MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

544 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2021 09:44

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
John Madejski's Wallet How the hell has Semedo become the player we must unbalance the team to accommodate?

I actually think he's half decent, but he's not good enough to warrant spazzing around with the team

It's mind boggling that Pauno has decided to move him back into defensive midfield and push Rino forward.

Rino's tracking, tackling, fouling and driving runs are huge for the team. He's the midfielder who has the least goals, least assists, least shots per game, least key passes per game. And inexplicably he's been pushed up.

It's not worked once and Pauno persists in three games now. Madness.

It's so unquestionably the wrong thing to do as well. We genuinely looked a more balanced team with Semedo further forward.

I cant think of any reasons that satisfy the need for it.

Three possibilities I can see.

1) Pauno is genuinely an utter incompetent
2) Pauno is trying to decide if he wants to buy Semedo as a defensive midfielder and so wants to see him actually play there
3) Pauno has been affected by the fan criticism that Semedo is a DM not an AM.

1 seems unlikely given how well we've done so far.

2 doesn't explain why Rino is displaced instead of Laurent who is more suited to attacking

3 might as well be 1 with the same issue as 2

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Feb 2021 09:45

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
John Madejski's Wallet How the hell has Semedo become the player we must unbalance the team to accommodate?

I actually think he's half decent, but he's not good enough to warrant spazzing around with the team

It's mind boggling that Pauno has decided to move him back into defensive midfield and push Rino forward.

Rino's tracking, tackling, fouling and driving runs are huge for the team. He's the midfielder who has the least goals, least assists, least shots per game, least key passes per game. And inexplicably he's been pushed up.

It's so unquestionably the wrong thing to do as well. We genuinely looked a more balanced team with Semedo further forward.

To be fair, Rino actually made a good few inverted runs from playing RW, the one on one in the first half and winning the penalty in the second half

It’s certainly not a decision I’d ever make as IMO we missed his presence in midfield with Semedo flattering to deceive and Laurent having a poor game but it did seem to bring out the best in Ejaria, having a willing runner in front of him (like what Meite does) rather than Olise/Aluko/Esteves who are a lot more static when they play on the flank. Certainly Ejaria’s best game in a while

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2021 09:46

Rino is a willing runner, but at times he can't finish his dinner. He's the least likely midfielder to create or score a chance.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Feb 2021 09:48

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

To be fair, Rino actually made a good few inverted runs from playing RW, the one on one in the first half and winning the penalty in the second half

It’s certainly not a decision I’d ever make as IMO we missed his presence in midfield with Semedo flattering to deceive and Laurent having a poor game but it did seem to bring out the best in Ejaria, having a willing runner in front of him (like what Meite does) rather than Olise/Aluko/Esteves who are a lot more static when they play on the flank. Certainly Ejaria’s best game in a while

Tend to agree with that, on another day Rino could've had 2 goals last night, but also agree that he really should be played in the middle above all others.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Feb 2021 09:48

Snowflake Royal

Totally agree.

In defence of Pauno though, Semedo had some moments of brilliance further back last night, one in particular where he chased down 3 WW players, eventually won the ball and drove forward with it. He's no fool in that position. AND Rino is known for his burst of acceleration into the box, has won us penalties before, had some good runs in this time and won us this pen as well. Our most fouled player (for whatever reason) and twice now those fouls have been in the box and given us penalties.

So it's not totally retarded perhaps, except.... it actually is, because Rino/Laurent had a partnership and were doing VERY WELL. It was absolutely not broken and didn't need to be fixed. Break that critical partnership (or even the box of four including the CBs) and you destabilise the fulcrum of the team.

So yeah, I'm really annoyed by this.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Feb 2021 09:50

Oh yeah, not disagreeing, only scored a couple for us IIRC

Was more highlighting the point how much Ejaria’s game relies on players to run in behind which has perhaps been missed in recent weeks playing Olise on the right

You know it took me a while to warm to Meite but in terms of his improvement and what he offers now, I think I’d have him in the top 3 as one of our most important players, perhaps behind the steady midfield of Laurent and Rinomhota and perhaps Joao

