The effect of the break

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

The effect of the break

by Simmops » 30 May 2020 07:46

Do you think the extended break would have a negative impact on the team and when we get back do you think the rust will show or it could actually be a blessing? I am hoping other teams around us will falter. We are in no danger of going down but only 6 points away from playoffs. So In theory a good run from now could do it. Do you think this break could be a good thing and we could regroup and gain momentum, or this season should be a wrote off?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The effect of the break

by Hound » 30 May 2020 08:21

No idea to be honest, don’t think anyone does

Lots of variables with the hot weather, no crowds etc (certainly wouldn’t expect that to effect us like it might Leeds for example)

Though if I had to guess, suspect we’ll carry on a bit like we were - upper mid table form and finish about 12th

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 May 2020 08:56

In my view the ‘break’ is effectivelya new season. I think we will see lots of weird results. Some teams will simply not show up, for a mid table side there will be little motivation to treat these rump games as more than a preseason run out.
The old rule of thumb that you can’t judge the league until you’ve played 10 games suggests this will be a very random set of games.
Luckily for us it’s a meaningless time so I’m going to just ignore it. I literally don’t care and won’t bother watching any games.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 30 May 2020 09:24

I reckon it could have a little of a negative effect on the side. We were having a little run before the break. Maybe it might be like a lengthened international break. Like OP said, we're safe, but only 6 behind the play-offs. Maybe those sides in the play-offs might falter. We will see when we get going again. Quick question: when is the restart? I've not seen anything written in getreading or the Chronicle. I know they're training, though.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 30 May 2020 09:51

Franconian Royal I reckon it could have a little of a negative effect on the side. We were having a little run before the break. Maybe it might be like a lengthened international break. Like OP said, we're safe, but only 6 behind the play-offs. Maybe those sides in the play-offs might falter. We will see when we get going again. Quick question: when is the restart? I've not seen anything written in getreading or the Chronicle. I know they're training, though.

All Championship squads now back in training, and likely that our first/next game will be 3 weeks today (Sat June 20th).
And if the games are kept in the same order as were scheduled to be played, we will be at home to Stoke on Sat 20th.

Looking forward to seeing a few mates, couple of beers in Spoons before the game...then a top up ale outside the East stand game before the game.....actually, wait a minute.....

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 30 May 2020 11:27

Nameless In my view the ‘break’ is effectivelya new season. I think we will see lots of weird results. Some teams will simply not show up, for a mid table side there will be little motivation to treat these rump games as more than a preseason run out.
The old rule of thumb that you can’t judge the league until you’ve played 10 games suggests this will be a very random set of games.
Luckily for us it’s a meaningless time so I’m going to just ignore it. I literally don’t care and won’t bother watching any games.

Why wouldn't you watch any of the games - what better things do you have to do of a weekend? Paint the fence for the 10th time? We're in touch of the playoffs and as you say the reset button has been pressed - all our injured players are back? I think it's going to be very entertaining and yet we don't really have too much risk of going down.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 May 2020 11:28

Presumably once games resume they will need to address the issue of season ticket holders.....

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 May 2020 14:29

Jagermesiter1871
Nameless In my view the ‘break’ is effectivelya new season. I think we will see lots of weird results. Some teams will simply not show up, for a mid table side there will be little motivation to treat these rump games as more than a preseason run out.

Why wouldn't you watch any of the games - what better things do you have to do of a weekend? Paint the fence for the 10th time?

LOL

in a way we are quite fortunate being in the position we are. Agree with all others have said, will be some odd results, for a whole host of reasons, in theory we could Nick a PO spot bit unlikely so odd results won’t impact us like they will those fighting relegation or going for promotion.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 30 May 2020 14:42

Its not quite like starting again in August though as all the teams have the same players, but I guess sides carrying a lot of injuries at the time we stopped will have benefited, and the warmer weather in June/July should benefit sides that move the ball rather than the hard running more direct sides.

I've no idea having said that how we will fare - thank god we're safe.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 May 2020 15:41

Guys, we're 8pts off the play-offs, not 6.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 30 May 2020 17:19

Also, when would the following season start? Do they have a proposed date/month for that?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 May 2020 18:37

Notts Royal Also, when would the following season start? Do they have a proposed date/month for that?

Pure speculation - they’ll want a very short pre-season while the fixture computer does its magic and then get started after two or three weeks.

Season has to end promptly to ensure the Euros can go ahead, to prevent indefinite disruption (particularly as WC22 is going to impact 21/22 and 22/23 seasons) and to keep the money flowing. Players have had their rest. Let’s go.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 May 2020 18:47

I’m not sure if it’s been covered elsewhere but will they be continuing to televise games as they did for player of ifollow or whatever it’s called, but make it available to all?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 May 2020 19:10

CountryRoyal I’m not sure if it’s been covered elsewhere but will they be continuing to televise games as they did for player of ifollow or whatever it’s called, but make it available to all?

