Players who virtually won us games/promotion/avoided relegation on their own

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Players who virtually won us games/promotion/avoided relegation on their own

by sandman » 20 May 2020 11:54

Hendo
blueroyals Nick Blackman was only here for a few months of the 2015/2016 season but still finished our top scorer, and if you take his goals & assists away we finished 21st and only narrowly avoided relegation.

Our squad performed so poorly that season that, if the club had allowed votes for him, I'm sure he would have won player of the season.

Because yes, if you take away his goals and assists, no one else would've scored or provided assists with him not being in the team.

You can apply that to any player in our history and the history of all clubs. Someone would have scored goals without Alfie, Cureton, Forster, Quinn, Senior the list goes on.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Players who virtually won us games/promotion/avoided relegation on their own

by Hendo » 20 May 2020 12:01

sandman
Hendo
blueroyals Nick Blackman was only here for a few months of the 2015/2016 season but still finished our top scorer, and if you take his goals & assists away we finished 21st and only narrowly avoided relegation.

Our squad performed so poorly that season that, if the club had allowed votes for him, I'm sure he would have won player of the season.

Because yes, if you take away his goals and assists, no one else would've scored or provided assists with him not being in the team.

You can apply that to any player in our history and the history of all clubs. Someone would have scored goals without Alfie, Cureton, Forster, Quinn, Senior the list goes on.

Exactly.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 May 2020 12:03

Sutekh
Franchise FC
SCIAG I do think we’d have stayed up if Coppell had been less loyal to Sonko and instead picked someone more reliable, like Andre Bikey. But the margins were so narrow that we can blame literally everyone and still be correct.

Failing to put the finishing touches to signing Gary Cahill didn't help

As I recall Reading were also at the time very heavily linked with signing proven PL players Matthew Taylor and Gary O’Neil but got the likes of Fae and Matejovsky instead. Not sure whose bright idea that was, whether it was doing things cheap again or whether those players just didn’t want to come, but I’m sure Reading would have been comfortable in the PL if they had arrived at the club.

I know Scott Brown turned us down for Celtic...you'd like to think if the opportunity was there for players such as O'Neill and Matt Taylor we'd have gone for it. You can only speculate the cost, but it's reasonable to assume it would have cost less than relegation.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 May 2020 12:07

That season under Mark Mcgee - the football was just sublime. I remember the feeling and watching the match knowing I would be entertained and we would outplay the opposition, which happened time and time again.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 May 2020 10:35

paultheroyal That season under Mark Mcgee - the football was just sublime. I remember the feeling and watching the match knowing I would be entertained and we would outplay the opposition, which happened time and time again.

The correct term on this forum is FSB.

Thanks.