CONFIMRED - Veljko Paunović

434 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED - Veljko Paunović

by morganb » 29 Aug 2020 19:05

Posted on Twitter by
LG Celtics, La Grange, Illinois:

Congratulations Coach Marko Mitrovic! He has accepted a contract to coach at EFL team Reading FC. We wish Marko and Pauno good luck!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2020 19:07

SCIAG
Notts Royal It’s the pure arrogance of Dai that gets me...the arrogance that he expects his club to be promoted and the naiveity in how that goal is achieved. Chucking money doesn’t always work, in fact it rarely works in the Championship. It’s a vastly competitive league and it generally takes years of building. Wolves was a 1 off. He doesn’t understand the English game and fires those who do from their jobs. Utter clown

Chucking money works better than you might think. Historically there has been a strong positive correlation between a club’s wage bill and their final league position. Before Wolves, remember Middlesbrough, Leicester, Cardiff, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Southampton, Reading, West Ham a bunch of times, West Brom even more, QPR, Newcastle again, Reading again, Wigan, Portsmouth, Fulham...

The issue now is that most clubs are throwing money at it. Once upon a time if you lived beyond your means you probably got promoted. Now everyone’s trying it, so lots of people are failing.

The problem is we're really shit at it. We throw big money at mediocrity and have no strategy in who we sign other than ooo he might be goo.. SQUIRREL!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: (Soon to be) CONFIMRED - some kind of Serbian bloke

by URZZZZ » 29 Aug 2020 19:32

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal
WoodleyRoyal
I’m glad you did I also have the same view.

Lol both of you have been down on Bowen and wanting him out for months. Don't try this bullshit of "I like him, but this seems a good move"

You know me. I've been down on every manager since Adkins.....I think this is a positive move. I never wanted Bowen, Gomes, definatly not was furious at Clements appointment and Clarke seemed a small improvement and Stam never convinced me he cared enough for Reading. So I'm happy and you lot are not....1 home win this year clearly makes you think it's an improvement, me? I'm not happy. Bowen, and it's just an opinion, could not take this team further.
When I'm proved wrong, great fire away, but you can't criticize when theres no evidence that it's a bad move.

Agreed with most of that, although there was clearly an improvement from Gomes to Bowen. I wasn't much of a fan but I do think he did deserve next season and can understand his frustration

Still think we were too hasty in sacking both Clarke and Clement. We had ample opportunity to sack Clement when the results and performances were dire yet we only got rid of him when he was learning from mistakes, and picking up points, it was a strange call

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Aug 2020 20:17

Im completely out of the loop, haven't read any of these threads and just got told this happened by my mum now.

What the oxf*rd is actually going on? I'm so confused right now (nice sig.)

What happened to Bowen?
Last edited by Simmops on 29 Aug 2020 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Aug 2020 20:17

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Notts Royal It’s the pure arrogance of Dai that gets me...the arrogance that he expects his club to be promoted and the naiveity in how that goal is achieved. Chucking money doesn’t always work, in fact it rarely works in the Championship. It’s a vastly competitive league and it generally takes years of building. Wolves was a 1 off. He doesn’t understand the English game and fires those who do from their jobs. Utter clown

Chucking money works better than you might think. Historically there has been a strong positive correlation between a club’s wage bill and their final league position. Before Wolves, remember Middlesbrough, Leicester, Cardiff, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Southampton, Reading, West Ham a bunch of times, West Brom even more, QPR, Newcastle again, Reading again, Wigan, Portsmouth, Fulham...

The issue now is that most clubs are throwing money at it. Once upon a time if you lived beyond your means you probably got promoted. Now everyone’s trying it, so lots of people are failing.

The problem is we're really shit at it. We throw big money at mediocrity and have no strategy in who we sign other than ooo he might be goo.. SQUIRREL!

I think that would be a better strategy than the one we actually seem to have, which appears to be signing anyone recommended by Kia Joorbichian, for whatever price he considers reasonable.

That these players might be on his books, and he would get a bigger cut the bigger the fee and wages are, isn't remotely a conflict of interest.

Yes, there have been loads of clubs who've thrown money at the playing side and gained success, but this division is also littered with the bones of clubs who've thrown money at if, and failed miserably. The key is recruiting the right players, who have the mentality to want to succeed in this division. The wrong way is to buy players who are overpriced and overpaid because they aren't really all that good, but were in a promotion-winning squad, or to buy players only coming here because we are paying them much higher wages than other clubs offer.

With our appalling transfer record of the last few years, I have no expectation of us signing anything other than another batch of "pretty-good-on-their-day-but-usually-anonymous" flops.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: (Soon to be) CONFIMRED - Aleksandar Stanojević

by Simmops » 29 Aug 2020 20:19

Jinx :D he is already on ignore along with DD but that is half the forum gone and everyone quotes them anyway

Why are you ignoring me? I have literally never even seen a single post by you before.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Aug 2020 20:21

Simmops Im completely out of the loop, haven't read any of these threads and just got told this happened by my mum now.

