The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7491 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by andrew1957 » 02 Jul 2020 18:20

Royals and Racers
andrew1957
Royals and Racers It was suggested earlier in the week that Azeez had also gone- seen him a few times and not rated him at all.

From what I have seen in U23 games I don't think Medford-Smith or Burley are good enough for Championship level - although they could do a job at perhaps L2 level and some players develop later so who knows. I suppose with finances as they are we have only retained players we think have a genuine chance to make Championship level.

Like you very surprised we kept Azeez as he did not do much when I have seen him. But we had no strikers apart from 18 year old McGiff in the U23 squad after the release of Liddle and House.

Nahum Melvin- Lambert scored quite a few goals for the U 18`s so might be ready to step up.

He looks a good prospect but he is only 17 so would think he would mainly play at U18 for 2020/21 but he might get a chance of some U23 game time.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 02 Jul 2020 18:25

andrew1957
Royals and Racers
andrew1957
From what I have seen in U23 games I don't think Medford-Smith or Burley are good enough for Championship level - although they could do a job at perhaps L2 level and some players develop later so who knows. I suppose with finances as they are we have only retained players we think have a genuine chance to make Championship level.

Like you very surprised we kept Azeez as he did not do much when I have seen him. But we had no strikers apart from 18 year old McGiff in the U23 squad after the release of Liddle and House.

Nahum Melvin- Lambert scored quite a few goals for the U 18`s so might be ready to step up.

He looks a good prospect but he is only 17 so would think he would mainly play at U18 for 2020/21 but he might get a chance of some U23 game time.

He`s a big lad for 17 :)

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Jul 2020 21:12

Saw Odimayo play in centre midfield for U23s away at West Brom this season and thought he was the best Reading player on the pitch that night. Little surprised he went and I am little surprised at house going as he’s a bit more of an old school centre forward.

Also liked one of the centre backs, Dorsett.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jul 2020 21:17

Royals and Racers
andrew1957
Royals and Racers It was suggested earlier in the week that Azeez had also gone- seen him a few times and not rated him at all.

James Lambert's son? If he's anything like his old man, we've got a great player on our hands.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2020 21:36

andrew1957
Snowflake Royal
andrew1957
Burley did do ok in the cup but looked a bit shaky in some U23 games I saw. Thought Odimayo was definitely the better of the two in the U23 games I have seen.

Probably in a normal year several would have been given a 12 month extension but we are where we are.

In what I saw of pre-season I thought Odimayo looked a lot better than Osho, but I don't know a lot of the youth players well and with them both playing CB I may have mixed them up, because Odimayo is gone and Osho is still here.

Odimayo and Osho played as a pair at Plymouth in the League Cup game in August which I attended and I thought they both did well. Odimayo is a ball playing CB who takes the ball up. Thought he had bags of potential but did have concentration lapses at times. Osho is older and probably a tad more reliable - although he might be gone at the end of the season too as he is out of contract then.

Quite sad to see so many young players go and most likely few will find decent clubs this summer after Covid. Probably this will be the end of many careers at EFL level.

Is always a bit sad but goes with the territory I suppose

From my limited viewing I suspect most of them will find themselves in the upper tiers of non league, which Still gives them an opportunity to forge a career

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Jul 2020 22:45

Odimayo is a good player but only a year younger than McIntyre and the same age as Holmes - just too many people between him and the first team. Burley had it even harder but tbh I never rated him - probably the worst Academy graduate to play for the first team since Peter Castle/Darren Campbell.

Medford-Smith is only a few months younger than Omar Richards who has been playing in the first team for three years. It never really looked like it could happen for him. Could still be a pro but as Andrew says it will probably be at League 2/National level.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Jul 2020 22:51

Two others I want to pick out -

Liam Driscoll was a very solid goalkeeper, good distribution, good handling. We have a very high standard for goalkeepers and he isn’t the first to fail it. Hopefully he’s a Ben Hamer rather than a Dan Lincoln.

Ethan Coleman could have been a really good player, was a very talented teenager and was recognised by England earlier than Loader was. I think his growth spurt made him a little less agile and he developed into an absolute shithouse on the pitch. Still has a good passing range and shithousery goes a long way in the lower leagues. But another one who never really looked ready to step up.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Jul 2020 23:51

Football is no different to the wider economy. Days of bloated squads are over for the foreseeable future. Be lots of footballers vying for work.

Can see the cup competitions being lost entirely next season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Jul 2020 08:16

SCIAG Two others I want to pick out -

Liam Driscoll was a very solid goalkeeper, good distribution, good handling. We have a very high standard for goalkeepers and he isn’t the first to fail it. Hopefully he’s a Ben Hamer rather than a Dan Lincoln.

Ethan Coleman could have been a really good player, was a very talented teenager and was recognised by England earlier than Loader was. I think his growth spurt made him a little less agile and he developed into an absolute shithouse on the pitch. Still has a good passing range and shithousery goes a long way in the lower leagues. But another one who never really looked ready to step up.

To be fair to Dan, he’s now playing county cricket for Middlesex :wink:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Jul 2020 10:55

Hendo
SCIAG Two others I want to pick out -

To be fair to Dan, he’s now playing county cricket for Middlesex :wink:

Not sure I see that lasting with his batting average of 12 :wink:

Jon Henly maybe a better example.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 03 Jul 2020 11:23

Pepe the Horseman
Royals and Racers
andrew1957

James Lambert's son? If he's anything like his old man, we've got a great player on our hands.

No

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 03 Jul 2020 12:12

Disappointed to see Ben House go, given how few goalscorers the Academy produces.

Poor lad got on the Academy Board merely for a five minute micro-cameo in a cup tie before being sacrificed when we had a red carded defender.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 03 Jul 2020 12:36

And Smith is still around? Presumably too old for Academy and not many trees pulled up elsewhere?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Jul 2020 12:48

Fox Talbot Disappointed to see Ben House go, given how few goalscorers the Academy produces.

Poor lad got on the Academy Board merely for a five minute micro-cameo in a cup tie before being sacrificed when we had a red carded defender.

Agree - would have kept him for at another season

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Jul 2020 13:34

Fox Talbot Disappointed to see Ben House go, given how few goalscorers the Academy produces.

Didn't show much when on loan at Swindon.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jul 2020 16:03

Fox Talbot And Smith is still around? Presumably too old for Academy and not many trees pulled up elsewhere?

Didn't think much of House when I've seen him tbh.

Smith did ok at Cambridge. I suspect they'd happily take him off our hands, but the wages will likely be an issue

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jul 2020 18:43

Hound
Fox Talbot And Smith is still around? Presumably too old for Academy and not many trees pulled up elsewhere?

Didn't think much of House when I've seen him tbh.

Smith did ok at Cambridge. I suspect they'd happily take him off our hands, but the wages will likely be an issue

Yeah, no sign he was better than their level. And they're pretty shit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jul 2020 19:08

Wikipedia tells me 8 goals in 30 games. So adequate for that level but nothing to suggest we should take him back

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Jul 2020 20:18

A goal or assist every 2.7 matches. Just about good enough but not pulling up any trees. Probably at his level.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 03 Jul 2020 20:19

Smith had a good period at Cambridge but then got glandular fever - effectively ending his season.

Worth another look pre-season given our financial situation and the lack of a back-up target man to cover for the always injured Joao.

7491 posts