MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

544 posts
Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

by Orion1871 » 23 Feb 2021 22:06

Millsy 3) Rino/Laurent - ain't broke so... disrupt that, obviously.

Imagine if Coppell said to Sidwell back in the day, "you're not playing in midfield with Harps today, I'm putting you on the right wing instead"?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 23 Feb 2021 22:09

Rax
clauski Terrible performance against a poor Wycombe side tonight. Clear from the off the players weren't up for this one, yet unclear why. And Joao for all his strengths and high points this season again absolutely heads down and sulking after missing the penalty, much like vs Preston. Some work ahead to get back on track and secure a play off spot - a long way to go yet so let’s stay hopeful.

This - although I would find another penalty taker - was just hoping Joao would just leather it down the middle!

He did. Complete embarrassment that. People complaining about Olise being taken off, we’re you watching the game. He wasted countless free kicks and corners. Aluko tried one, kicked it into the wall. I can’t remember the last shot free kick we had that wasn’t passed straight into the wall. McIntyre should not play at left back. His distribution from there was poor. Semedo offers so little. Badly need some pace or width to stretch defences in games like that. Joao’s attitude so poor. Wheels are off.

Rax

by Rax » 23 Feb 2021 22:11

Norfolk Royal
Rax
clauski Terrible performance against a poor Wycombe side tonight. Clear from the off the players weren't up for this one, yet unclear why. And Joao for all his strengths and high points this season again absolutely heads down and sulking after missing the penalty, much like vs Preston. Some work ahead to get back on track and secure a play off spot - a long way to go yet so let’s stay hopeful.

This - although I would find another penalty taker - was just hoping Joao would just leather it down the middle!

He did. Complete embarrassment that. People complaining about Olise being taken off, we’re you watching the game. He wasted countless free kicks and corners. Aluko tried one, kicked it into the wall. I can’t remember the last shit free kick we had that wasn’t passed straight into the wall. McIntyre should not play at left back. His distribution from there was poor. Semedo offers so little. Badly need some pace or width to stretch defences in games like that. Joao’s attitude so poor. Wheels are off.

To be fair - when I said leather it down the middle - was thinking more Gary Lineker v Cameroon rather than Chris Waddle v Germany circa 1990!!

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 23 Feb 2021 22:13

Lower West
Brain Traysers
CountryRoyal
Not justified? We’ve just put in one of the most inept, blunt, incompetent displays against one of the worst teams the championship has seen for a while and we are supposed to be challenging for promotion.

We are in a playoff battle after years of being shite.

Not seeing any battle. Just a slow progressive slide backwards. The formation has been well and truly been sussed. Like Stam like Gomes , Pauno doesn't have the tactical nous at this level.

+1. We just don't seem to be able to break-down defenses. Something has to change or we'll continue the slide. Was saying after the xfer window shut that I was pretty content but that was with players coming-back after injury. We don't appear to have the depth to change the momentum mid-game.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Feb 2021 22:14

Felt91 Also how they never got more bookings for time wasting is beyond me. Stockdale walked to reading to get the ball each time.

Serves our players right for kicking it to Reading each time they got a chance to shoot.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2021 22:14

Norfolk Royal
Rax

He did. Complete embarrassment that. People complaining about Olise being taken off, we’re you watching the game. He wasted countless free kicks and corners. Aluko tried one, kicked it into the wall. I can’t remember the last shot free kick we had that wasn’t passed straight into the wall. McIntyre should not play at left back. His distribution from there was poor. Semedo offers so little. Badly need some pace or width to stretch defences in games like that. Joao’s attitude so poor. Wheels are off.

Semedo offers very little. Ejaria was the only one who played well tonight. He did enough to win us the game with the wonderful passes to Rino in both halves.
Yet he was taken off for bloody Baldock.
We are clueless when we fall behind.No ability to score goals. Against ten men you need width to stretch the opposition but you couldn’t tell we had the extra man in the final stages at all.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Feb 2021 22:16

No one seems to want it do they? Us, Bournemouth, Boro...all in a competition to cock it up!

Always seems to be the case that at this stage of the season you get really inconsistent results from the teams near the top, and I have no idea why. Is there an element of the other teams working them out? Is there an element of complacency in the players of those clubs, and a lack of fight?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Feb 2021 22:17

How Richards and Yiadom/Esteves never came on is beyond me, I will be beyond ecstatic to see the back of Baldock in the Summer.

We need to pick up because right now we are crashing out of the play-offs in the same manner of Forest last season and if we manage to limp to the end of the season in the top 6, we won't be winning the play-offs the way we are playing right now.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2021 22:17

Notts Royal No one seems to want it do they? Us, Bournemouth, Boro...all in a competition to cock it up!

Always seems to be the case that at this stage of the season you get really inconsistent results from the teams near the top, and I have no idea why. Is there an element of the other teams working them out? Is there an element of complacency in the players of those clubs, and a lack of fight?

Cardiff and Barnsley certainly want it right now.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Feb 2021 22:17

Wycombe home to Norwich on Sunday, you watch how a good team will dismantle them.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 23 Feb 2021 22:18

Couple of things:

Joao can be the penalty taker - but not like that. Watch Ribery or someone. That technique is ridiculous.