What the oxf*rd is actually going on? I'm so confused right now (nice sig.)

What happened to Bowen?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: (Soon to be) CONFIMRED - some kind of Serbian bloke

by The Royal Forester » 29 Aug 2020 20:38

Sutekh
Lower West
Westwood52 Apparently he likes to keep the ball on the deck at all costs

Sounds rather familiar. We create few enough chances as it is.

Caught what various journos said about his teams on BBC Berks

Listening to journalistic comment on BBC Berks earlier about Mr Paunovic’s teams the bits I remember were

1. Teams lack tempo
2. Possession style straight through the middle
3. Prefers 4-2-3-1
4. Tactically no identity as the team tries to adapt to counter the opposition

If all that is true then I think Reading are going to have the same old issues in struggling to create anything and the biggest worry is if there is a lack of tempo, as other teams will just eat you alive.

Anyone else catch any other comments about the style and performance of his teams?

Of course, on the upside, if Reading suddenly manage to acquire 6-8 very talented Premier League class players then it all should work out well - shouldn’t it?

Likes to play out from the back.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Aug 2020 20:45

Well, like all of us, this seems madness And however I look at it I can’t see the logic.

But hey ho it’s happened we can’t control any of it. I wish him and the team all the best and will get behind him hoping he can take us forward, give the guy a chance, as much as it seems bonkers it’s not his fault.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see us languishing near the bottom of the take come December, but I think in our favour is that it will be a relatively weak division, with SWFC on minus 12, Luton, Barnsley, wyecombe, Coventry, and Rotherham.

Also, too early to surmise but how strong will teams like Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield, Birmingham etc be? I’m not saying they will be relegation fodder but there should be enough chance even for us to pick up enough points to stay up. I know that’s not what we want or our aim but it’s some comfort. If we go down they boy we really will deserve it

Let’s buckle up for the ride!

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Aug 2020 20:58

SouthDownsRoyal Well, like all of us, this seems madness And however I look at it I can’t see the logic.

But hey ho it’s happened we can’t control any of it. I wish him and the team all the best and will get behind him hoping he can take us forward, give the guy a chance, as much as it seems bonkers it’s not his fault.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see us languishing near the bottom of the take come December, but I think in our favour is that it will be a relatively weak division, with SWFC on minus 12, Luton, Barnsley, wyecombe, Coventry, and Rotherham.

Also, too early to surmise but how strong will teams like Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield, Birmingham etc be? I’m not saying they will be relegation fodder but there should be enough chance even for us to pick up enough points to stay up. I know that’s not what we want or our aim but it’s some comfort. If we go down they boy we really will deserve it

Let’s buckle up for the ride!

Surely if we manage to get relegated in this division, especially this season, it must be worth some sort of award or statue? I mean pfuck the 106 team and all they did. going down would be a bloody achievement that would take some beating.

scumbag

by scumbag » 29 Aug 2020 21:16

Mark Bowen clearly on Liam Moore's Instagram so must be in Portugal with the squad?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Aug 2020 21:27

scumbag Mark Bowen clearly on Liam Moore's Instagram so must be in Portugal with the squad?

Makes sense for him to be there to do a handover and he will likely be Sporting Director so he is the boss in a sense.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Aug 2020 21:46

As with all of all of those before him...good luck boss

That’s all

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 29 Aug 2020 22:30

I remember another relatively unknown Serb, Slavisa Jokanovic rocking up to Watford in October 2014. Their fans were beside themselves, his Hercules Side relegated the previous season; and sacked by Levski Sofia before that. But Watford were promoted come May 2015. Apparently he and Paunovic are of the same coaching ethos.

I’m gutted for Bowen. But these two ‘could’ work really well together. Especially as we want younger players, which is where Paunovic has proven coaching success.

You’ve got to take the positives; and let the results do the talking. Far too soon to suggest we’ll be languishing near the bottom of the table, in what is a relatively weak championship this season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Aug 2020 23:02

Ian will be proven right

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 29 Aug 2020 23:04

My feeling is that fans are moving from anger towards apathy. I've seen a few posts on here trying to defend the decision, but at the end of the day it's just another wild stab in the dark, hoping it works out. What's the old saying - fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Anyone who believes that this is in anyway a positive move deserves to be upset when it all comes crashing down.

As fans, I guess we just take the long view and hope that this ends with administration and new stable ownership as a League 1/2 club, rather than liquidation.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Aug 2020 23:09

Just take each game (happy or sad) as it comes

If the enjoyment is gone......quit

Somebody (better than I ) mentioned the Div 3 / 4 days.......happy days...less analytical

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Aug 2020 23:58

Not sure if I’ve missed it - how are we pronouncing his name?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 Aug 2020 00:05

Vel-Co Pow-No-Vich

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 30 Aug 2020 00:05

CountryRoyal Not sure if I’ve missed it - how are we pronouncing his name?

I reckon Venko Parnovitch.

434 posts