The Non - League thread

10440 posts
Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Non - League thread

by Simmops » 19 Jul 2020 10:56

My local team in the Isthmian league have folded as the council haven't let them stop their rent since football finished and they can't survive. Shame that is.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 19 Jul 2020 12:06

Sutekh
There have been 6 teams in the NL playoffs for 2/3 years (and I think it’s the same at steps 1-4) it’s just done to widen the end of season interest but with home advantage given to the sides that finish higher. It’s not just some special thing concocted because of the virus.

...yeah - more or less what I meant to write - it was late :wink: ... the 'expanded' bit was to supposed to account for why this time round, there were sides included from below 7th in some cases (e.g. Barnet) due to PPG, not that there were more of them.

NL POs have been along the lines of Qualifying Eliminators 4th v 7th/5th v 6th then winners at 2nd & 3rd; then Final for a couple of years as stated.

STEP03-04 Play Offs initially had a straight 4 team divisional KOs last season:

Although STEP03 THEN had to include an additional 'Super-Play Off' phase in 18/19 following the introduction of a new STEP03 league in 18/19 [so 8 teams for 6 places]
As per prior seasons, 3 teams were relegated each from the North and South leaving 6 vacancies to fill. Each of the winners of the four Step 3 leagues were automatically promoted to the National Leagues North & South for 2019–20.

... so NOT all STEP03 league PO winners earned promotion. .. and there wasn't actually a Super Final Play Off just promotion for the two winners (Tonbridge Angels and Kings Lynn)
Haven't checked to see if that is required at all this season - pretty doubtful as they have just cut relegation slots at STEP02 altogether and both divisions are expanding to 24.

- there have also been byes awarded in the past from STEPS 01-04 where sides have been deemed ineligible for Promotion
e.g. last season's National South only had one eliminator tie as Concord Rangers were not permitted to compete - giving Chelmsford a bye to the S-F, where they lost to Welling - who then lost to Woking in the Final....

.. the other major difference this season of course, which is due to 'things viral' is it hasn't been the straight 2nd - 7th selection due to the PPG adjustments.

UPDATE :NATS Slough humbled 0-3 @ Arbour this PM vs Dartford other 'eliminator' PO Bath v Dorking KO later this afternoon.

In the Northern section: Altrincham edge past Chester 3-2 ; Brackley host Gateshead @ 16:00.
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 19 Jul 2020 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Jul 2020 17:01

Simmops My local team in the Isthmian league have folded as the council haven't let them stop their rent since football finished and they can't survive. Shame that is.

Which team is that?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jul 2020 17:08

Give him time to make something up tmesis .....

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Jul 2020 17:12

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Jul 2020 17:13

tmesis
Simmops My local team in the Isthmian league have folded as the council haven't let them stop their rent since football finished and they can't survive. Shame that is.

Which team is that?

Not saying because it will give away my location and I can't do that.

It's near Brighton.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 19 Jul 2020 18:20

.... and the NATS POs see Dartford progress to a tie at Havant; Dorking hung on at Twerton to win 2-1 and they're off to Weymuff.

Will check on the NATN games played today, later - Brackley's tie v Gateshead went to pens.

EDIT : Gateshead win 6-5 on pens and go to Boston - the lunchtime winners Altrincham travel to York - who pre-PPG application were in 1st place.
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 19 Jul 2020 19:35, edited 2 times in total.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Jul 2020 18:23

Four Of Clubs .... and the NATS POs see Dartford progress to a tie at Havant; Dorking hung on at Twerton to win 2-1 and they're off to Weymuff.

Will check on the NATN games played today, later - Brackley's tie v Gateshead went to pens.

How on earth does It work out that Brackley in OXFORD, are in the National North?! Their travel bills and time must be unsustainable.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 19 Jul 2020 20:01

Brackley is in Northamptonshire not Oxford.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Jul 2020 20:30

Royality creeps In Brackley is in Northamptonshire not Oxford.

:|

Basically the same thing

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jul 2020 13:38

Simmops
Four Of Clubs .... and the NATS POs see Dartford progress to a tie at Havant; Dorking hung on at Twerton to win 2-1 and they're off to Weymuff.

How on earth does It work out that Brackley in OXFORD, are in the National North?! Their travel bills and time must be unsustainable.

Same reason the likes of Gloucester have been in the Northern section. Basically the NLS and NLN between them have more of what you’d call “southern area” located clubs than northern and they obviously have to draw the lines of constitution somewhere. Gloucester and Brackley are very near M5 and M1 junctions respectively and so are foisted into the Northern section. May sound daft but when you consider the number of SE based clubs in the NLS and factor in travel in, through and around London, particularly for midweek games, it makes some sense to place these clubs in the northern section. Obviously they’d be shuffled back to the NLS if the geographical make up sufficiently alters.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Jul 2020 07:49

Afc Bury and Isle of man fc in the North West County league

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 25 Jul 2020 20:33

i) AFC Bury said to begin by sharing at Radcliffe for next season - the owner of Gigg Lane is still trying to sort out an entry for a revived/Phoenix-like alternative Bury up at STEP02 where there may still be a vacancy. The National could try & plug it with some other club. Might prove difficult as I think they knocked back someone on appeal from a relegation slot elsewhere.

ii) interesting travel conundrums on and off IoM - does not seem as straightforward as the Channel Island Clubs' options down here in the COCO & Isthmian - where Gatwick is a fairly handy platform for both leagues.
Essentially they have to come up with a similar expensive method of air travel on/off Manx or use the ferries that have restrictive early/late sailing times - initial ideas include having home KOs on Sat eve ?
Not sure how they'll sort out away trips - especially midweek assuming they have to have them. I think the ferry crossing times are a considerably more/longer than to/fro IoW for example.

