Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a) sponsored by Chris Casper

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2020 16:46

When : Saturday 26th September, 3pm
Where : Cardiff City Stadium, Leckwith Road, Cardiff, CF11 8AZ
Capacity : 33,280
Away Stand : At home in armchair/sofa
What might I see in the area : Feature wall, embarrassing pet antics, complaining wife etc.

Reading are slated to take the amazing start gathered thus far into foreign territory as the club enter the principality for the first of two league games that have to be played over that way.

Cardiff have had an “equal” start to the league season having won 2-0 at Forest after falling 2-0 at home to Sheffield Wednesday the previous week. The club are expected to be one of the stronger sides in the division, after reaching the play offs last season, and manager Neil Harris seems to be quietly improving that squad with some decent acquisitions.

Already added this summer are Liverpool loanee Sheyi Ojo (reportedly was also a target for Reading) and 6’5” Wigan striker Kieffer Moore. Moore is already paying back, having scored all of Cardiff’s goals so far this season, so is going to be the main man for Reading to shackle. Reading’s previous experience of Moore is not good having completely failed to cope with both him (and Wigan) in the 3-0 home stuffing back in February this year - so let’s hope the club have learned.

Given the purchase of Moore and loaning of Ojo I would expect a wide game from Cardiff with plenty of crosses flying into the box to get the benefit of the striker’s height. So I would hope there would be some concentration on defending against that sort of set up in Reading’s training programme this week and Rafael is going to need to command his box well.

Despite the acquisition of Ojo and Moore, Harris is keen to add other attacking options as soon as possible before the end of the window as Adomah, Mendez-Laing and Danny Ward have all left the club and midfielder Lee Tomlin is struggling with a minor injury and it’s doubtful whether he will start the game. Also Sean Morrison and Leandro Bacuna are still with the Bluebirds and no doubt will be anxious to have a “blinder” against their former club.

Reading will be without Andy Yiadom for, it is reckoned, a fair while so Araruna is likely to keep his place in the team. However Reading are being linked with a move for 24 year old Crewe right back Perry Ng so there maybe developments with that in the coming days. In addition centre back Lewis Gibson is expected to arrive on loan from Everton and right winger Rodrigo Riquelme Reche on loan from Atlético Madrid however I would not expect either to be in the starting XI at Cardiff.

Referee

David Webb returns after almost 2 years away, but then it was a 4 year gap between his previous 2 visits

Previously

20 Oct 2018 > Reading 3-1 Millwall
29 Nov 2014 > Norwich City 1-2 Reading
24 Aug 2013 > Blackpool 1-0 Reading
01 Nov 2011 > Nottingham Forest 1-0 Reading
05 Dec 2009 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Reading

Historically

It’s the 31st trip to Cardiff in the league and as you’d expect Cardiff have the upper hand by 13 wins to 8 with 9 draws.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (a) sponsored by Chris Casper

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2020 17:29

Wooo! Thanks!!

Big test this. Meite surely got to start after his goal and shot on target.

..........................Cabral
Araruna, Morrison, Moore, Richards
..............Rinomhota, Laurent
....Meite,...........Olise,............ Ejaria
...........................Joao

For me please.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Sep 2020 17:30

Would bring Meite in after a strong cameo last game and to match Cardiff’s height

Rafael

Araruna
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Rinomhota
Laurent

Meite
Olise
Ejaria

Joao

Bench:
Southwood
McIntyre
Holmes
Aluko
Swift
Baldock
Puscas

If we manage to bring anyone in in the week, would drop Holmes from the bench followed by Baldock/Puscas

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Sep 2020 17:30

Snowflake Royal Wooo! Thanks!!

For me please.

I'd probably go with this as well, only thing for me would be Swift to come in for Ovie and put Olise out wide, possibly but fine with either tbh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2020 17:37

Hendo

For me please.

I'd probably go with this as well, only thing for me would be Swift to come in for Ovie and put Olise out wide, possibly but fine with either tbh.

Yeah, Ovie wasn't great v Barnsley either, but has scored this season. I just don't think Swift works that far forward, for me he's more competing with Laurent for a deeper role, but that then unbalanced us.

Think he might be best as the base of a diamond with Laurent and Rino doing all the running and defending and Ovie / Olise ahead. But that means a lot of change across the rest of the side.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Sep 2020 20:04

Hendo

For me please.

I would go for Snowflakes team but keep Olise out wide and Ejaria in the middle.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Sep 2020 20:57

If we’re concerned about Cardiff being a big side, maybe there’s a case for bringing in Holmes?

