MATCHWATCH : Rotherham united (a)

335 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Rotherham united (a)

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Feb 2021 18:28

CountryRoyal
leon Yeah it wasn’t great but we won. As NR said Olise and Ejaria were good. Why is Rinomhota playing there?

Only Pauno knows. Shame if he’s out for a bit as we will never know if he could have turned into Dennis Bergkamp.

If he is out fingers crossed it’s not for long but at least this way we can stop persisting with him as an attacking midfielder.

Ejaria/Olise/Aluko for Blackburn please. I’d start with Puscas too.

I'd start Puscas too. Joao's been our sole fit striker for about three months , looks shot and is losing form. Puscas is never going to build up match fitness with 5 minutes here or there. Pointless having a £5m international sitting on the bench if you're not going to use him.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 27 Feb 2021 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Feb 2021 18:28

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Hound Wonder how many games Swansea have unconvincingly scraped a 1-0, Norwich got a ‘lucky’ win or Watford have bored the shit out of everyone and scored a 1-0 win with a pen etc

It’s what you need to do tbh, esp with players not on top form

We were berating them for losing out to Millwall in a similar game and not holding on to something against Brentford - I’m more than happy tbh

Yeah so am I. It was an ugly win. Who cares?

Me. It doesn't show signs of any lessons being learnt or significant improvements.

It doesn't always have to. Sometimes just win. Script on here sometimes feels like:

HNA: Just need to win this game, don't care how.

Reading win.

HNA: Yeah, not like that. We were shit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Feb 2021 18:31

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Me. It doesn't show signs of any lessons being learnt or significant improvements.

We held onto a lead, which we’d fail to do twice in the run. Didn’t make changes at the back like we did vs millwall.

What lessons do you think we should have learned?

Playing our most defensive midfielder at RW is stupid.

Failing to change something that isn't working means it will continue to not work.

Late substitutions concede the initiative and momentum of a game.

Defensive substitutions pile on extra pressure because we remove any threat we had and allow the opposition to push on even harder.

We've got a striker struggling for form, but aren't making any effort to challenge his place or bring his alternative up to speed.

Rotherham were shit. We held on this time. We won't repeat that reliably if we continue to make these errors.

We shouldn't have needed to just hang on. And we were a mildly different deflection away from dropping 2 points.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Feb 2021 18:33

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Zip

It doesn't always have to. Sometimes just win. Script on here sometimes feels like:

Reading win.

Don't learn, there won't be improvement.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Feb 2021 18:37

CountryRoyal
Norfolk Royal Think the comments on here are a bit negative to be honest. There were some players out there who put in good shifts. Olise was the pick, the Rotherham commentators saying ‘we never nailed him down,’ Ejaria played well, Richards at least looked interested today, Moore and Morrison mostly solid, Yiadom improved. What impressed me today was our game management in the second half, much more intelligent than of late. Rotherham never really looked like scoring in the second half although they could have in the first, but we missed some very good chances as well. Well done all.

Agreed with the first bit about the effort. Disagree about the second bit.

Think Rotherham looked increasingly likely to get an equaliser and all they needed was a slightly different bounce of the ball and it could have been completely different. That deflected shot deserved to go in for them and it so almost did.

On paper it looks great - brought on defenders and saw out the clean sheet. In reality we lost control of the game with little to now outlet up top and allowed an increase in pressure which we managed to get away with this time.

That’s the way I see it tbh.

Disagree with that, we obviously saw the game differently. The deflected shot did not ‘deserve to go in,’ since if it had not been deflected Rafael would have had a comfortable save.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Feb 2021 18:43

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal Me. It doesn't show signs of any lessons being learnt or significant improvements.

Reading win.

Don't learn, there won't be improvement.

I get that but we just needed a win Ian. Pauno isn’t learning. However with Rino now out he cannot play him out wide again which was a ridiculous place to play him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Feb 2021 18:46

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Reading win.

I think so. As Houndy said teams at the top have sneaked wins. We haven’t managed that. We did today. Good.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Feb 2021 18:51

Royality creeps In
CountryRoyal This commentary is the best thing that’s happened in the last 6 games.

You have to be kidding me. Bloody dreadful!

The audio was out by about 5 minutes on my stream but it wasn't until we scored I realised and it wasn't an issue for the rest of the game, that was how little 'commentating' they did.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 27 Feb 2021 18:57

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Hound Wonder how many games Swansea have unconvincingly scraped a 1-0, Norwich got a ‘lucky’ win or Watford have bored the shit out of everyone and scored a 1-0 win with a pen etc

It’s what you need to do tbh, esp with players not on top form

We were berating them for losing out to Millwall in a similar game and not holding on to something against Brentford - I’m more than happy tbh

Have you seen any of the other top sides this season? In particular Swansea and Norwich. Unless you are Man City all promoted sides have at least half a dozen games where they win ugly

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Feb 2021 19:01

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Have you seen any of the other top sides this season? In particular Swansea and Norwich. Unless you are Man City all promoted sides have at least half a dozen games where they win ugly

Just to note that Norwich and Bournemouth have also just beat Rotherham 1-0, and Cardiff also 2-1. And if I remember rightly Rotherham had a goal chalked off against Norwich that should have been given

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Feb 2021 19:05

Hound
Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal Me. It doesn't show signs of any lessons being learnt or significant improvements.