Play-Off update:

NAT Finals all sorted now -
STEP 1 National National will be Harrogate v Notts Co @ Wembley a week Sun .
STEP 2 National South : Dartford won at Havant and I think now need to travel to the Bob Lucas Stadium where Weymuff just edged past Dorking Wanderers this PM 3-2. Hosts 2 up v early on Wanderers levelled but were undone by a goal in the 8 mins added on.
STEP 2 National North : Altrincham won @ York and travel Boston who overcame Gateshead 5-3 - if I've got the finishing places right after PPG :?

General views being posted on the NL forum, is that STEPS 1&2, 5&6 will start early/mid Sept with 3&4 a week later.
FA Cup preliminary rounds may be commencing midweek amidst these - if they cannot , then entries for the lowest levels of Grassroots (STEP06) might have to be restricted further than they already are.

UPDATE: Max entries for 20/21 FA Cup are said to be 736 - currently FA have announced they have c. 890 applications - the Extra Preliminary Round has been set for Tue Sept 1st - fair number will miss out.
As the 19/20 season at those levels were deemed null & void -Positions/PPG will not apply as it has done previously: it appears that a draw willl take place to determine entrants from STEP06.
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 25 Jul 2020 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jul 2020 20:52

Four Of Clubs i) AFC Burybsaid to begging sharing at Radcliffe next season - the owner of Gigg Lane is still trying to sort out n entry for a revived/Phoenix-like alternative Bury up at STEP02 where there may stil be a vacancy - unless the league plug it with some other club. Might prove difficult as I think they knocked back someone on appeal from a relegation slot elsewhere.
ii) interesting travel conundrums on and off IoM - does not seem as straightforward as the Channel Island Clubs' options down here in the COCO & Isthmian - where Gatwick is a fairly handy platform for both leagues.
Essentially they have to come up with a similar expensive method of air travel on/off Manx or use the ferries that have restrictive early/late sailing times - initial ideas seem to be to have home KOs at Sat eve ?
Not sure how they'll sort out away trips - especially midweek assuming they have to have them. I think the ferry crossing times are a considerably more than to/fro IoW for example.

Play-Off update:

NAT Finals all sorted now -
STEP 1 National National will be Harrogate v Notts Co @ Wembley a week Sun .
STEP 2 National South : Dartford won at Havant and I think now need to travel to the Bob Lucas Stadium where Weymuff just edged past Dorking Wanderers this PM 3-2. Hosts 2 up v early on Wanderers levelled but were undone by a goal in the 8 mins added on.
STEP 2 National North : Altrincham won @ York and travel Boston who overcame Gateshead 5-3 - if I've got the finishing places right after PPG :?

General views being posted on the NL forum, is that STEPS 1&2, 5&6 will start early/mid Sept with 3&4 a week later.
FA Cup preliminary rounds may be commencing midweek amidst these - if they cannot , then entries for the lowest levels of Grassroots (STEP06) might have to be restricted further than they already are.

Re the National League North, they are currently a club short aren’t they, so have to either play being a club short or let “Gigg Lane Bury” join. I suppose they could promote a side from the Northern Premier but surely that would have been confirmed by now if it was going to happen?

Also will supporters be allowed to attend non league games, particularly at the lower levels, where costs to implement signage, “segregation” etc. are likely to be prohIbitive for many. I presume they will be as clubs at that level having to play behind closed doors will just be untenable.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jul 2020 12:47

Sutekh Re the National League North, they are currently a club short aren’t they, so have to either play being a club short or let “Gigg Lane Bury” join. I suppose they could promote a side from the Northern Premier but surely that would have been confirmed by now if it was going to happen?.

Surely South Shields would have a decent case for that NLN slot? They had pretty much already creamed the NP at the early cessation of the season.

Royalist

by Royalist » 31 Jul 2020 22:13

I wonder how they are going to try social distancing at non league. Maybe allow drinking on terraces to avoid clubhouse getting packed out? Wouldn't be much fun once weather goes cold or wet though

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 01 Aug 2020 17:46

STEP02 Final Results from this PM

NATN Boston 0-1 Altrincham
NATS Weymouth 0-0 Dartford - hosts win 3-0 pens

STEP01 Final 15:00 Sun Wembley Harrogate v Notts Co live on BT Sport1

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Aug 2020 17:56

Four Of Clubs STEP02 Final Results from this PM

Welcome back two famous names to the top level in non-league; Altrincham and Weymouth.

Given my record in play off games think I’ll support Notts County tomorrow!

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 01 Aug 2020 20:32

Sutekh
Four Of Clubs STEP02 Final Results from this PM

Welcome back two famous names to the top level in non-league; Altrincham and Weymouth.

Given my record in play off games think I’ll support Notts County tomorrow!

I want Harrogate to win. New team would be nice.

Weren't Boston in the league not that long ago?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Aug 2020 21:09

Harrogate will have about 4 weeks to rip up their 3G pitch and replace it with a grass one should they go up.

10440 posts