MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

544 posts
alfie9

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

by alfie9 » 23 Feb 2021 21:50

The Chinese must be getting real sick of this shyte. They probably convinced themselves that we were finally no longer a banter club... even I was convinced for a moment

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2021 21:51

I haven’t felt so annoyed with the manager and team for so long. Once again the opposition wanted it more than us. Not good enough.
More of the same on Saturday I suspect.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Feb 2021 21:51

I said it after the Brentford game, but the Jan window has absolutely killed us.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Feb 2021 21:51

Pepe the Horseman No one to blame but the manager for that. Four centrebacks and three defensive midfielders against the worst team in the league. No subs until the game had fizzled out. And the subs he did make were a fcuking shambles.

Have to agree.......just mystifying.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 23 Feb 2021 21:53

On the positive side, I thought the Wycombe commentary was a bit local but quite balanced, usually right and fairly entertaining.

So...that’s something...

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 23 Feb 2021 21:53

windermereROYAL
Simmops Joao OUT
Poorno OUT

Blocked, cya.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out

Buh bye felicia

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 23 Feb 2021 21:54

Zip The desperate lack of a natural winger is plain to see.

Yep, need pace on the wings, so one dimensional and lacking goal threat.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2021 21:54

One oxf*rd point from three games against ten men in three of the worst teams in the division
Last edited by Zip on 23 Feb 2021 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 23 Feb 2021 21:54

Pepe the Horseman No one to blame but the manager for that. Four centrebacks and three defensive midfielders against the worst team in the league. No subs until the game had fizzled out. And the subs he did make were a fcuking shambles.

Yep

Even the penalty, everyone knows joao is crap, so why is he still taking them?

Rax

by Rax » 23 Feb 2021 21:54

karbota
Hound
Rax Have to say ref was appalling - but we really need to sort out another pen taker - also worrying that Puskas and Baldock made no impact at all - it's all a bit like Stam's second season - there doesn't seem to be a Plan B.

It’s no excuse but that refereeing performance was beyond a joke. Utterly clueless. Again how he came to 5 mins injury time is special

Not that’d it mattered if he gave us 20

Thought the ref was very fair.

Nice fishin' son!!

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 23 Feb 2021 21:56

CountryRoyal
Brain Traysers
CountryRoyal
Not justified? We’ve just put in one of the most inept, blunt, incompetent displays against one of the worst teams the championship has seen for a while and we are supposed to be challenging for promotion.

We are in a playoff battle after years of being shite. Upsets happen - we were more dangerous in the first half than we have been in recent games. Whatever happens this will be our best finish since 16/17, and likely 2nd best since we got relegated so I'm struggling to be too angry,

We are crap at breaking down defensive teams, especially with this exhausted lot and nobody on the bench to change it - no 2nd half goals in 7 now? Once 1-0 down I didn't expect anything other than a loss.

We look good against teams that have a go - Brentford and Bournemouth being our two best recent performances.

I don’t think you can always fall back upon perspective as justification for a lack of emotion at a particular event in present.

Fair play if watching that tonight doesn’t anger you, I wish I had your calm outlook BT!

TBF I was in a meeting for the entire second half watching on a screen, so was somewhat detached.

Was pretty annoyed after Millwall, but in general the weather is picking up, the days are getting longer and lockdown is getting closer to ending so non-football life is pretty chill. Namaste

clauski

by clauski » 23 Feb 2021 21:57

Terrible performance against a poor Wycombe side tonight. Clear from the off the players weren't up for this one, yet unclear why. And Joao for all his strengths and high points this season again absolutely heads down and sulking after missing the penalty, much like vs Preston. Some work ahead to get back on track and secure a play off spot - a long way to go yet so let’s stay hopeful.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 23 Feb 2021 21:57

Simmops
windermereROYAL
Simmops Joao OUT
Poorno OUT

Blocked, cya.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out

Buh bye felicia

Well, it’s a bit of a silly overreaction isn’t it.

Rax

by Rax » 23 Feb 2021 21:59

clauski Terrible performance against a poor Wycombe side tonight. Clear from the off the players weren't up for this one, yet unclear why. And Joao for all his strengths and high points this season again absolutely heads down and sulking after missing the penalty, much like vs Preston. Some work ahead to get back on track and secure a play off spot - a long way to go yet so let’s stay hopeful.

This - although I would find another penalty taker - was just hoping Joao would just leather it down the middle!

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 23 Feb 2021 21:59

Brain Traysers This game has been the absolute case for resting Joao/Olise/Ejaria, who I still believe must be exhausted and at risk of injury.

With them on the bench we literally couldn't have done worse, and would actually have the option to influence the game with subs.

STOP SAYING THEY ARE EXHAUSTED. THE WORD YOU ARE LOOKING FOR RHYMES WITH "HIT".....JUST ADD AN 'S'.

Felt91

by Felt91 » 23 Feb 2021 22:00

We just don’t seem to draw games. We win or lose. Tonight rubbish performance would of had a silver lining with a point. Same v millwall. Need to show a bit of spirit. We struggle against teams who are up for it and play direct and fight. Surly with O’Shea and fortune on the bench with experience of the English game pauno needs to be told you need to get the subs on earlier. Even if there not up to standard it just shows intent.

Last year squad to big. 3 left backs. This year small squad with one LB.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 23 Feb 2021 22:00

FWIW fans always massively overreact to losses against bottom of the table. Its like the implicit assumption is bottom of the table means they will lose comfortably every game, whereas in reality they only lose around half the time, so for the other half they picked up results, deservedly or not.

The life of a football fan, eh

Felt91

by Felt91 » 23 Feb 2021 22:03

Also how they never got more bookings for time wasting is beyond me. Stockdale walked to reading to get the ball each time.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 23 Feb 2021 22:04

Barney
Brain Traysers This game has been the absolute case for resting Joao/Olise/Ejaria, who I still believe must be exhausted and at risk of injury.

With them on the bench we literally couldn't have done worse, and would actually have the option to influence the game with subs.

STOP SAYING THEY ARE EXHAUSTED. THE WORD YOU ARE LOOKING FOR RHYMES WITH "HIT".....JUST ADD AN 'S'.

Either sh!t players took us to a first half of the season where we threatened to challenge for autos, or something else is currently happening. I think there is some good reasoning that an unprecedentedly condensed fixture list, injuries to key players, lack of rotation (particularly to key/attacking players), late and unused subs all add up to an an exhausted squad. Joao, Olise and Ejaria have all dropped off as they have all accumulated a lot of minutes with no rest

Its a hypothesis that is more easily supported than they just don't fancy it any more/have got lazy

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Feb 2021 22:05

Greatwesternline Im trying to understand Joao on pens.

There are only 3 attacking players in the side, Joao, Olise, Ejaria, i can well imagine that actually neither Olise or Ejaria are much better at pens.

That's my only thinking as to how there hasnt been a change before now.

I can't understand it. Joao is positively HORRIFIC at penalties. 2 (now 3) misses and a very lucky scuffed goal that should have been saved. And before that I believe was never on penalties so not even an experienced taker.

I guarantee almost anyone on HNA would have done better than Joao did over 4 pens.

So yes Olise and Ejaria may not be great but they'd have to be proven to be positively awful to not be put on ahead of Joao. Noone is that bad. If Olise and Ejaria are actually that bad then get Rafael taking them FFS.

Penalties depend hugely on mentality, and good a player as Joao is in normal play, when the pressure's on him he cracks. A very emotional player who just can't cope with crucial kicks where he has time to contemplate. ESPECIALLY when he's already been so poor.

100% Pauno's fault, gutless.

544 posts