Hob Nob Legend

Re: January window

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2020 19:38

Sutekh
Hound
URZZZZ That's the idea though

16/17 - he started on fire, got injured, poor second half of the season
17/18 - kept picking up little niggles, had a pretty awful season
Last year - started the season really well, picked up an injury for a few weeks, had a good run over Christmas, but was poor in the second half of the season

Mentioned before, you don't expect players in his position to be particularly consistent, because if he was, he'd be on to better things. My main problem with him though is that his inconsistencies aren't revolved around the odd game and instead longer periods of time
I guess it'll be interesting to see now we have a secure midfield behind him. Hopefully he can concentrate on his game, picking up the ball in pockets of space and driving forward with it, rather than trying to force the issue from deeper, which I don't think is his game primarily

yeah I wouldnt say he'll definitely come back in and be fantastic. But then Olise is not likely to be consistent for the rest of the season either

I'd be very interested to see Swift in a genuinely good team. He was very good in a pretty poor one at times last year, and even under Stam we never dominated the midfield like we have this year. With Rino and Laurent behind him he could be very good

And set pieces should improve as well.

Swift's set pieces are as often awful as good. Olise's are easily in the same league.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Dec 2020 15:39

This made me nearly choke on my coffee. :D

https://twitter.com/RFCLatest/status/13 ... 0449233922

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Dec 2020 19:20

windermereROYAL This made me nearly choke on my coffee. :D

Definition of agent talk, I'm fairly certain that international loans can't be cut shot anyway only domestic ones can.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Dec 2020 19:59

Stranded

Definition of agent talk, I'm fairly certain that international loans can't be cut shot anyway only domestic ones can.

Not sure I’d be too unhappy if we freed up a loan slot.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jan 2021 12:49

Stranded

It’s quite common for international loans to be cut short. Michy Batshuayi (Chelsea->Valencia) and Javier Manquillo (Atletico->Liverpool) come to mind.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jan 2021 13:08

SCIAG
Stranded

It’s quite common for international loans to be cut short. Michy Batshuayi (Chelsea->Valencia) and Javier Manquillo (Atletico->Liverpool) come to mind.

Batshuayi’s loan was cut short in January 2019 when he return from Valencia and was loaned to Crystal Palace. He did make 23 apps for Valencia so wasn’t a case of never getting a game either.

Manquillo’s loan was slightly different in that it was a 2 year loan that was cut short after 1 year (presumably after Liverpool opted not to take up a purchase option).

Presume therefore that Semedo could move on in January.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jan 2021 14:38

Fair enough. Guess down to the terms and if a break clause was in the deal.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Jan 2021 13:00

royalp-we Young and hungry loanees would be good to see. Like others have suggested a wideman or forward would do nicely. Liam Delap (Man City) or Ellis Simms (Everton) two promising players in PL2. We’ll probably look at Benfica / Porto / Sporting knowing our scouts though

I'd hope not. We wouldn't be able to sign any of them under the new WP rules.

Hemenbruff Royal
Location: North Reading. Actually very north Reading. Okay, Yorkshire.

by Hemenbruff Royal » 03 Jan 2021 20:02

Crowbar6753
bcubed
Crowbar6753
Its a football related topic, so i thought i'd use a cheeky "Foul Swoop" in lieu of the more politically correct "Fowl Swoop" :D

I do appreciate the correction thought :lol:

You guys do know it's actually one fell swoop? Or am I due a whoosh here?!

A shocker played by the two of us i guess :oops: , however, i'm sticking with my "Foul' Swoop on the grounds of it being a football related post :D and in my defence, living in Canada for the past 12yrs has watered down my English dialect. :lol:

Agreed. And in my defence, living in Yorkshire for the past 30 years has completely ruined my Berkshire dialect.

KDRF

by KDRF » 04 Jan 2021 09:47

I don't want to lose any of them, but from a purely logistical point of view with regards to playing style and formation, you can't have Swift, Ejaria and Olise in the same team. You need a Meite (or dare I even say an Aluko!?) on the right flank to give us the width and runs off the ball for the creative players to well, create. We can't really play all 3 of them in the same side and as much as all of us would love the luxury of having all 3 of them in the squad to rotate and allow for injuries (especially in Swifts case), with our financial situation right now its tricky.

