335 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Rotherham united (a)

by Sutekh » 23 Feb 2021 21:53

When : Saturday 27th February 2021, 3pm
Where : New York Stadium, New York Way, Rotherham, S60 1AH
Capacity : 12,021

Reading take their rancid form all the way up to Rotherham for the second half of the must win doubleheader which they’ve completely failed to deliver on already. Not sure where the problem lies but certainly the team is not helped by the failure to strengthen in January and the quite bizarre recent apparent tinkering by the manager with line ups and tactics not to mention some ridiculously late substitutions.

Reading’s fetid form is almost the worst in the division over the last 6 games (think only Bristol City are worse) with only 4 points from 18, even Rotherham have managed 2 wins in their last 6 and though they’ve lost their last 4 they were against Bournemouth, Cardiff, Norwich and a rapidly improving Forest. The Millers have also gone three games without scoring but I’m sure Reading won’t let that bother them.

Michael Smith and Freddie Ladapo are the Millers’ leading scorers with 12 goals between them but Matt Crooks is the current one to watch having been Championship player of the month for January. And Angus MacDonald gives them their Reading connection.

Jamie Lindsay and Chiedozie Ogbene miss out for the Millers while Reading might have Felipe Araruna back in bench duty. Swift and Meite remain crocked and perhaps Gibson too?

Referee

Previously

27 Oct 2020 > Blackburn Rovers 2-4 Reading
22 Jul 2020 > Reading 1-4 Swansea City
07 July 2020 > Reading 0-0 Huddersfield Town
05 October 2019 > Bristol City 1-0 Reading
13 April 2019 > Reading 2-1 Brentford
13 Feb 2019 > Reading 2-1 Blackburn Rovers
22 Dec 2018 > Reading 0-1 Middlesbrough
14 Apr 2018 > Reading 2-2 Sunderland
27 Feb 2018 > Nottm Forest 1-1 Reading
11 Dec 2017 > Reading 2-2 Cardiff City
23 Sep 2017 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
26 Aug 2017 > Birmingham City 0-2 Reading
24 Jan 2017 > Reading 1-0 Fulham
15 Oct 2016 > Queen's Park Rangers 1-1 Reading
15 Mar 2016 > Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 Reading
23 Jan 2016 > Reading 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday
19 Sep 2015 > Bristol City 0-2 Reading
25 Mar 2014 > Reading 1-3 Barnsley

Historically

This will be the 24th league game with Rotherham in Rotherham. Of those games Reading have won 5 and lost 9 with 9 drawn. There has only been 1 goalless draw to date so expectation is there should be some form of net rippling happening on Saturday afternoon.

Since Rotherham moved a little bit down the road from Millmoor to their nice new shiny plastic arena Reading have won 1, drawn 2 and lost 1 but always managed to score. Think that particular record might be a bit of a challenge to maintain given the pathetic showing at Wycombe last time out.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
Last edited by Sutekh on 23 Feb 2021 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Rotherham united (a)

by genome » 23 Feb 2021 21:54

too soon sutekh, too soon

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Feb 2021 21:57

Let's try 5 CBs. Hope Gibson is fit. Then maybe 3 DMs in front of that and no point in bringing a bench. Won't need it.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Feb 2021 21:59

Mate, can't even think about this. Rotherham have played some decent stuff.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2021 22:06

Giving this a swerve. It just puts me in a bad mood.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Feb 2021 22:13

Zip Giving this a swerve. It just puts me in a bad mood.

The only reason I’m tempted to watch this is because it’s my last day of work and I was planning on massively work avoiding.

Anyway. Unless something drastic switches in our manager’s head then suspect this will be a bit of a struggle.

Confidence will now really start to drop too.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Feb 2021 22:14

Not interested, it`s been a while since I`ve been this low after a result.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Feb 2021 22:15

NewCorkSeth Let's try 5 CBs. Hope Gibson is fit. Then maybe 3 DMs in front of that and no point in bringing a bench. Won't need it.

Facts.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Feb 2021 23:04

Think I'll give this one a miss.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Feb 2021 23:07

NewCorkSeth Let's try 5 CBs. Hope Gibson is fit. Then maybe 3 DMs in front of that and no point in bringing a bench. Won't need it.

