RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: January window

by RoyalBlue » 28 Jan 2021 18:40

From across the pond:

@SoccerInsider
As transfer deadline in England nears, Reading is making a move for New York Red Bulls & US intl center back Aaron Long. It would be a loan with an option to buy. Financial Fair Play regulations are an issue, however. Down to the wire. #usmnt #mls #rbny

The guy tweeting this has 159K followers.

Also: https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/12200835/usa-captain-aaron-long-poised-to-leave-new-york-red-bulls-on-short-term-loan

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jan 2021 19:15

PistolPete I think he's doing well, and really hope he does well. However, and I think I've made this pint before on here, Penalties shouldn't count towards the goalscoring records we judge players by. 4 of his 7 goals were penalties.

Let's celebrate good penalty takers in their own right, but not muddy the goalscorer charts with penalty goals!

Would you exclude open goal tap in as well (therefore wiping the careers of Lineker and Owen from the record books)

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 28 Jan 2021 19:47

Pepe the Horseman
Hendo
Westwood52 Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but Osho has been sent on loan to the Boondocks.Should have tried harder to keep him,far better than Holmes or Estevez.A RB is now a priority signing;I worry Yids has a serious problem and neither Holmes or Estevez fit the bill,while Watson appears to be on his way out.

If he is that good, why can't he get into the Luton side?

Yeh exactly. "Far better" based on two half decent performances at RB, yet couldn't hold down a regular starting spot at Aldershot or Maidenhead, and now being passed around the lower leagues by Luton.

+1

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 28 Jan 2021 19:52

Sutekh
Stranded
morganb Random twitter rumour of the day-

The man from the Mirror says: https://mobile.twitter.com/DarrenOWitco ... 2112562176

Reading leading the Championship chase to sign Fulham winger Neeskens Kebano.

Would be a decent signing for this level.

Presume it would be on loan with a view to a possible permanent move in the summer?

Bit of a concern given Reading’s record of signing 28 year old wingers off of Fulham.

Ah, be nice! Aluko is doing great right now as an occasional starter, sub and placer of the ball in row zed. :)

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Jan 2021 20:19

RoyalBlue From across the pond:

@SoccerInsider
As transfer deadline in England nears, Reading is making a move for New York Red Bulls & US intl center back Aaron Long. It would be a loan with an option to buy. Financial Fair Play regulations are an issue, however. Down to the wire. #usmnt #mls #rbny

Also: https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/12200835/usa-captain-aaron-long-poised-to-leave-new-york-red-bulls-on-short-term-loan

Can he play LB? Surely no point unless Gibson is going back to Everton. Even then it would be questionable, especially as we seem to be so restricted in what signings we can make.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jan 2021 20:25

@SoccerInsider

Interesting one. 28yo and pretty highly rated. Would be a loan to buy deal so would suggest we are looking at a replacement for someone likely leaving in the summer.

Not played since 20th November though so unlikely to make an immediate impact.

Pauno will obviously also know the MLS market pretty well.

Wisconsin Royal

by Wisconsin Royal » 28 Jan 2021 21:12

Aaron Long is first choice CB on a rapidly improving USA XI, with players in PL/Bundesliga/La Liga/Serie A all over it. This would be a great move.

Of course, I do have a rooting interest.

https://sbisoccer.com/2020/11/what-is-the-usmnt-first-choice-xi-right-now

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jan 2021 21:26

Stranded

@SoccerInsider

Interesting one. 28yo and pretty highly rated. Would be a loan to buy deal so would suggest we are looking at a replacement for someone likely leaving in the summer.

Not played since 20th November though so unlikely to make an immediate impact.

Pauno will obviously also know the MLS market pretty well.

Morrison’s contract is up in the summer
This guy appears to be a right sided cb
Would give us MM/AL and LM/TMc which would be a pretty strong set, with Tom Holmes either 5th or getting a decent loan move

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Jan 2021 21:44

Pepe the Horseman

@SoccerInsider

Can he play LB? Surely no point unless Gibson is going back to Everton. Even then it would be questionable, especially as we seem to be so restricted in what signings we can make.