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Feb 2021 09:50

Just got up and I`m still bloody fuming as much as when I went to bed. if the sodding chasing teams needed any motivation you can expect the charity otherwise known as Reading fc would hand it to them on a silver tray.
Of course predictably on social media some fukking idiots want Pauno out, I would expect the majority of posters on here (except one) are more measured with the responses. we would have taken 5th place with 14 games to go after the last 4 years struggling all day long.
However, he cant escape crititism for that shambles, Rino and Larent holding were the bedrock of our success earlier in the season so he pushes one of them forward. drops our attacking wing backs. and continues with Joao on pens, nobody can tell me it hasn`t been discussed how poor his last 3 pens were but he still had the job. as it`s already been said theres no excuse whatever for a pro footballer to miss the target in 2 out of 3 pens.
I like the boss, his team bonding and huddles show he has the dressing room for me, but he needs to get his sodding finger out and sort out how you chase games when going behind, and thats not make attacking changes with 10 minutes to go like Saturday and last night, in hindsight if our best pen taker had been on 15 minutes earlier we wouldn`t be talking about a depressing defeat this morning.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 24 Feb 2021 10:44, edited 4 times in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Feb 2021 09:52

Snowflake Royal Rino is a willing runner, but at times he can't finish his dinner. He's the least likely midfielder to create or score a chance.

The one on one in the first half showed this - great run, lovely pass but had zero confidence he would finish and to be honest, it looked like he didn't either.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 24 Feb 2021 09:53

PistolPete
Millsy
PistolPete Couple of things:

Joao can be the penalty taker - but not like that. Watch Ribery or someone. That technique is ridiculous.

The technique isn't the issue. I don't think any of us here can teach a top championship professional striker about penalty technique.

The issue is simply his mind.

Far too emotional to be taking penalties. We could see that in his first miss, and his second miss, and his third scuffed shot/lucky goal, and his many other sulks when things don't go his way... he doesn't have the mental strength for pens. You can't teach someone that.

I was gobsmacked when I saw him step up for the last one, and even more so now. No idea what Pauno is thinking keeping him on as the number one man for pens.

He misses not because he's emotional - he's pretty cold blooded when it comes to finishing. It's the hop skip pause technique in this last one, and the incredibly close standing foot verses Preston that makes the whole thing harder. He's clearly working on it, I'd say though that he needs to keep it simple!

I also thought the ref was a prat during the penalty thing. He let Stockdale wander off the pitch and have a lie down, delaying the pen, then basically stood about a foot away from Joao blocking any attempt he might make to wander around a bit and compose himself. The ref might as well have been a Wycombe player disrupting during that whole period.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Feb 2021 09:57

Norfolk Royal
PistolPete
Millsy
The technique isn't the issue. I don't think any of us here can teach a top championship professional striker about penalty technique.

The issue is simply his mind.

Far too emotional to be taking penalties. We could see that in his first miss, and his second miss, and his third scuffed shot/lucky goal, and his many other sulks when things don't go his way... he doesn't have the mental strength for pens. You can't teach someone that.

I was gobsmacked when I saw him step up for the last one, and even more so now. No idea what Pauno is thinking keeping him on as the number one man for pens.

He misses not because he's emotional - he's pretty cold blooded when it comes to finishing. It's the hop skip pause technique in this last one, and the incredibly close standing foot verses Preston that makes the whole thing harder. He's clearly working on it, I'd say though that he needs to keep it simple!

I also thought the ref was a prat during the penalty thing. He let Stockdale wander off the pitch and have a lie down, delaying the pen, then basically stood about a foot away from Joao blocking any attempt he might make to wander around a bit and compose himself. The ref might as well have been a Wycombe player disrupting during that whole period.

I`m staggered how he only added 5 minutes on, not saying it would havee made any difference but Stockdale spent most of last 20 minutes on the floor.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 24 Feb 2021 09:58

Quite frankly, the Laurent/Rino/Semedo debate is pretty straightforward.

They are all central midfielders, who are more effective in the defensive side of things. Rino is more box-to-box than the others but isn’t a good enough goal threat to play as a no.10.

Rino & Laurent should be 1st choice, with Semedo as a good backup, esepecially when the other 2 need a rest

It’s as simple as that. Why can’t Pauno see it?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 24 Feb 2021 09:59

bcubed
Norfolk Royal
Hound
Still proper annoyed by last night. tbh I've not been overly fussed by any defeat this year until the last 2. We are so weak when we go behind - it's simply not acceptable to constantly struggle to create any real pressure when chasing the game

Somehow we seem to be missing Swift and Meite more than before they temporarily came back in. But the complete lack of any width from us when we had Yiadom, Esteves and Richards on the bench was infuriating. Every time Holmes got it, he just passed it back inside - don't think he even attempted a cross or an overlap. Really poor.

