Champions League/Europa League 2019/20

319 posts
stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Champions League/Europa League 2019/20

by stealthpapes » 17 Jan 2020 09:13

sheshnu There were a couple of (English) National League sides, along with some Irish lads, in the Scottish Wafer Biscuit Cup this year. I don't know how long that's been going on.

Possibly some Welsh sides in there too. As far as I can tell, it was mildly diverting for those involved.

Anyway, time to scrap the League Cup probably.

Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup

Solihull played Rangers U-23. Both Eire and Norn Iron sides involved but did not make any impact. Last I saw, the only non-Scottish team still in it was Wrexham.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Jan 2020 11:05

Stranded
Winston Biscuit
Stranded
Not sure where the interest would be in a British Cup to be honest. Would you be that interested if we get to the first "national" round and get drawn at home to Inverness, Linfield or Barry Town?

Only interesting tie would be home or away (pref away) to either of Celtic or Rangers - and possibly a trip to Edinburgh, more for the city than the football.

each tie to be played at the home of the lower division side and you have your interest

Really?

Define the lower division side - Welsh Premier V League 2 who is lower? League 2 of the higher UEFA Coefficient league or the Welsh top flight?

Scottish Prem v Championship - who is Lower? Championship is probably the stronger division but Scots Prem is again the top flight. Where is in the interest in Blackburn getting a home tie against Kilmarnock? or vice versa

Define it in advance, then allow for some modification each season i.e if leagues massively overperform.

Championship
Scottish Championship
League 1
League 2
NIFL Premiership
Welsh Premier League
Scottish League 1
Scottish League 2

That's a total of 126 teams, of which 72 are English. Giving everyone a regionalised 1st round, gets to 62 teams (36 English), which isn't far off 64 - perhaps solved by giving spots to National League sides ...

You know, I'd rather something like this for the EFL Trophy than the mess that it currently is.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jan 2020 11:17

We should go the French Cup route and start inviting teams from the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Falklands and Gibraltor down.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Jan 2020 12:41

Talking of the French Cup, hasn't a side from Reunion just got to the last 32?

That's like a pub side getting to the 4th round of the FA Cup.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 17 Jan 2020 14:35

Simmops We should go the French Cup route and start inviting teams from the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Falklands and Gibraltor down.

Number of entrants for Coupe de France: 8,506 :shock: That is one hell of a bag full of numbered balls. Even with the remnants of the Commonwealth, we would struggle to get that many.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Jan 2020 14:41

Not quite the 47 million that Winston claimed the other day though!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Jan 2020 14:50

I thought we were never going to talk about that again?!

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Jan 2020 16:04

Winston Biscuit I thought we were never going to talk about that again?!

That was a real Ian "Syria in Africa" moment.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Feb 2020 21:42

Fcuk me that Haaland kid is something else. United should have broken the bank to get him.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Feb 2020 21:56

Beautiful shithouse victory from Atletico.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 18 Feb 2020 22:49

genome Beautiful shithouse victory from Atletico.

can't believe I missed it

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2020 08:34

genome Beautiful shithouse victory from Atletico.

Atletico do what Atletico are going to do.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2020 08:35

Old Man Andrews Fcuk me that Haaland kid is something else. United should have broken the bank to get him.

Doesn't he have a "low" buy-out clause, something like €60m or something like that, if Utd got Champions League football (which isn't outside the realms of possibility) they could make a shock move for him in the summer.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Feb 2020 08:38

Hendo
Old Man Andrews Fcuk me that Haaland kid is something else. United should have broken the bank to get him.

Doesn't he have a "low" buy-out clause, something like €60m or something like that, if Utd got Champions League football (which isn't outside the realms of possibility) they could make a shock move for him in the summer.

I think the issue now is Haaland could have the pick of any team in world football, why would he need United? They really missed a trick not getting him before Dortmund imo.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2020 08:42

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

I think the issue now is Haaland could have the pick of any team in world football, why would he need United? They really missed a trick not getting him before Dortmund imo.

I totally agree, I guess the pull to go to Untied would be:

a) they would literally throw money at him
b) Premier League football where he is almost guaranteed to be the number 1 striker for the next how ever many years. But then of course you have the likes of City and Liverpool to compete with his signature.

United should 100% have made him their top target in January.

I wouldn't be surprised if Haaland ended up at Madrid as the long term Benzema replacement.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Feb 2020 08:44

Hendo

I believe it is €75m but that can only be activated after this next window - so if someone wants to buy him this summer he will cost a lot, lot more. It is more likely that Haaland will stay in Dortmund for the whole of next season and then move on.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Feb 2020 08:46

Stranded
Hendo

I believe it is €75m but that can only be activated after this next window - so if someone wants to buy him this summer he will cost a lot, lot more. It is more likely that Haaland will stay in Dortmund for the whole of next season and then move on.

He has plenty of time on his side and plays in a league where top strikers flourish, agree he won't move for a while. Would love to see him over here eventually, ready made for the Premier League.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Feb 2020 09:26

Dortmund really know how to pick a player, it's quite impressive

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2020 09:28

genome Dortmund really know how to pick a player, it's quite impressive

I guess the only frustrating thing for their fans is that they know the player is going to be sold in the next few years, but I guess if it keeps happening it is fine :)

Reminds me of a time when Atletico went through a stage of just producing or acquiring world class strikers.

You had Aguero, Forlan, Torres, Diego Costa all one after the other.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Feb 2020 09:42

I had a visit to Dortmund in early 2017. It was a business trip where I went on a mission of discovery to learn about their youth set up, community work and training programmes, it was absolutely incredible. Spent 3 days in their head offices talking to cheif exec's, directors of coaching etc. Such a special club.
Highlight of the whole trip was going to a game and standing in the yellow wall, nothing quite like it. You go in about 2 hours before kick off and only see people having fun and laughing and joking with their friends. Drinking in the stands and smoking, singing songs etc. It is more of a social ocassion over there. Despite my limited German everyone was extremely friendly and welcomming to me.
Not only did I watch the game I watched it in the company of Dortmund's head of supporter liason. 4 years prior to getting his job with the club he was actually the head of the Dortmund ultras, he organised fights between supporters and got into all sorts of trouble. Rather than banning him, the club rehabilitated him and used his passion for them for the greater good. He now works directly with the Dortmund ultras to stop violence and act as a link between them and the club. His stories were fascinating about his days as top boy as you can imagine.

English clubs could learn a hell of a lot from how Dortmund operate.

319 posts