Shawn Mendes?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Pedro Mendes

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2020 11:56

WoodleyRoyal
URZZZZ
Hendo
Tbf to Carriço, he did go on and win the Europa League with Sevilla. harsh to judge him on 3 performances for us.

I also didn't think Illori was that bad for us. Certainly seen worse defenders.

Carrico was an odd one, against Liverpool in the 0-0 draw, he was superb but he was very rarely seen again after that, if not at all

Ilori was an abomination of a defender, simply wasn't a Championship player, suits the foreign leagues more IMO, not sure how he's done since he's gone though

He was a perfectly adequate championship defender. Who we made our money back on :|

For some reason, people seem to have some sort of affection to Ilori

Ilori makes 3 mistakes which leads to 3 goals in a game - not much said
McShane makes 2 mistakes which leads to 2 goals in a game - he was a disgrace to the shirt and shouldn't ever play for us again

Ilori was terrible and there's a reason that although he cost £4 million, he found himself behind an ageing McShane and John O'Shea at regular times

Vicky Pollard

by Vicky Pollard » 24 Jan 2020 12:11

URZZZZ
WoodleyRoyal
URZZZZ
Carrico was an odd one, against Liverpool in the 0-0 draw, he was superb but he was very rarely seen again after that, if not at all

Ilori was an abomination of a defender, simply wasn't a Championship player, suits the foreign leagues more IMO, not sure how he's done since he's gone though

He was a perfectly adequate championship defender. Who we made our money back on :|

McShane makes 2 mistakes which leads to 2 goals in a game - he was a disgrace to the shirt and shouldn't ever play for us again

Ilori was terrible and there's a reason that although he cost £4 million, he found himself behind an ageing McShane and John O'Shea at regular times

Completely agree- never understood any affection for Ilori

Abysmal player with an even worse attitude.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jan 2020 12:17

An abomination? Think that is a bit extreme :|

Whoscored has his stats as:

6.81 for 2016/17
6.67 for 2017/18
6.76 for 2018/19

Average of 6.74, not that bad.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2020 12:25

Hendo An abomination? Think that is a bit extreme :|

Whoscored has his stats as:

6.81 for 2016/17
6.67 for 2017/18
6.76 for 2018/19

Average of 6.74, not that bad.

He’s just someone I don’t like so it probably is a bit extreme but he wasn’t very good, let’s be honest

There have been worst defenders but pound for pound, he might be the worst one

I do think there was a player in there but the rough and toughness of the Championship is light years away from his game. His best performances at the club were the PO semi final games, teams that play on the floor, more suited to Iloris game and style. But when teams pepper the box from all angles, he didn’t have a clue how to deal with it and ultimately was the reason managers rarely trusted him to give him a proper run in the team

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jan 2020 12:30

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth All for another Mendes.

Shawn Mendes?

That's the one. Great player.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2020 12:32

He was decent enough at times, but he was certainly soft at times as well. I thought him and Moore could make a decent partnership, but to be fair, Miazga came in after him and completely showed him up.

Would have been a good player in a back 3 or one with a bit more confidence. Certainly haven't missed him

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 24 Jan 2020 16:40

Hound He was decent enough at times, but he was certainly soft at times as well. I thought him and Moore could make a decent partnership, but to be fair, Miazga came in after him and completely showed him up.

Would have been a good player in a back 3 or one with a bit more confidence. Certainly haven't missed him

Transfer fees really shape how you view a player tbh. And it works both ways.

In for £4million - well he must be good, it's our style of play/idiot manager/rubbish teammates that doesn't suit him
In for £4million - he's the worst defender ever, we were ripped off.

Free Transfer - let's face it, he's not very good, or he woudn't have been let go
Free Transfer - what a bargain

All could be statements about the exact same player, playing the exact same way.

Overall cost of the player spread over the number of games he plays is probably a better measure of how much they cost anyway.
E.g., a player who costs £2million and earns 12.5K a week for 3 years is cheaper than one who comes in for free and is paid 25K a week for 3 years.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Jan 2020 17:04

URZZZZ
WoodleyRoyal
URZZZZ

Tbf it was clear that McShane wasn't up to it last season. He had lost a yard or two and kept making rash decisions that got us into trouble.

I think the reaction to Cooper's mistakes when he was here vs the reactions to Illori's would be a better comparison.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2020 17:22

muirinho
Hound He was decent enough at times, but he was certainly soft at times as well. I thought him and Moore could make a decent partnership, but to be fair, Miazga came in after him and completely showed him up.

In for £4million - well he must be good, it's our style of play/idiot manager/rubbish teammates that doesn't suit him

Free Transfer - let's face it, he's not very good, or he woudn't have been let go

All could be statements about the exact same player, playing the exact same way.

Overall cost of the player spread over the number of games he plays is probably a better measure of how much they cost anyway.
E.g., a player who costs £2million and earns 12.5K a week for 3 years is cheaper than one who comes in for free and is paid 25K a week for 3 years.

Possibly true but I didn’t mention his fee :)

As it happened we got money back on him as well, so I certainly wouldn’t class him an awful signing or anything. Just not as good as he could have been considering the obvious ability

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 24 Jan 2020 17:33

Hound
muirinho

Possibly true but I didn’t mention his fee :)

As it happened we got money back on him as well, so I certainly wouldn’t class him an awful signing or anything. Just not as good as he could have been considering the obvious ability

Was more of a general comment rather than aimed at you - I think a lot of people were more disappointed in Ilori because he cost money. And as you say, we got it back anyway

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 24 Jan 2020 18:29

From the little I know then this guy sounds a far safer / more sensible option than offering a contract Murray for 18 months..

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jan 2020 18:35

Ilori was an accident waiting to happen. No positioning sense and his passing out of defence was dreadful. Thank God we got rid.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2020 19:06

Zip Ilori was an accident waiting to happen. No positioning sense and his passing out of defence was dreadful. Thank God we got rid.

His passing was excellent generally. It was his strength, weakness in the air for a tall lad, and as you say positioning which were ropey

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jan 2020 20:11

Hound
Zip Ilori was an accident waiting to happen. No positioning sense and his passing out of defence was dreadful. Thank God we got rid.

His passing was excellent generally. It was his strength, weakness in the air for a tall lad, and as you say positioning which were ropey

Houndy I lost count of the number of stupid passes out of defence. His positioning was really poor but he was quick and that got him out of some awkward situations.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Jan 2020 09:25

I'm on board if it's an option to buy. If it's an obligation, like Ejaria, surely we can find another short term fix?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2020 15:34

WoodleyRoyal
URZZZZ
Hendo
Tbf to Carriço, he did go on and win the Europa League with Sevilla. harsh to judge him on 3 performances for us.

I also didn't think Illori was that bad for us. Certainly seen worse defenders.

URZZZ hating on perfectly decent player shocker.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Jan 2020 15:59

Snowflake Royal
WoodleyRoyal
URZZZZ

If “perfectly decent” player is a player bought for 4 million pounds, constantly giving goals away and regularly finding themselves 3rd choice behind Paul McShane and John O’Shea, then I’d like to see your definition of a poor player

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2020 16:05

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
WoodleyRoyal

If “perfectly decent” player is a player bought for 4 million pounds, constantly giving goals away and regularly finding themselves 3rd choice behind Paul McShane and John O’Shea, then I’d like to see your definition of a poor player

Aluko.

I also don't recognise your description of him.

249 posts