That's true but partly the result of playing four centre backs in those positions. The McIntyre move to left back was forced in a way after Richards' poor performance in the last game. You can't play a player in the next game after a display like that, whatever the reasons for his poor form are. McIntyre's distribution from left back was awful. He shouldn't play there again. I think Holmes is going to make a cracking centre back if he is ever allowed to play there.

There were more square pegs in round holes last night than a Persimmon Home.

Bad experience?!

Not personally but I've been in quite a few owned by acquaintances who always seem to moan about them.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Feb 2021 10:01

Hendo
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth It's so unquestionably the wrong thing to do as well. We genuinely looked a more balanced team with Semedo further forward.

Tend to agree with that, on another day Rino could've had 2 goals last night, but also agree that he really should be played in the middle above all others.

All you have to do is go back the match threads from 18/19 and you'll see a lot of us said Rinomhota can't shoot. He is a fantastic player, a fantastic athlete and a fantastic professional but he can't shoot consistently well.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Feb 2021 10:02

Norfolk Royal
bcubed
Norfolk Royal
That's true but partly the result of playing four centre backs in those positions. The McIntyre move to left back was forced in a way after Richards' poor performance in the last game. You can't play a player in the next game after a display like that, whatever the reasons for his poor form are. McIntyre's distribution from left back was awful. He shouldn't play there again. I think Holmes is going to make a cracking centre back if he is ever allowed to play there.

There were more square pegs in round holes last night than a Persimmon Home.

Bad experience?!

Not personally but I've been in quite a few owned by acquaintances who always seem to moan about them.

Yeh the reputation is not great

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Feb 2021 10:03

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Three possibilities I can see.

1) Pauno is genuinely an utter incompetent
2) Pauno is trying to decide if he wants to buy Semedo as a defensive midfielder and so wants to see him actually play there
3) Pauno has been affected by the fan criticism that Semedo is a DM not an AM.

1 seems unlikely given how well we've done so far.

2 doesn't explain why Rino is displaced instead of Laurent who is more suited to attacking

3 might as well be 1 with the same issue as 2

Could it be agent driven?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Feb 2021 10:05

windermereROYAL
Norfolk Royal
PistolPete

I`m staggered how he only added 5 minutes on, not saying it would havee made any difference but Stockdale spent most of last 20 minutes on the floor.

I know we were poor but that ref was right up there with the worst of the season. And that's saying something. Offered no protection at all and let so much go. Wycombe in his ear all game and I think that "earned" them their own. Tho I haven't seen it again

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 24 Feb 2021 10:08

windermereROYAL
Norfolk Royal
PistolPete

He certainly should have been booked for time wasting and would have expected to have been booked I would think. Trouble is unless you book keepers for doing that the first time they do it, they will just continue to waste time until they get booked and job done. Let's not be too prissy about it, we would expect our keeper to do that in the same position as well. Stockdale's time wasting was particularly spectacular though.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Feb 2021 10:18

Every time I think I get enough motivation to try and post and analyse this game I just can’t bring myself to do it. I’m still truly perplexed.

Anyone that says Pauno out now is a wombat, but this most recent trend of baffling tactical decisions is a real cause for concern.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Feb 2021 10:41

CountryRoyal Every time I think I get enough motivation to try and post and analyse this game I just can’t bring myself to do it. I’m still truly perplexed.

Anyone that says Pauno out now is a wombat, but this most recent trend of baffling tactical decisions is a real cause for concern.

I wouldn't bother.

It was shit, manager had a shocker, team had a shocker, we move on.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 24 Feb 2021 10:48

I said before the game,that it was time for a reset with Puskas starting up front with Jao.Jao looked very isolated for long periods of the game last night.It is almost the rule book that most teams play one up front.Which is ok provided you have someone like Meite who poses a significant goal threat from the flank.
We basically only had Jao posing a goal threat last night.Pauno s thinking was for Olise and Ejaria to get forward and support him and look for opportunities.Neither however have great goal scoring track records.I am not overlooking Pauno s plan for Rino to burst forward either.However Rino s track record for goal scoring is also very poor.
The next game is always a must win game.But if Pauno keeps on doing the same thing which fails;then this is only going to end badly.I am the first to admit that Puskas has his limitations.But he does one thing very well,and that is running on to the loose ball between and beyond the defence and scoring on the run.Also he is reasonable on penalties-has he missed any ?And please no more CB s at FB.You can never blame Yids for lack of effort.While Richards may have started German classes;but he has become such a class act, that he is bound to offer more of a threat than McIntyre and Holmes.

544 posts