This is why I think we are seeing the talk of Olise so much, yes he is fantastic, yes he has huge potential and an incredibly high ceiling. But, if we were to lose only 1 of them, he would command the highest fee by far. Ejaria just signed a new contract and has been good this season but not great, Swifts injuries must concern other clubs and the only solid interest in him last year came from Sheffield United which we rebuffed straight away, they wont want to be paying more for someone that has been injured most of this season. I would hate to lose Olise and it would weaken us as a squad definitely and we would lose an incredibly talented player, but I don't think it significantly weakens our first starting 11 due to the fact Swift/Ejaria can deputise, to the point where losing Joao/Richards/Rinomhota/Laurent would do right now. If we can still maintain similar results right now, push for the play off places but also balance the books so we know that if we dont get promoted next year we aren't royally screwed, would it be worth it? Again, I want to reiterate I love Olise and don't want to lose him, I just thought it best to weigh up why its being talked about so much.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2021 10:09

Reading through the list of premier clubs and their reports for the first half of the season in the paper yesterday, did strike me how many were looking for ' a forward who can hold the ball up and score goals'

Be very surprised if a number of clubs weren't looking at Joao - the likes of Fulham, Brighton etc.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Jan 2021 10:17

Hound Reading through the list of premier clubs and their reports for the first half of the season in the paper yesterday, did strike me how many were looking for ' a forward who can hold the ball up and score goals'

Be very surprised if a number of clubs weren't looking at Joao - the likes of Fulham, Brighton etc.

Lots of clubs will be looking at lots of our players.
Can’t see many of them getting their calls returned.....
I can see a logic to cashing in on Olise and making a big dent in PPE but Joao won’t be one we would let go at this stage.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2021 10:20

Nameless
Hound Reading through the list of premier clubs and their reports for the first half of the season in the paper yesterday, did strike me how many were looking for ' a forward who can hold the ball up and score goals'

Lots of clubs will be looking at lots of our players.
Can’t see many of them getting their calls returned.....
I can see a logic to cashing in on Olise and making a big dent in PPE but Joao won’t be one we would let go at this stage.

yeah agreed. We won't let Joao go, was more just a comment on it.

Olise is prob the one we may have to listen to offers for, but reckon we might well keep him back on loan anyway

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 04 Jan 2021 10:21

The fact is IF Olise has a reasonable buy out clause in his contract he will go in the next week or so, clubs will not risk Reading being able to negotiate a new contract with him. He is being played here and if he made a move he would be on the fringes or loaned out.

Swift would be the player I would be most willing to let go, not because I don’t like him but he is likely to miss as many games as he plays, making him an expensive asset.

Joao almost fits into this bracket too with injuries. The club’s scouting network need to be on the ball this month, ready to replace players like for like as our squad is quite stretched. I’m sure clubs will be looking at Richards, Moore, Morrison, Rhino, Laurent, Olise, Meite and Joao. As much as I like the stubbornness of our owners, their stance will only be celebrated if we were able to get promoted.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2021 11:01

not sure anyone will be looking at Morrison tbf. Never know though :)

I'd certainly like us to be looking at Rino and laurents contracts. Both due next summer and I expect they are on relatively low wages relating to their performances this year.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 04 Jan 2021 12:11

Hound not sure anyone will be looking at Morrison tbf. Never know though :)

I'd certainly like us to be looking at Rino and laurents contracts. Both due next summer and I expect they are on relatively low wages relating to their performances this year.

Agree - I like Morrison but he's a solid champ player ... not going to be attracting Prem teams.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Jan 2021 14:56

Suspect there will be paper talk about Holmes and McIntyre too. Young, not long left on their contracts, impressive performances.

So basically the whole squad...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Jan 2021 15:06

SCIAG Suspect there will be paper talk about Holmes and McIntyre too. Young, not long left on their contracts, impressive performances.

So basically the whole squad...

Anyone mentioned Aluko ?
He’s actually looking much more like the sort of player we thought we had originally !

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 04 Jan 2021 15:24

I reckon WBA might come knocking for Joao .

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Jan 2021 15:28

Big Ern

I reckon WBA might come knocking for Joao .

Wolves need a goal scorer and apparantly all their contracts are written in Portuguese..

339 posts