Given his pedigree, he would probably be first choice cover for Moore and Morrison. However, he supposedly is interested in a move because of lack of playing opportunities in the US at present, so would he settle for the bench. Sources look pretty reliable though and, as others have said, VP knows MLS well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jan 2021 21:54

RoyalBlue
Pepe the Horseman

Given his pedigree, he would probably be first choice cover for Moore and Morrison. However, he supposedly is interested in a move because of lack of playing opportunities in the US at present, so would he settle for the bench. Sources look pretty reliable though and, as others have said, VP knows MLS well.

Of course he won't want or expect being on the bench but he hasn't played in 2 months, so will have to bide his time.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 28 Jan 2021 23:32

Nameless
PistolPete I think he's doing well, and really hope he does well. However, and I think I've made this pint before on here, Penalties shouldn't count towards the goalscoring records we judge players by. 4 of his 7 goals were penalties.

Let's celebrate good penalty takers in their own right, but not muddy the goalscorer charts with penalty goals!

Would you exclude open goal tap in as well (therefore wiping the careers of Lineker and Owen from the record books)

Of course not.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Jan 2021 23:51

Aaron Long is an interesting one. A lot of people seem to think he’s better than Miazga and a year ago West Ham were in for him. Not great on the ball but very good defensively. I don’t understand the rationale in going in for him though, all our current centre backs are excellent quality.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Jan 2021 02:48

TiagoIlori Aaron Long is an interesting one. A lot of people seem to think he’s better than Miazga and a year ago West Ham were in for him. Not great on the ball but very good defensively. I don’t understand the rationale in going in for him though, all our current centre backs are excellent quality.

But he’d complete a high quality set of options and cover the out of contract and not getting any younger Morrison. An experienced right sided CB does make sense in many ways, especially of available for free or nominal fee.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2021 08:46

was aware that he was likely to move, didnt guess it was us interested

WOuldn't say no - love Morro but it probably is time to start looking at a longer term replacement

McIntyre has been top class since he came back in though. Moore is still out for quite a while yet. Dont fancy Holmes as CB quite yet

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jan 2021 09:05

Morro has obviously been brilliant for us (probably one of our best signings in recent years), but as other posters have said, he isn't getting any younger and if we do go up, he might not be too well suited to the premier league.

We all though McShane was quality, but his form took a massive nose dive very quickly, same thing could easily happen to Morro.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2021 09:22

Think Morro is worth at least an extra year, and I'm comfortable with the option to transition from him to Holmes, as I'm happy to transition from Moore to McIntyre.

I'd be sad to see Morro not get renewed, or Holmes get pushed back down the order, but this seems a pretty good option.

Also like the idea of him being a bit more limited on the ball. Forces us to get rid or play out quicker and longer more than we otherwise might with two very comfortable players. Been much better at that with the more awkward and less poncy Morrison back there.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jan 2021 09:26

With the development of Holmes and McIntyre this year, I'm really not sure we need another CB. Morrison has earned an extra year in my view, though McShane comparisons could be fair.

I guess the flip side is that, if there is an opportunity to sign a talented player with lots of international experience for a reasonable price, why wouldn't you?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2021 09:43

I'd definitely give Morro another year whatever tbh. Would rather try to get Holmes a full season somewhere in Div1/champ if poss

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 29 Jan 2021 09:51

No brainer if we are going to buy - pointless if its just another loan. Wheres Gibson?

Holmes has played his way into being an option. 4th choice CB and a good option at RB. I would rather have Homes in the team right now than another loan guy who by the time he is up to championship speed, the season will be over.
Long clearly has talent and would be a great addition long term. Moore, Morro, Tmac Holmes and Long would be such a great headache for a manger to have.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Jan 2021 09:56

Do agree with having a Morrison replacement ready, we've seen it before with the likes of Gorkss and McShane where age just seems to hit central defenders like a tonne of bricks.

339 posts