544 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

by Sutekh » 20 Feb 2021 17:35

When : Tuesday 23rd February 2021, 7.45pm
Where : Adams Park, Hillbottom Road, High Wycombe, HP12 4HJ
Capacity : 10,000

Another game away from home in midweek and further chance to better the 4 wins from 41 away midweek league games since April 2014. To do that though Reading will have to win their second away midweek league of the season, which they haven’t managed since season 2012/13, and also win at a team not beginning with “B” for the first time since April 2014.

But it’s bottom of the table Wycombe I hear you say. Well we all know that that does not mean one thing in this league and many times Reading have come a cropper away at teams in the relegation mire. However Reading’s current totally unimpressive form is actually possibly a good thing as there should be no chance of complacency...

Wycombe’s current league form since the turn of the year (8 games) is 1 away win at Huddersfield, a home draw with Birmingham (something Reading haven’t managed for years) and a draw at Millwall so they’re still looking for the first home league win of 2021.

Striker Scott Kashket is the leading scorer so far for the Chairboys with 4 goals, Daryl Horgan is a fairly useful winger who reportedly once attracted interest from Reading and, of course, Wycombe have both Garath McCleary and Jordan Obita in their midst so both of those players will be eager to get one over their previous employer.

Wycombe have doubts over Joe Jacobson and Adebayo Akinfenwa while Reading will be missing Araruna, Meite and Swift.

Referee

Dean Whitestone

Previously

19 Jan 2021 > Reading 3-0 Coventry City
30 Jun 2020 > Reading 0-3 Brentford
11 Jan 2020 > Reading 1-1 Nottm Forest
19 Oct 2019 > Reading 1-0 Preston North End
12 Aug 2018 > Reading 2-0 Birmingham City (League Cup)
05 Apr 2016 > Reading 2-1 Nottm Forest
22 Mar 2014 > Birmingham City 1-2 Reading
23 Aug 2011 > Charlton Athletic 2-1 Reading (League Cup)
22 Feb 2011 > Reading 2-1 Millwall
17 Feb 2010 > Crystal Palace 1-3 Reading
07 Nov 2009 > Reading 1-1 Ipswich Town
26 Aug 2008 > Reading 5-1 Luton Town (League Cup)

Historically

This will be the 5th league game at Wycombe between the two clubs. So far Reading have won twice and lost once (5-3 back in October 1999). It is the third successive time that the league visit to Wycombe has been scheduled as a midweek game and Reading have always scored in the fixture.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. Red button from around 7.40pm
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

by Zip » 20 Feb 2021 17:49

I’d like to see two up front for this one and bring in Puscas and drop Semedo. Also Holmes in for Yids.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Feb 2021 17:52

Zip I’d like to see two up front for this one and bring in Puscas and drop Semedo. Also Holmes in for Yids.

Echo my thoughts slightly although would go with the following:

Rafael

Yiadom
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota
Olise

Baldock
Joao

Southwood Esteves Holmes Gibson Tetek Ejaria Semedo Aluko Puscas

Just don’t feel the 4-2-3-1 is as balanced without Meite and perhaps Swift too

Not sure Puscas can start yet - otherwise he probably would have come on sooner

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Feb 2021 17:56

Don't care who we play, just win.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2021 18:48

Wycombe are shit but hard working and organised based on what we saw at our place.

This should be tough but as near certain 3 points as you get in this league for an away game.

Been very disappointed with Ejaria and Yiadom. But this is the sort of game where Ejaria's skill may shine and we don't need to worry too much about bolstering the defence. So I'd leave them both in. Same with Richards even though he wasn't great. Breaking through will be the main focus, so as many players who can contribute to that as possible.

Cut the bullshit experiment of Rino playing forward. No need for Semedo, give Aluko a start (can't believe I'm saying that).

Tempted to rest Joao and give Puscas minutes.

Cabral
Yiadom, Morrison, McIntyre, Richards
Rinomhota, Laurent
Olise, Ejaria, Aluko
Puscas

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Feb 2021 18:50

Snowflake Royal Wycombe are shit but hard working and organised based on what we saw at our place.

This should be tough but as near certain 3 points as you get in this league for an away game.