Think it’s more likely all the champ stuff will be sky red button. Just a guess though

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 May 2020 19:16

Impossible to tell but every team is in the same boat. Only target is to when the first game back. Games will be thick and fast, probably looking to play Sat, midweek, Sat and look to get regular season sorted in 4 weeks to allow play-offs to be done by end of July.

New season to start first or second weekend in September.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 May 2020 21:50

Could they shorten next season a little by playing more mid week games?

I know some may complain too many fixtures to frequently but it would be the same for all teams.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 May 2020 22:36

Jagermesiter1871

Why wouldn't you watch any of the games - what better things do you have to do of a weekend? Paint the fence for the 10th time? We're in touch of the playoffs and as you say the reset button has been pressed - all our injured players are back? I think it's going to be very entertaining and yet we don't really have too much risk of going down.

Well as I ha Ben never watched a Reading game live on TV I see no reason to start now when these are , in my view at least, not real competitive games but just a ‘contractual obligation’ exercise.
I can find plenty of better things to do.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 31 May 2020 11:55

Don’t know about season ticket holders.I did think we could maybe we would get priority on a direct televised link to the game.But you can imagine the uproar.Plus we would suddenly become very popular with other fans breaking the regs and wanting to come round to watch.The red button would disadvantage non Sky supporters.However presumably the Club is desperate for cash.How much money did they make off Sky on red button games ?
Legally I suppose Season Ticket holders should get a refund on the closed games;however there might be something in terms and conditions.Anyway how much would we get back ? £50 ?If it helps the Club,then I don’t mind chucking that into the pot.
Usually about now we start to get emails about renewing season tickets.That would be a different matter all together.I haven’t checked ,but didn’t we need one more win to be safe ?
The old season should be the pre season;we then get right into the new season.God knows how the Club raise cash;maybe a subscription link ?We are all hoping these scientists come up with a vaccine.But this side of Xmas looks unlikely.Its an absolute mess.A lot of Clubs will no doubt go bust.But we the fans are so reliant on football in this Country;that I am sure they will re-emerge -although any player below Prem level is likely to be on a much lower wage-maybe by as much as a quarter Of their old salary.
However the friends and relatives of the 40000 dead,couldn’t give an FCUK.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 31 May 2020 12:06

Westwood52 Don’t know about season ticket holders.I did think we could maybe we would get priority on a direct televised link to the game.But you can imagine the uproar.Plus we would suddenly become very popular with other fans breaking the regs and wanting to come round to watch.The red button would disadvantage non Sky supporters.However presumably the Club is desperate for cash.How much money did they make off Sky on red button games ?
Legally I suppose Season Ticket holders should get a refund on the closed games;however there might be something in terms and conditions.Anyway how much would we get back ? £50 ?If it helps the Club,then I don’t mind chucking that into the pot.
Usually about now we start to get emails about renewing season tickets.That would be a different matter all together.I haven’t checked ,but didn’t we need one more win to be safe ?
The old season should be the pre season;we then get right into the new season.God knows how the Club raise cash;maybe a subscription link ?We are all hoping these scientists come up with a vaccine.But this side of Xmas looks unlikely.Its an absolute mess.A lot of Clubs will no doubt go bust.But we the fans are so reliant on football in this Country;that I am sure they will re-emerge -although any player below Prem level is likely to be on a much lower wage-maybe by as much as a quarter Of their old salary.

Hell I just checked the table didn’t remember how much promotion and relegation was still up for grabs for mid table teams.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 May 2020 13:26

Westwood52 Don’t know about season ticket holders.I did think we could maybe we would get priority on a direct televised link to the game.But you can imagine the uproar.Plus we would suddenly become very popular with other fans breaking the regs and wanting to come round to watch.The red button would disadvantage non Sky supporters.However presumably the Club is desperate for cash.How much money did they make off Sky on red button games ?

Well they haven’t managed a vaccine in the 50 plus years coronavirus has been around so I’m not holding my breath on there being a working one anytime soon for this latest strain.

I should imagine there will need to be at least a month gap between the end of the playoffs (presuming they’re still held) and the start of the next season as the various leagues will need to work out fixture lists and confirm which competitions will and won’t be cancelled. Therefore you’re probably looking at mid September for the earliest start of next season.

Of course the other issue will be the fans being allowed through the turnstiles again and what that revenue will mean to clubs being able to continue to operate over the course of a season. Personally think that if you can allow people into shops and restaurants then you can allow them to return to sporting events so it’s then just a question of what percentage is allowed for every 100 a ground can hold. Clubs at all levels will need to know if they can fully reopen or whether there will be restrictions ASAP (and the further away from the top of the PL they are the more reliant they will be on fans being allowed back).

Lastly I believe clubs want FIFA to keep the transfer window open throughout the season so as to maximise options on player movement. Being able to sell a player to another club or get them away on loan at any time could help keep lower clubs afloat. Wondering also whether FFP rules will be suspended (or at least given a lot more flexibility) until next summer to allow clubs time to get through it all.