith
royalp-we
Snowflake Royal I think that's an awful idea.

+1

We simply do not need a striker. I’ve said it before, Meite is the only player that put in 100% during our poor run under Gomes. Bloke would run through walls for this club.

IF we NEEDED to get rid of a striker I’d nominate Baldock tbh. Some signings just don’t work out.

Clueless. If you were present on Saturday you would see how vastly out of his depth Meite is at this level. Effort and commitment doesn't mean a thing without ability. I'd give 110% effort for Reading but wouldn't be any good.

Can you give a bit of background of your footballing pedigree before I dismiss you as an option completely? did you play Sunday league? what position did you play?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Jan 2020 11:27

18 months is surely bad business given our striking options already. Should be looking for a loan.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 13 Jan 2020 11:34

agreed, a loan till end of the season or it a no thanks

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Jan 2020 11:38

WoodleyRoyal agreed, a loan till end of the season or it a no thanks

No thanks it is then. Not much use to Brighton as he remains on their books. No use for him as it doesn't provide any certainty or security. 6 month loan is good for us but not other parties.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Jan 2020 11:51

WestYorksRoyal
WoodleyRoyal agreed, a loan till end of the season or it a no thanks

No thanks it is then. Not much use to Brighton as he remains on their books. No use for him as it doesn't provide any certainty or security. 6 month loan is good for us but not other parties.

It could be good for Murray and Brighton in the long term though.

If he does well here until the end of the season, helping us go up the table, that would put him in a good position to move on in the summer to a Championship club that need a striker like him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Jan 2020 12:15

A 6 month deal with an optional extension to a year is what I suggested earlier. He is still a good player but I think it would be stupid for us to gamble on him for the full 18 straight off the bat.