The generic transfer thread

10373 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The generic transfer thread

by Hendo » 10 Aug 2020 12:06

Old Man Andrews
Hendo Looks like Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg is off to Spurs.

Not a brilliant signing, but not a terrible signing either.

Decent squad option/Europa League player. I'd be a bit worried if I supported them though, they more or less need a new starting backline imo including a keeper.

Agreed with that to be honest, don't think he is going to be a starter but you wouldn't be worried if he had to start a few games because of injuries or something.

They do need to do something about their back line, Lloris seems to have really gone downhill for some reason. If Utd are going to stick with DDG, I think Spurs could do a lot worse than trying to get Henderson and basically guaranteeing him the starting position.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Aug 2020 12:11

Hendo
Old Man Andrews

Decent squad option/Europa League player. I'd be a bit worried if I supported them though, they more or less need a new starting backline imo including a keeper.

Agreed with that to be honest, don't think he is going to be a starter but you wouldn't be worried if he had to start a few games because of injuries or something.

They do need to do something about their back line, Lloris seems to have really gone downhill for some reason. If Utd are going to stick with DDG, I think Spurs could do a lot worse than trying to get Henderson and basically guaranteeing him the starting position.

Apart from Alderweireld, who is excellent, their starting right and left backs are nowhere near top level and as you say Lloris won't win you too many games. No clue how Aurier starts for them as their regular right back, he is horrific. Big error selling Trippier imo.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Aug 2020 12:17

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Decent squad option/Europa League player. I'd be a bit worried if I supported them though, they more or less need a new starting backline imo including a keeper.

Apart from Alderweireld, who is excellent, their starting right and left backs are nowhere near top level and as you say Lloris won't win you too many games. No clue how Aurier starts for them as their regular right back, he is horrific. Big error selling Trippier imo.

Yeah Toby is class for them. I don't really know who is coming through in terms of youngsters. I think Danny Rose is still a good enough player and is good enough to start at LB for them, but yeah they do need some more defensive options. Trippier was an odd one, but £20m+ is a decent offer and I don't think he was playing that well when they sold him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Aug 2020 12:24

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Yeah Toby is class for them. I don't really know who is coming through in terms of youngsters. I think Danny Rose is still a good enough player and is good enough to start at LB for them, but yeah they do need some more defensive options. Trippier was an odd one, but £20m+ is a decent offer and I don't think he was playing that well when they sold him.

Didn't Rose want to go back up north? Can't see his heart being in it if he goes back there full time. Sounds silly on the face of it but he would be decent back up for Robertson at Liverpool, would surely be hard to turn them down even if it meant him not being a regular starter.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Aug 2020 14:02

BBC reporting this is going to be a swap deal with Spurs sending £3m & Kyle Walker-Peters to Saints. Good deal for all parties I think, although that does leave Spurs without another defender.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Aug 2020 14:41

Hendo

BBC reporting this is going to be a swap deal with Spurs sending £3m & Kyle Walker-Peters to Saints. Good deal for all parties I think, although that does leave Spurs without another defender.

KWP looks to be a decent player, but £12m for a 23 year old defender with only 20 appearances, seems a little steep in "today's climate".

Is the post-covid transfer fee crash a myth? Other than Sheff Utd's derisory bid for Swift, I've not really seen anything to suggest that transfer fees are coming down. I see Everton and West Ham have been linked with a £20m(?!) move for Martin Braithwaite, for example...

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Aug 2020 14:53

Pepe the Horseman
Hendo

KWP looks to be a decent player, but £12m for a 23 year old defender with only 20 appearances, seems a little steep in "today's climate".

Is the post-covid transfer fee crash a myth? Other than Sheff Utd's derisory bid for Swift, I've not really seen anything to suggest that transfer fees are coming down. I see Everton and West Ham have been linked with a £20m(?!) move for Martin Braithwaite, for example...

I think prices will get there. Feels a bit like the housing market at the moment where sellers would rather hold on to their property rather than drop the price. Chelsea are one of few clubs with money. Liverpool dropped out of the Werner transfer because they felt £50m in this climate was too much. Thiago hasn't moved yet because Bayern are holding out for £30m, likewise Dortmund and United being tens of millions apart on Sancho.

We might find, for this summer at least, that the effect of COVID is to reduce volume of transfers, rather than value of them.

Edit: thinking further, I'd expect the Sancho fee to creep up a bit from United's initial offer of £80m and the clubs to come to an agreement now that United have realised available cash in the form of Sanchez leaving.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Aug 2020 15:00

Sanguine
Pepe the Horseman
Hendo

I think prices will get there. Feels a bit like the housing market at the moment where sellers would rather hold on to their property rather than drop the price. Chelsea are one of few clubs with money. Liverpool dropped out of the Werner transfer because they felt £50m in this climate was too much. Thiago hasn't moved yet because Bayern are holding out for £30m, likewise Dortmund and United being tens of millions apart on Sancho.