Been very disappointed with Ejaria and Yiadom. But this is the sort of game where Ejaria's skill may shine and we don't need to worry too much about bolstering the defence. So I'd leave them both in. Same with Richards even though he wasn't great. Breaking through will be the main focus, so as many players who can contribute to that as possible.

Cut the bullshit experiment of Rino playing forward. No need for Semedo, give Aluko a start (can't believe I'm saying that).

Cabral
Rinomhota, Laurent
Olise, Ejaria, Aluko
Puscas

If we'd won today, I think Joao may have got a break. Now, not a chance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2021 18:55

Stranded
Snowflake Royal Wycombe are shit but hard working and organised based on what we saw at our place.

Cabral
Rinomhota, Laurent
Olise, Ejaria, Aluko
Puscas

Oh, I don't think there's a chance he will. But we're very reliant on him and I'd like to rest him, have a big gun on the bench and give Puscas a chance to get up to speed and threaten Joao's place.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Feb 2021 19:00

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Cabral
Rinomhota, Laurent
Olise, Ejaria, Aluko
Puscas

Oh, I don't think there's a chance he will. But we're very reliant on him and I'd like to rest him, have a big gun on the bench and give Puscas a chance to get up to speed and threaten Joao's place.

Kind of agree with this. I'd also be tempted to rest Morro and bring in Moore

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 20 Feb 2021 19:36

Time for something different, so i would go 5-3-2:

Cabral
Yiadom Holmes Moore McIntyre Richards
Laurent Olise Tetek
Joao Puscas

Lets not kid ourselves, this will be a tough game and Wycombe are desperate for points and will battle to the death. We don't have wingers so lets play with wing backs, and with the three at the back Yiadom and Richards have license to bomb up and down the flanks.
I would give Morrison and Rinhomota a break and revert Holmes back to his natural position and i would like to see this lad Tetek given a chance.
Finally playing this system allows us two up top which should hopefully give us more chances. I 100% believe Pauno will stick with 4-2-3-1 because thats what he does, but i think teams have worked us out and we really need a plan B.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 20 Feb 2021 19:47

Stranded

Cabral
Rinomhota, Laurent
Olise, Ejaria, Aluko
Puscas

This is my fear for João, Ejaria and Olise. They are all exhausted, so we can't get results, so they can't be rested. It's a vicious circle.

I'd rest 2 of those 3 and let them have 20-30 mins max as impact subs if needed. Aluko and Baldock need to do something to justify their wages. Another 85+ for any of them is only damaging our prospects for the rest of the run in

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Feb 2021 20:12

Crowbar6753 Time for something different, so i would go 5-3-2:

Cabral
Yiadom Holmes Moore McIntyre Richards
Laurent Olise Tetek
Joao Puscas

Lets not kid ourselves, this will be a tough game and Wycombe are desperate for points and will battle to the death. We don't have wingers so lets play with wing backs, and with the three at the back Yiadom and Richards have license to bomb up and down the flanks.
I would give Morrison and Rinhomota a break and revert Holmes back to his natural position and i would like to see this lad Tetek given a chance.
Finally playing this system allows us two up top which should hopefully give us more chances. I 100% believe Pauno will stick with 4-2-3-1 because thats what he does, but i think teams have worked us out and we really need a plan B.

Not a bad shout.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2021 21:23

Brain Traysers
Stranded

Cabral
Rinomhota, Laurent
Olise, Ejaria, Aluko
Puscas

This is my fear for João, Ejaria and Olise. They are all exhausted, so we can't get results, so they can't be rested. It's a vicious circle.

I'd rest 2 of those 3 and let them have 20-30 mins max as impact subs if needed. Aluko and Baldock need to do something to justify their wages. Another 85+ for any of them is only damaging our prospects for the rest of the run in

Don't look anything like exhausted to me

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 20 Feb 2021 23:01

Proper gutted not being able to go to this one; would have been an incredible away day and doesn't look like it will be happening next year even if fans are allowed back :cry:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Feb 2021 06:45

URZZZZ
Zip I’d like to see two up front for this one and bring in Puscas and drop Semedo. Also Holmes in for Yids.