Play full backs at full back. (That we didn't get a back up for Richards/let Obita go was ridiculous)

When you're chasing the game against a narrow low block, don't take off your difference makers no matter how bad you're doing, Ejaria and Olise were the most likely to make something happen

Rafael is the Reading keeper, not still the Napoli keeper, for reasons such as this. He's great, but not top class.

I still can't make my mind up on Semedo

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 23 Feb 2021 22:19

Felt91 Also how they never got more bookings for time wasting is beyond me. Stockdale walked to reading to get the ball each time.

What happened to the six second rule for goalies?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 23 Feb 2021 22:19

We have actually played worse than tonight;however we were up against the worst team in the league.We just didn’t have the wit or skill to take them down:either on the pitch or off it with the coaching staff.Playing two CB s at FB and three CDM s was sheer madness against bottom of the table.Then to bring on the cavalry with less than ten minutes remaining,when we had just completely run out of ideas beggared belief.

Rafa No replays but looked like another horlicks.He just isn’t reliable.

Holmes Didn’t do anything wrong,but he just poses no threat and FB.At least Yids gets forward with intent.
Mc Intyre Had a mare.
Moore Off the pace and bullied by their CF.
Morrison In these sort of games where we have lots of the ball,his inability to pick a pass and execute,begins to look all too apparent.
Laurent His lack of mobility and creativity very evident.Should really have scored 2nd half.
Semedo Whisper it,actually our best player;but that’s not saying much.
Olise Got butchered by them.But was in the game throughout.Unfortunately all his corners,free kicks and crosses were of a pub standard.
Rino Sonic the hedgehog,with very little skill or flair.
Jao How this guy has the nerve to moan about the his team mates limitations.He has cost us again.Apart from the penalty miss,he also screwed up two other good chances.
Ejaria TBF he did play a more effective game than usual.

Puscas Brought on at least fifteen minutes to late.
Aluko Did Ok.At least he showed some intent.
Baldock Please go.I would have preferred Estevez coming on,and that’s saying something.

The ref was a piece of work.But we have had worse.

Until Swifty and Meite are back,we had just have to get use to games like these,when we simply do not have the ability to pull very limited teams apart.

clauski

by clauski » 23 Feb 2021 22:20

Brain Traysers FWIW fans always massively overreact to losses against bottom of the table. Its like the implicit assumption is bottom of the table means they will lose comfortably every game, whereas in reality they only lose around half the time, so for the other half they picked up results, deservedly or not.

Not so much the fact Wycombe are bottom that's causing the reaction, more the poor performance from us. I think Wycombe haven't looked that bad in some games this season and been unlucky not to pick up more points, but tonight they were very ordinary. Sadly we were worse.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 23 Feb 2021 22:20

How long before the "we're sorry, we know we have to do better" interview and tweet Moore does every season?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 23 Feb 2021 22:21

Zip
Norfolk Royal
Rax

Semedo offers very little. Ejaria was the only one who played well tonight. He did enough to win us the game with the wonderful passes to Rino in both halves.
Yet he was taken off for bloody Baldock.
We are clueless when we fall behind.No ability to score goals. Against ten men you need width to stretch the opposition but you couldn’t tell we had the extra man in the final stages at all.

Yes. Ejaria did well, our best player on the night. Pleased for him.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Feb 2021 22:22

Zip
Westwood52 Difficult to give anyone more than a four.Including Velcro.

Ejaria was terrific. T

I must have missed that or perhaps he looked terrific compared to the rest of them. OK I've now been reminded of some of the good things he did tonight. I guess I'm just disappointed that he no longer seems able to run rings around defenders, make his way into the box, beat a couple more players and get a good shot or pass in at the end of it! Too often now when he tries that he ends up giving the ball away.

Someone mentioned that Joao went into a sulk after the penalty miss. He was in a sulk from about ten minutes in. Should've been told that at half-time and also told that for that reason he was off penalties if we were awarded one.

After a previous penalty miss VP said it was because he had the wrong mental attitude leading up to the penalty so why the hell did he allow exactly the same thing to happen again?!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2021 22:31

RoyalBlue
Zip

Ejaria was terrific. T

I must have missed that or perhaps he looked terrific compared to the rest of them.

Someone mentioned that Joao went into a sulk after the penalty miss. He was in a sulk from about ten minutes in. Should've been told that at half-time and also told that for that reason he was off penalties if we were awarded one.

After a previous penalty miss VP said it was because he had the wrong mental attitude leading up to the penalty so why the hell did he allow exactly the same thing to happen again?!

I don’t ever want to see him take a pen for us again. He looks a different player at the moment, He has become ineffective and the missed pens are killing our season.
Ejaria had a good effort on goal which forced Stockdale into a good save. His two passes to Rino should have resulted in two goals along with the sending off.
Olise was poor but I would have kept him on over bringing on Baldock.

We look predictable and the mentality when we fall behind is dreadful. That has to change. They are professional players and need to show a lot more desire when things get tough.
Let’s also be honest if Joao is off form which he has been for a number of weeks we struggle. Without Meite and Swift there are very few goals in this squad.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Feb 2021 22:32

RoyalBlue
Zip

Ejaria was terrific. T

I must have missed that or perhaps he looked terrific compared to the rest of them.

Joao - a riddle, wrapped in a mystery inside the body of a massive sulky baby. Don't get wrong I'm loving the goals but I'm struggling with the petulant 14 year old girl routine.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Feb 2021 22:34

So the pen misses now of cost us 5 points at least.

544 posts