We might find, for this summer at least, that the effect of COVID is to reduce volume of transfers, rather than value of them.

Edit: thinking further, I'd expect the Sancho fee to creep up a bit from United's initial offer of £80m and the clubs to come to an agreement now that United have realised available cash in the form of Sanchez leaving.

Yeh, I had Werner and Havertz in mind too, but forgot about Chelsea's transfer ban last season, so they must have money to burn.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Aug 2020 15:59

Pepe the Horseman
Sanguine
Pepe the Horseman KWP looks to be a decent player, but £12m for a 23 year old defender with only 20 appearances, seems a little steep in "today's climate".

Yeh, I had Werner and Havertz in mind too, but forgot about Chelsea's transfer ban last season, so they must have money to burn.

Yep - Courtois, Morata and Hazard money to spend.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 10 Aug 2020 16:08

Werner had a release clause that effectively meant Chelsea have got him at half price (providing he replic8s form in the Prem)

Liverpool didn't have the funds available for this...and add in the established front three

will let your own particular bias decide the weights on those to factors :wink:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 Aug 2020 16:09

Liverpool, not wishing presumably to pay the premium that appears to apply to British players, have not bothered to increase their offer for Jamal Lewis of Norwich but have gone for the Olympiakos left-back Tsimikas at about the amount that was offered for Lewis.

Sounds like a sensible purchase for a player who will provide back-up for Robertson and he fits the speedy, bombing forward type of full-back preferred by Klopp.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 Aug 2020 16:13

Sanguine
Pepe the Horseman
Hendo

According to some reports this afternoon Sancho to Man Utd is some way off being a done deal and the player has gone off to training camp.
It appears that Dortmund are in no hurry to do a deal and the club and Sancho may yet wait another year by which time other parties might be interested.

It could turn out to be for the best for Man Utd as surely attention to their defence is much more important than buying yet another forward.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 10 Aug 2020 17:27

South Coast Royal
Sanguine
Pepe the Horseman KWP looks to be a decent player, but £12m for a 23 year old defender with only 20 appearances, seems a little steep in "today's climate".

According to some reports this afternoon Sancho to Man Utd is some way off being a done deal and the player has gone off to training camp.
It appears that Dortmund are in no hurry to do a deal and the club and Sancho may yet wait another year by which time other parties might be interested.

It could turn out to be for the best for Man Utd as surely attention to their defence is much more important than buying yet another forward.

we let in 3 more goals than you! (iirc)

...also, who do you buy?

Ake just went for £40+M, is he any better than Lindelof, Smalling, Bailey etc

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Aug 2020 18:42

Odd, those United defenders. I'd put them alongside players like Sahko. Yes, they are very good (I'd argue at their peak, Smalling the best), but there is just something a little 'budget' about them.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 10 Aug 2020 19:37

Sanguine Odd, those United defenders. I'd put them alongside players like Sahko. Yes, they are very good (I'd argue at their peak, Smalling the best), but there is just something a little 'budget' about them.

Yep, I rate all your CB's the same as Utd's bar VVD...Gomez hasn't had enough time to fcuk it up yet*

VVD has had plenty of mistakes* as well, just the nature of defending.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Aug 2020 12:43

Sheff Utd set to sign Aaron Ramsdale for £18.5m :|

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 15 Aug 2020 14:55

Pepe the Horseman Sheff Utd set to sign Aaron Ramsdale for £18.5m :|

He's a decent keeper. They must not be getting deano back

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Aug 2020 12:45

Simmops
Pepe the Horseman Sheff Utd set to sign Aaron Ramsdale for £18.5m :|

He's a decent keeper. They must not be getting deano back

Another £18m for Bournemouth (is Ramsdale that good though?), that’s almost £60m from 2 players leaving. Just need another £50m now to cover the squad wages. Harry Arter next out maybe?

And, after deducting what Bournemouth paid, it’s cost Sheffield United £17.5m to bring back a player who was on their books 2/3 years ago.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Aug 2020 09:48

Joe Hart to Spurs

Sounds like he's just one for the home grown quota, bit like Rob Green was for Chelsea

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Aug 2020 09:54

Says a lot about Joe Hart. A couple of weeks ago he was giving interviews about how he wanted to rebuild and play football again and now he is off the Spurs for a payday and to be 3rd choice keeper. A bit pathetic really.

10373 posts