Pedro Mendes

249 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Pedro Mendes

by CountryRoyal » 13 Sep 2020 10:24

genome Done deal according to Courters (to us)

Will be interesting - sure Baldock, McNulty etc are off. Joao, Puscas, Meite and Mendes is an absolutely quality frontline

Yep all big guys as well which surprises me as I never think of Puscas as being tall but he’s 6’2. :shock:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Sep 2020 10:29

genome Done deal according to Courters (to us)

Will be interesting - sure Baldock, McNulty etc are off. Joao, Puscas, Meite and Mendes is an absolutely quality frontline

Announce promotion.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Sep 2020 10:30

genome
Royal Ginger
Snowflake Royal This "Announce x" trend is just fricking weird as well.

I don’t really understand what the goal is. Are they trying to make the club rush an announcement? Are they peacocking their ‘superior knowledge’? I don’t want to run it into the ground if I’m missing some reference or joke or something.

It's just a joke really, nothing more than that

And a tiresome joke at that. File it alongside “Free XXXX”

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Sep 2020 10:33

You lot can be a miserable bunch sometimes :lol:

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 13 Sep 2020 11:11

CountryRoyal
TiagoIlori Looks like he’s set to join Almeria having flown to Spain on Saturday to finalise a move according to O jogo and A Bola

Can’t find anything more recent than 3 days ago for those, which precedes the chronicles article so I’m not convinced.

That was reported last night. They’ve now picked up on the Reading rumour either way.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2020 11:23

genome You lot can be a miserable bunch sometimes :lol:

Nah, we're just old and don't get yoof culture. Jokes were different in our day. Funny for a start. :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Sep 2020 14:05

21 year old striker, Pedro Manuel Lobo Peixoto Mineiro Mendes is expected to sign early this week, presume he just needs to complete a medical satisfactorily.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... ro-mendes/

Loan with an option to buy.

Completely nonplussed on this, don’t think he’s another Joao so not sure what he’s meant to add to the striking options already available. But then perhaps Reading have identified plan B (e.g. perhaps a front 2 of Puscas and Mendes).

Now really need to shift at least two of Smith, McNulty and Baldock out this window (unless Mendes is meant to be an Academy addition but can’t see that from the fact he wants to play proper regular football).

Famous name matches...

There’s 5 other Portuguese and Brazilian players called Pedro Mendes that I can find reference to and also a “Mr International” competition winner from 2015 and a computer scientist. I say shorten his name to Lobo

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Sep 2020 14:11

Think they’ve done well if it loan/option to buy

If he’s shit we can just get rid

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Sep 2020 14:15

Hound Think they’ve done well if it loan/option to buy

If he’s shit we can just get rid

Surprised anyone is prepared to do this sort of deal with us after we p*ssec off Liverpool by trying to wriggle out of the Ejaria agreement....

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 13 Sep 2020 17:55

It is not that we are signing another striker for me that is the issue, my issue is that we still need some wide players. It does look like me are looking at a front 3 now, but that doesn’t work with the rest of the squad.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 13 Sep 2020 17:57

Not against the signing as long as we sell 2 out of Puscas, Baldock & McNulty.

Fenerbache have just sold a striker so would expect them to put a bid in for Puscas shortly.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Sep 2020 18:03

Notts Royal Not against the signing as long as we sell 2 out of Puscas, Baldock & McNulty.

Fenerbache have just sold a striker so would expect them to put a bid in for Puscas shortly.

Losing Puscas would be disappointing. With him we have potentially 3 really good options. Losing him leaves us with an either/or situation. It’s McNulty, Baldock and Smith we should be looking to sell or loan out.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Sep 2020 18:09

Nameless
Notts Royal Not against the signing as long as we sell 2 out of Puscas, Baldock & McNulty.

Losing Puscas would be disappointing. With him we have potentially 3 really good options. Losing him leaves us with an either/or situation. It’s McNulty, Baldock and Smith we should be looking to sell or loan out.

Agreed. Sell Smith, McNulty and Baldock but not Puscas. The problem is how do you keep all of Joao, Meite, Puscas and Mendes (if he signs) happy? They will all want to start games but two or even three may not make the starting line up on a regular basis.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Sep 2020 18:14

Zip
Nameless

Agreed. Sell Smith, McNulty and Baldock but not Puscas. The problem is how do you keep all of Joao, Meite, Puscas and Mendes (if he signs) happy? They will all want to start games but two or even three may not make the starting line up on a regular basis.

Joao will inevitably get injured anyway so it’s just a matter of two.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2020 18:43

Zip
Nameless

Easier to keep players happy if we are winning.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2020 19:34

Whoever it is that goes, we absolutely need to shift multiple strikers if we're bringing one it.

We mainly seem to be playing one upfront, but we currently have:
Joao
Puscas
Meite
Baldock
McNulty
Smith
Melvin-Lambert

Now Meite is probably going to mostly play wide right. But basically none of the rest after Joao are really anything like Joao or up to playing his role.

We probably want to be shifting:
Smith - probably not that hard, but little money in for him and takes very little off the wages.
McNulty - unlikely to get much for him at all and could be tricky to shift as he'll almost certainly need to take a step down with a paycut, but won't take a great deal off the wages
Baldock - going to be very hard to shift because he'd almost certainly have to accept a big paycut and there seems very little interest in him

We're more likely to be able to sell Puscas, recouping decent money for him. But he's one we don't really want to sell.

So either we're going to have to
a) do a really brilliant job in finding buyers for McNulty and Baldock,
b) bite the bullet and let Puscas go
c) make the signing anyway and have a truly ludicrous number of strikers in the continuing saga of being badly run

Now which will it be?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 13 Sep 2020 19:43

Puscas will be gone. Expect Smith and McNulty to leave as well, and Baldock stays to see out his contract. I’m OK with him staying as a useful squad player but clearly can’t play the sole striker role.

It was interesting in the last few games of last season that Bowen was clearly experimenting with a 2 up front, and tried all combinations of Meite, Baldock and Puscas. Unfortunately I can’t remember any of them working, especially not the Meite / Puscas front two combo

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Sep 2020 19:47

Baldock’s contact is up at the end of the season, isn’t it? If it is, then I’d be fine keeping him as an option, tbf and then just cut our losses at the end of the season if he’s in or out of the squad, I’m not too worried.

Not too worried about Smith as a youth player, if he gets loaned out, fine, if he plays for the u23s this season, fine.

I think McNulty is the one. If we can get him out of the door, that would be good business.

Having Joao, Puscas, Meite and Mendes with Baldock as 1st reserve to that group is fine, imo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2020 19:49

3points Puscas will be gone. Expect Smith and McNulty to leave as well, and Baldock stays to see out his contract. I’m OK with him staying as a useful squad player but clearly can’t play the sole striker role.

It was interesting in the last few games of last season that Bowen was clearly experimenting with a 2 up front, and tried all combinations of Meite, Baldock and Puscas. Unfortunately I can’t remember any of them working, especially not the Meite / Puscas front two combo

Yeah, Meite & Puscas are just too similar in many ways.

Not great first touch, a bit awkward, not great at reading the game. Think either ought to do ok with Baldock though. And should be fine with Joao, because he's just class. Wouldn't mind seeing McNulty with any of the four either.

But it doesn't look much like we'll play with 2 up.

biff

by biff » 13 Sep 2020 20:04

Puscas just let a new house from a friend of mine in Reading. Nothing really to read into it but i suppose it signifies he's thinking longer term?

249 posts