Just to note that Norwich and Bournemouth have also just beat Rotherham 1-0, and Cardiff also 2-1. And if I remember rightly Rotherham had a goal chalked off against Norwich that should have been given

They won 3-0 at boro too, in form Cardiff were lucky to get a point there today.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Feb 2021 19:38

Funny how at the cessation of last season we were delighted that Rotherham and Wycombe would fill two of the relegation slots for us (with Barnsley to possibly fill the other :shock: )

Well yes they do, like we need to even care 8). Wherever we go from here, this season has been (well, er) refreshing.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Feb 2021 19:51

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Reading win.

This forum has been like that since I registered in 2006.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Feb 2021 20:03

genome
Stranded

Reading win.

Glory hunter.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 27 Feb 2021 20:11

I actually like that Pauno has been consistent with team selections and the way he sets the team up. History has shown its the only way to build a decent side; and is a key reason why we are in the playoffs.

I have a little chuckle when I see fans posting that we should change up the formation or drop our 20+ goal striker.

We are going through a sticky patch. We did what we needed to today and the defence were solid. All the players involved have been a part of beating some of the best sides in the division in the way we set up. The form will return; but we shouldn’t throw away what has been a winning formula for us this season.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Feb 2021 20:38

royalp-we I actually like that Pauno has been consistent with team selections and the way he sets the team up. History has shown its the only way to build a decent side; and is a key reason why we are in the playoffs.

I have a little chuckle when I see fans posting that we should change up the formation or drop our 20+ goal striker.

We are going through a sticky patch. We did what we needed to today and the defence were solid. All the players involved have been a part of beating some of the best sides in the division in the way we set up. The form will return; but we shouldn’t throw away what has been a winning formula for us this season.

I think the issue is, is that for the most part the sticky patch seems almost entirely self-made. We haven’t been particularly unlucky, we haven’t had loads of outrageous decisions against us. We’ve made what appear to be several managerial tactical mistakes which didn’t need to be made.

So at what point do you consider trying something different up top? Even if it’s to bring Joao on from the bench for a game? What happens if he doesn’t score for the rest of the season? Hypothetically do you persist because “well he’s already scored 20 goals?”

It does seem that current predicament is often ignored or justified by unrelated historical context. Not being particularly bothered about changing us being shit, because in the past we were once good, is a lame argument.

Am I happy that we won today’? Of course. Am I delighted where we are in the table? Yes absolutely. Did I think we would be here at the start of the season? No, I don’t think anyone realistically could have.

Does that mean that given all of this we shouldn’t question or be disappointed with a current situation, and on current trend, its possible consequences in the future? I don’t think so.

When we went through the bad patch after our great start it wasn’t that bad because we could point to injuries to blame and were often still playing quite well.

Like I said, I feel that in this spell of poor performances and results it has largely been down to our own doing, and so far haven’t shown too many signs of rectifying those mistakes.

Imho.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Feb 2021 20:50

Hound
Mid Sussex Royal

It's not the result, or even really the performance I have an issue with. It's the management. Which is the same management that saw us drop silly points against Stoke, Millwall and oxf*rd Wycombe Wanderers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Feb 2021 20:53

genome
Stranded

Reading win.

You won't have found me saying the former and then the latter though.

I'd rather not be criticised for someone conflating two different things other people said as my opinion.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 27 Feb 2021 20:57

Good teams can play poorly and still get the win and it doesn't really matter. But when you see a pattern of a team playing with a poor attitude and a lack of real strategy, then it's worrying - whether they win or lose.

We seem to have reverted back to our previously playing styles of hoping to win rather than going out and trying to out-play the opposition. We are now a legitimately decent team, and we shouldn't be struggling against the likes of Wycombe and Rotherham.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Feb 2021 21:15

Elm Park Kid Good teams can play poorly and still get the win and it doesn't really matter. But when you see a pattern of a team playing with a poor attitude and a lack of real strategy, then it's worrying - whether they win or lose.

We seem to have reverted back to our previously playing styles of hoping to win rather than going out and trying to out-play the opposition. We are now a legitimately decent team, and we shouldn't be struggling against the likes of Wycombe and Rotherham.

We are in the final third of the season, it is a cliché but there really is no easy game now. Today was job done and move on. Tuesday was horrendous and as a result the pressure to get a result was all encompassing. To get it is all that matters. Today.

The key now is use that win to push on, we have 2 home games this week against opponents you would probably hand pick currently - simply have to back this win up with at least 4 points this week.

Then there is actually a week between games and they can focus more on areas of weakness etc rather than getting through the cycle of prepare, play, recover we are on now. Very little time to fo much else.

335 posts