And similarly, I think I’d probably leave Olise on the bench. He doesn’t offer as much defensively as his competitors and his versatility in many ways makes him the ideal sub. Very harsh after his first goal.

So that leaves something like:
Rafael

Araruna
Holmes
Morrison
Richards

Rinomhota
Swift
Laurent

Meite
Joao
Ejaria

Subs: Southwood, Moore, McIntyre, Olise, Aluko, Baldock, Puscas

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Sep 2020 21:35

David Webb is a criminal.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Sep 2020 22:30

Old Man Andrews David Webb is a criminal.

What law has he broken

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Sep 2020 22:35

SouthDownsRoyal
Old Man Andrews David Webb is a criminal.

What law has he broken

Crimes against the laws of football.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Sep 2020 09:49

Got a bad feeling about this one. Cardiff got a really good win at Forest in their last game and Kiefer Moore looked very dangerous.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Sep 2020 09:51

SCIAG If we’re concerned about Cardiff being a big side, maybe there’s a case for bringing in Holmes?

And similarly, I think I’d probably leave Olise on the bench. He doesn’t offer as much defensively as his competitors and his versatility in many ways makes him the ideal sub. Very harsh after his first goal.

Rafael

Araruna
Holmes
Morrison
Richards

Rinomhota
Swift
Laurent

Meite
Joao
Ejaria

Fair play to writing all that out etc - but this wont be the team and infact be surprised if 4 of them make the starting 11.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Sep 2020 09:53

paultheroyal
SCIAG If we’re concerned about Cardiff being a big side, maybe there’s a case for bringing in Holmes?

Rafael

Araruna
Holmes
Morrison
Richards

Rinomhota
Swift
Laurent

Meite
Joao
Ejaria

Fair play to writing all that out etc - but this wont be the team and infact be surprised if 4 of them make the starting 11.

Holmes is more likely to be sent out on loan before Sunday than play in this match.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 23 Sep 2020 10:14

paultheroyal

Rafael

Araruna
Holmes
Morrison
Richards

Rinomhota
Swift
Laurent

Meite
Joao
Ejaria

This has piqued my interest - who are the 4 players who will make the starting line-up and who are you going to replace the other 7 with?

Due to recent results you might expect an unchanged side and from the team listed above Holmes won't play so swap with Moore. Would you drop Swift for Olise? Does Meite deserve a starting spot - who loses out?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Sep 2020 10:47

Old Man Andrews Got a bad feeling about this one. Cardiff got a really good win at Forest in their last game and Kiefer Moore looked very dangerous.

I predict Kiefer Moore will fall away later in the season making everyone's snap judgement of him being a player "premier league clubs should have been looking at" to be foolish.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 23 Sep 2020 11:01

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews Got a bad feeling about this one. Cardiff got a really good win at Forest in their last game and Kiefer Moore looked very dangerous.

I predict Kiefer Moore will fall away later in the season making everyone's snap judgement of him being a player "premier league clubs should have been looking at" to be foolish.

No snap judgement from this quarter.
We have seen quite a bit of him over the years and I would have liked us to have been in for him when Wigan started their fire sale.
With Joao's injury record he would have been a useful addition to our squad and I think you have been a bit dismissive of his ability.

Also it would have made Zip happy to have another Welsh player in our squad. :wink:
Last edited by South Coast Royal on 23 Sep 2020 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Sep 2020 11:02

South Coast Royal
NewCorkSeth

We have seen quite a bit of him over the years and I would have liked us to have been in for him when Wigan started their fire sale.
With Joao's injury record he would have been a useful addition to our squad and I think you have been a bit dismissive of his ability.

He has impressed me every time I have seen him play live for club and country.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Sep 2020 11:02

Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal
NewCorkSeth I predict Kiefer Moore will fall away later in the season making everyone's snap judgement of him being a player "premier league clubs should have been looking at" to be foolish.

He has impressed me every time I have seen him play live for club and country.

Yeah, was very good for Wigan when we played them at home last season, caused us all sorts of issues.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Sep 2020 11:03

South Coast Royal
NewCorkSeth

Also it would have made Zip happy to have another Welsh player in our squad. :wink:

I feel like there was lots said on the football podcasts about his "premier league" ability. He looks a decent player but wouldn't say he is going to pull up trees.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Sep 2020 11:11

paultheroyal

Rafael

Araruna
Holmes
Morrison
Richards

Rinomhota
Swift
Laurent

Meite
Joao
Ejaria

Wasn’t intending on predicting the team, merely suggesting who I would go with.

I’m guessing you’d bring Olise and Moore in alongside new signings at right back and left wing?

288 posts