England - the future....

3567 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: England - the future....

by Zip » 15 Oct 2020 18:15

Southgate has to be judged on major tournaments and not on friendlies and Nation League games. That is the true test. In his first major tournament England were knocked out in ET in the semi final. Then in the subsequent Euro qualifiers the side qualified for the Finals with ease.

If England oxf*rd up next Summer then fair enough. Fair game for him to be sacked but for heavens sake he is experimenting and looking at his options. Judge him next summer.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Oct 2020 18:19

Sutekh
bcubed
Sanguine That last bit is what is most surprising Vic - that last year we were playing decent, attacking football and Southgate genuinely looked like the right man to take this exciting group of players forward. I don't really understand where his change in approach has come from.

It's a cliche about players getting better when they aren't involved, but in this case I think Raheem Sterling, if he wasn't already, has become the first name on the England team sheet over the last two weeks.

But he already was the first name imo and the fast attacking football you mentioned revolved around Sterling. We look devoid of ideas without him

Is being in that position a problem with the manager or just down to England’s lack of talent?

I wouldn’t say Southgate doesn’t have his faults but who else is there who takes people on as regularly and successfully as Sterling?

Personally I would suggest Grealish is a must when Sterling is unavailable

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Oct 2020 00:51

South Coast Royal Also I think he may have been persuaded not to start with Gomez, Trent, Henderson or Calvert-Lewin because of the Merseyside derby at Saturday lunchtime.
I wish he had done the same with Pickford but I suppose that Pope will just have to bide his time.

That’s a good point about the Everton and Liverpool players actually

On goalies though, from what I can gather, Pope hasn’t had a great start to the season either, so whilst he’s normally a reliable option, maybe the decision was more difficult last night

In time, Henderson could be the man to fix our goalie problem but considering he doesn’t play regularly for his club, it’s rather difficult to justify his inclusion at the moment

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Oct 2020 00:53

bcubed
Sutekh
bcubed
But he already was the first name imo and the fast attacking football you mentioned revolved around Sterling. We look devoid of ideas without him

Is being in that position a problem with the manager or just down to England’s lack of talent?

I wouldn’t say Southgate doesn’t have his faults but who else is there who takes people on as regularly and successfully as Sterling?

Personally I would suggest Grealish is a must when Sterling is unavailable

I think the problem is the game is evolving from possession tika taka style to a counter attacking system

The way we play is so heavily designed on possession and breaking through the lines, which I’m just not sure the current game is about. We need more pace in the team and as you say, those comfortable at taking a man on

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Oct 2020 12:18

Friendly with Ireland announced for 12th November, which means for a second month, England will play three times in a week. Why?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Oct 2020 13:21

Sanguine Friendly with Ireland announced for 12th November, which means for a second month, England will play three times in a week. Why?

Agree it’s utterly ludicrous. Friendlies should be totally binned, it’s bad enough having the stupid Nations League in operation when really the international breaks for this season should have been scrapped and the dates given back to the domestic leagues. Any actually necessary internationals (ie the remaining Euro qualifiers) needing to be played could then have been scheduled as midweek fixtures with no or minimal interference with league programmes).

Really do not understand the need unless it’s greed from the FAs to try and sell another game to a TV company somewhere as they can’t make any money through ticket sales to the pointless Nations League games.

But no let’s do the really stupid and then you wonder why the top sides whine and moan about players playing much football and wanting to do their own thing in their way (for as much money as they can get).

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Nov 2020 12:58

Jamal Musiala of Bayern given another nudge by the England setup - he has represented both English and German youth sides, but has received his first call up to the England u21s squad following his early season form.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Nov 2020 01:09

Only Southgate would name a 29 man squad and still include 13 defenders :|

Still, most of our goals come from corners and freekicks so every cloud and all that

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Nov 2020 10:57

Jude Bellingham gets his first senior call-up, with Ward-Prowse out injured.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Nov 2020 13:08

Too soon. We are desperately light in central midfield.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Nov 2020 14:04

Old Man Andrews Too soon. We are desperately light in central midfield.

When everyone is fit, our midfield options should be Rice (against bigger nations only), Henderson, Ward Prowse, Maddison, Grealish and Foden

Agree it’s too early for Bellingham, and Winks isn’t good enough

I quite like Lallana as a player but he’s probably too old now to justify a spot

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Nov 2020 14:53

Reports that Joe Gomez has suffered 'a serious leg injury' in training. He came back from an ACL injury a couple of years ago.

Liverpool's defence down to the bare bones - I guess it will be Fabinho and Matip for the foreseeable, although Matip himself seems to have legs made of custard.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Nov 2020 13:17

Sanguine Reports that Joe Gomez has suffered 'a serious leg injury' in training. He came back from an ACL injury a couple of years ago.

Liverpool's defence down to the bare bones - I guess it will be Fabinho and Matip for the foreseeable, although Matip himself seems to have legs made of custard.

Seems the fates have got it in for Liverpool this time round with nearly their whole first choice defence now injured (though, yet again, they really haven’t helped themselves by not bringing in cover after Lovren left) and idiot VAR decisions against them.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Nov 2020 13:31

As Klopp himself said, he can't have four world-class defenders, they would all want to play. Van Dijk, Gomez, Matip, Williams and Phillips with Fabinho and Henderson also able to play there should be plenty. As it happens of those seven it is only the two younger players who haven't had a spell out injured this season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2020 10:57

I think Grealish on left wing is essential for England going forward, similar to his Villa role alongside Barkley. You then have Kane as the focal point and Sterling providing movement and running in behind.

Henderson & Mount in central midfield, and possibly Rice too if we decide to play 4 at the back.

It means leaving out Rashford and Sancho, but our traditional 433 / 343 is very functional and predictable. Grealish has proven his capable of carrying the ball and creating, and having him in a free role would give us greater control in possession.

The answer is clear; will Southgate be bold in the games that matter? Or will he shoehorn Mount in on the wing for his workrate alongside Henderson, Rice and 3 CBs? (In which case I'll call for his head)

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Nov 2020 20:02

Wtf is Dier doing in the England team? I'd rather have McGuire

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Nov 2020 20:09

LOL

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Nov 2020 20:10

bcubed Wtf is Dier doing in the England team? I'd rather have McGuire

Dier fits our “progressive passing” style really well

Because we seem to score so many goals doing it :roll:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Nov 2020 20:12

WestYorksRoyal I think Grealish on left wing is essential for England going forward, similar to his Villa role alongside Barkley. You then have Kane as the focal point and Sterling providing movement and running in behind.

Henderson & Mount in central midfield, and possibly Rice too if we decide to play 4 at the back.

It means leaving out Rashford and Sancho, but our traditional 433 / 343 is very functional and predictable. Grealish has proven his capable of carrying the ball and creating, and having him in a free role would give us greater control in possession.

The answer is clear; will Southgate be bold in the games that matter? Or will he shoehorn Mount in on the wing for his workrate alongside Henderson, Rice and 3 CBs? (In which case I'll call for his head)

Nope he’ll play 5 at the back alongside two holding midfielders and two other midfielders with no pace in the team

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 15 Nov 2020 20:16

Dier is Dire.
How the oxf*rd does he get a game :twisted:

3567 posts