FFP? what?

Brain Traysers

Re: FFP? what?

by Brain Traysers » 28 Aug 2020 18:45

From Despair To Where? The way I see it is that big clubs have always had more spending power and more ability to attract better players but there's always been room for a Jack Walker or a Dave Whelan to transform the fortunes of a club through their own generosity.

My issue with Bournemouth isn't that their owner has spent millions but that the media portrayed their rise as some sort of fairytale. If their owner has billions to spend, good luck to them but let's be honest about it.

To me the issue lies less with the money being spent, although it is fairly obscene to see us spending over 200% of our income on wages and I see the value of a wage cap in this respect, but more with having tighter controls or checks on and proper regulation of ownership. FFP didn't stop Steve Dale screwing Bury and it didn't stop the farce at Wigan. That sort of thing puts the game more into disrepute than a multi billionaire sinking £50m of their own money into a football club.

I think this is actually a pretty good argument for the need for some kind of regulations - in both those examples Blackburn post-Walker and Wigan post-Whelan have faced quite severe financial issues and relegation. That suggests the business model is unsustainable, and unless another benefactor is willing to take over the mess, problems are inevitable. In our case, if the Dai's wanted to sell up, nobody sane would take over the club in its current state.

But yes - the complete failure to vet incoming owners is another layer of the incompetence of the people running the game

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Aug 2020 22:07

Nameless
TiagoIlori I think the thing that makes it a bit less risky than last time is that our recruitment is miles better now, last time the only assets we could sell for a good amount were Liam Moore and John Swift, now we have Yakou Meite, George Puscas, John Swift(still), potentially Ovie Ejaria, Michael Olise and Andy Yiadom.

McIntyre is worth a decent amount and Raphael would probably also be pretty saleable. Rhino has to be worth £2 million at least and Joao would sell too. The squad is actually full of good individuals, our problem is finding the way to combine them eff3 tively

McIntyre’s contract expires at the end of the season so didn’t include him. Rino and João would sell for a few million but then again we still had those players that could also sell back then, I’m focusing on the players that could command a good sum in normal circumstances.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2020 07:18

Latest on FFP “rules”

Clubs are now going to report on a 4 year period over the seasons 2017 to 2021 instead of 3 years over the seasons 2017 to 2020.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... e-18833452

Presuming that will give more flexibility to clubs rather than making things more difficult for them. I’ll leave it to those on here with more of a financial understanding to comment.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Aug 2020 10:55

TiagoIlori
Nameless
TiagoIlori I think the thing that makes it a bit less risky than last time is that our recruitment is miles better now, last time the only assets we could sell for a good amount were Liam Moore and John Swift, now we have Yakou Meite, George Puscas, John Swift(still), potentially Ovie Ejaria, Michael Olise and Andy Yiadom.

McIntyre is worth a decent amount and Raphael would probably also be pretty saleable. Rhino has to be worth £2 million at least and Joao would sell too. The squad is actually full of good individuals, our problem is finding the way to combine them eff3 tively

McIntyre’s contract expires at the end of the season so didn’t include him. Rino and João would sell for a few million but then again we still had those players that could also sell back then, I’m focusing on the players that could command a good sum in normal circumstances.

No idea why you exclude players for no apparent reason ! Seems a bizarre argument ,

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2020 15:07

Nameless
WestYorksRoyal
Sutekh
FFP is something that should be completely scrapped as all it does is help maintain the status quo, let alone the complexity involved with monitoring all the different aspects of a club’s accounts. Replacing it with the much mooted squad salary cap makes a lot more sense and would presumably be easier for both the FL and clubs to monitor and understand where they are within its limitations each season.

What is the objective of FFP? Stop clubs spending beyond their means and screwing themselves/relying upon owners?

If that is the objective, it has clearly failed. If the Dais were to walk away now and take the stadium and training ground they own with them, we'd be oxf*rd. Yet we haven't breached FFP.

I'm supportive of regulation that makes clubs sustainable, and that will inevitably support the status quo as big clubs have more resources. But clearly the plight of Bolton and Bury shows the current framework needs improvement. That's before we consider the shitshow at Wigan.

The r ample of the owners walking away is no different to what could have happened any time in the last 30 years. SJM could have done exactly the same. He could have sold off Hogwood for housing, he could have sold the stadium to London Irish and made the club homeless.

Rather less likely though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2020 15:08

WestYorksRoyal Even with FFP lifted, does anyone else think £6m for Swift from Villa is a good deal? Squad is unbalanced with Swift, Ejaria and Olise. Sell Swift and bring in some wide options.

Should be taking it instantly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2020 15:11

Nameless
TiagoIlori
Nameless

No idea why you exclude players for no apparent reason ! Seems a bizarre argument ,

He's explained it pretty well. He's talking only about high value players, because it's those players he doesn't think we had in the same numbers previously.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Aug 2020 15:42

WestYorksRoyal What is the objective of FFP? Stop clubs spending beyond their means and screwing themselves/relying upon owners?

If that is the objective, it has clearly failed. If the Dais were to walk away now and take the stadium and training ground they own with them, we'd be oxf*rd. Yet we haven't breached FFP.

The problem is largely that the league wanted FFP, but the owners didn't, so it got watered down to the extent that it more or less became useless.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Aug 2020 16:32

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
TiagoIlori McIntyre’s contract expires at the end of the season so didn’t include him. Rino and João would sell for a few million but then again we still had those players that could also sell back then, I’m focusing on the players that could command a good sum in normal circumstances.

He's explained it pretty well. He's talking only about high value players, because it's those players he doesn't think we had in the same numbers previously.

Clearly he didn't.