Echo my thoughts slightly although would go with the following:

Rafael

Yiadom
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota
Olise

Baldock
Joao

Southwood Esteves Holmes Gibson Tetek Ejaria Semedo Aluko Puscas

Just don’t feel the 4-2-3-1 is as balanced without Meite and perhaps Swift too

Not sure Puscas can start yet - otherwise he probably would have come on sooner

You’ve complained about Semedo not being creative, so you have dropped him for Liam Moore. That doesn’t make sense to me. It allows Richards and Yiadom to play higher, yes, but I don’t see that compensating for the loss of Semedo. Maybe if Araruna was at right back.

Similarly, I can understand feeling like Ejaria hasn’t contributed enough recently, but I don’t think dropping him for Baldock is going to make us more productive.

I don’t really see much choice other than sticking with the same team or bringing in Aluko. There are changes that could be made at the back but they’re not likely to sort out our creativity issue.

Can see the case for resting the big three, but in the short term we’re still more likely to win with them on the pitch. If we rested all three of them then we’d have a front four of Aluko, Semedo, Baldock, and Puscas, which should really be good enough to win games at this level but Baldock is horribly out of form and Puscas is recovering from a serious injury.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Feb 2021 12:15

Cabral
Rinomhota, Laurent
Olise, Ejaria, Aluko
Puscas

Finally accepted Semedo isn’t an attacking midfielder? :P

Well done though Ian I know how hard it must have been for you saying to give Aluko a go. If you need a little lie down or something that’s fine.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Feb 2021 12:42

I think that with 5 teams in form just outside the play off places that this is genuinely a must win game as will be Rotherham on Saturday. Two wins will stabilise our play of place. Anything less and those below us and Bournemouth will smell blood.

I think Holmes has to come back in. I would seriously consider playing Yiadom in front of him with Ejaria and Olise. Much better than Esteves IMO. I think Joao has to play as this will be a tough game and we need to score first.

Also if Richards has signed for Bayern it could account for his sudden drop in form if he is no longer committed to the cause - in which case Gibson should take his place for the rest of the season.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 21 Feb 2021 13:24

andrew1957 I think that with 5 teams in form just outside the play off places that this is genuinely a must win game as will be Rotherham on Saturday. Two wins will stabilise our play of place. Anything less and those below us and Bournemouth will smell blood.

I think Holmes has to come back in. I would seriously consider playing Yiadom in front of him with Ejaria and Olise. Much better than Esteves IMO. I think Joao has to play as this will be a tough game and we need to score first.

Also if Richards has signed for Bayern it could account for his sudden drop in form if he is no longer committed to the cause - in which case Gibson should take his place for the rest of the season.

A far better explanation is that he is simply knackered, we have absolutely no backup for him.

Playing a centre back at fullback will never be a long term option, if they do well in that position it means they are good cover.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2021 14:00

CountryRoyal

Cabral
Rinomhota, Laurent
Olise, Ejaria, Aluko
Puscas

Finally accepted Semedo isn’t an attacking midfielder? :P

Well done though Ian I know how hard it must have been for you saying to give Aluko a go. If you need a little lie down or something that’s fine.

He's done a reasonable job there, and is more an all purpose midfielder than a defensive or attacking one one.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 21 Feb 2021 15:06

You do wonder if a loss mid week,will lead to a bad run of results;at least until Meite and Swifty are back.I think it’s time for a reset,and playing Puskas up front with Jao.Playing three CDM s is overkill;particularly as Ejaria and Olise are looking less and less,like match winners on the wings.However in the absence of Swift,we have to keep playing them,perhaps more centrally ,with the full backs told to keep back unless there is loads of space in front of them ?
I am grasping at straws here,as we do not seem to have a plan B.The opposition know that Jao ,Olise and Ejaria on a given day can be match winners,given space and time.Somehow we have to utilise the space for the spare man,when the high press and denial of space is applied against those three.To me Puskas and then Baldock is the answer,running into space behind.However Pauno needs to shoot a rocket up Ejaria s rear end and tell him to stop overplaying and look more often than not for the first time ball.Basically in his third season with us,I don’t think he has improved one iota.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Feb 2021 16:11

This is a real potential banana skin and VP and his coaches have to do everything to ensure the squad are mentally strong and ready for a real battle. Ainsworth's team will always fight to the death and I am absolutely sure he and his players will have spotted that our team don't like it when other teams really get in their faces.

We have to start really strong and go for their jugular from the very first whistle, as we did in the first halves against Brentford and Bristol City.

544 posts