And must keep Laurent and Rino apart.

And insist Joao takes any pens.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2021 23:24

The RFC manager dementia seems to have well and truly set in.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Feb 2021 00:40

Rotherham played a 3-5-2 tonight so would look to match them. Advocated this formation as a temporary measure before Wycombe as I don’t feel the 4-2-3-1 is currently serving us well, and support it even more so after tonight’s result. Would be tempted to start Joao from the bench for this one but Paunovic clearly doesn’t trust Baldock

Rafael

Yiadom
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota
Ejaria

Joao
Puscas

Southwood Esteves Holmes Gibson Tetek Semedo Aluko Olise Baldock

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 24 Feb 2021 00:42

Whatever the team I'm sure the good samaritans of Reading FC will do their best to give the strugglers the confidence boost they need.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2021 09:39

If Pauno plays Rinomhota as a forward again, he can oxf*rd off.

I don't mind a losing run or poor performances. It happens, it's been a good season. I do mind the manager making oxf*rd ludicrous decisions that cost us what should be comfortable points.

Swift and Meite being out is no excuse. Stop oxf*rd about and pick the best TEAM with players in the right position. And if you've got a hard choice in one position oxf*rd make it. Don't crowbar in both options and disrupt the rest of the side in doing so.

Useless.

Augem

by Augem » 24 Feb 2021 09:44

URZZZZ Rotherham played a 3-5-2 tonight so would look to match them. Advocated this formation as a temporary measure before Wycombe as I don’t feel the 4-2-3-1 is currently serving us well, and support it even more so after tonight’s result. Would be tempted to start Joao from the bench for this one but Paunovic clearly doesn’t trust Baldock

Rafael

Yiadom
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Laurent
Rinomhota
Ejaria

Joao
Puscas

Southwood Esteves Holmes Gibson Tetek Semedo Aluko Olise Baldock

What a team on paper

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Feb 2021 10:04

Snowflake Royal The RFC manager dementia seems to have well and truly set in.

Haha, yeh. And game dementia. Every season we have at least one performance that's the worst anyone has seen for 60 years.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Feb 2021 10:14

Snowflake Royal If Pauno plays Rinomhota as a forward again, he can oxf*rd off.

I don't mind a losing run or poor performances. It happens, it's been a good season. I do mind the manager making oxf*rd ludicrous decisions that cost us what should be comfortable points.

Swift and Meite being out is no excuse. Stop oxf*rd about and pick the best TEAM with players in the right position. And if you've got a hard choice in one position oxf*rd make it. Don't crowbar in both options and disrupt the rest of the side in doing so.

Useless.

Seems like what you are saying is:
Rafael
Yiadom/Holmes
Morro
McIntyre
Richards
Rinomhota
Laurent
Aluko
Olise
Ejaria
Joao

?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2021 10:18

He's given himself a problem with playing Moore again last night. McIntyre is no more than a fill in LB, not as good as Gibson there and certainly not up to Richards on any kind of form.

Holmes seems to have no confidence to try to overlap or cross on the other side for all his other attributes. But I could live with him being picked again.

likewise can't put myself through watching this one, first one I'm not going to tune into for a while. The last two have just put me in too bad a mood.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Feb 2021 10:21

NewCorkSeth

Useless.

Seems like what you are saying is:
Rafael
Yiadom/Holmes
Morro
McIntyre
Richards
Rinomhota
Laurent
Aluko
Olise
Ejaria
Joao

?

McIntyre/Moore

But otherwise yes. Though as it stands I’d also give Joao a rest he’s really gone of the boil and needs a kick up the arse.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Feb 2021 10:24

Useless.

This. I was lost for words regarding playing Rino in such a ludicrous position. Having said that if Rino scores from that chance and Joao converts the pen after a Rino won it then Pauno can say it worked. Why piss around with a combination that’s working though?

The biggest issue for me was the lack of subs and insisting upon continuing such a defensive formation for virtually the entire second half against the worst team in the league. To continue to do so when they were down to ten was beyond belief. I was snarling at this point. Then when your chasing a goal why not take off your only creative outlets. Just beggared belief.

335 posts