423 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (h)

by Sutekh » 27 Feb 2021 17:42

When : Tuesday, 2nd March 2021, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Blackburn’s team bus is scheduled to turn up next, be good if it didn’t contain any players but that’s probably a little on the unlikely side.

Tony Mowbray’s boys are on the slide, or possibly were on the slide as the collection of a point against Coventry on Saturday was their first sight of any points whatsoever from their last 6 games. Either way it’s not a good run but, as ever, it seems when your team isn’t on a good run you really want your next game to be against Reading - particularly an away game at Reading.

Adam Armstrong with 19 goals from 31 games is the dangerous threat to keep quiet while Liverpool loanee Harvey Elliott hasn’t done too bad at all. On top of that Bradley Dack and Ben Brereton are both back involved in things to help give Rovers much more liveliness in attack.

Reading really need to up their performances as Blackburn, even in their current form, have a lot more threat and organisation about them then either of Reading’s last two opponents and they both managed to make Reading look poor. Personally think Joao should be dropped as he just isn’t looking the player he was a month ago for some reason and if that means 2 up front in Puscas and Baldock then 2 up front it should be however VP is utterly intransigent on formation so it’ll be 4-2-3-1 again and Joao is best suited to that.

Expectation is that Meite will still not be fit enough, as he is only due to return to training on Monday, however he may get on the bench for 20 minutes or so on Tuesday but personally I think it’ll be next Saturday for his return. Swift is still out, Araruna may now be fit enough to offer and additional option to the manager. Finally Andy Rinomhota is a doubt for the game following his substitution at Rotherham.

Referee

Gavin Ward

Previously

05 Dec 2020 > Reading 2-0 Nottingham Forest
03 Oct 2020 > Reading 1-0 Watford
04 Feb 2020 > Cardiff City 3-3 Reading (FA Cup)
22 Apr 2019 > Reading 0-0 West Bromwich Albion
12 Mar 2018 > Reading 0-3 Leeds United
01 Sep 2018 > Reading 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday
25 Aug 2015 > Portsmouth 1-2 Reading (League Cup)
20 Dec 2014 > Reading 0-1 Watford
25 Oct 2014 > Reading 3-0 Blackpool
17 Apr 2012 > Reading 1-0 Nottingham Forest
01 Feb 2011 > Cardiff City 2-2 Reading
16 Mar 2010 > Reading 1-0 Queens Park Rangers
11 Aug 2009 > Reading 5-1 Burton Albion (League Cup)

Historically

Reading hadn't played a league game against Blackburn until a 1-1 draw on Saturday 1st December 1979. Since then there's been a further 10 visits from the Rovers and it's a case of 4 wins to Reading and 3 to Blackburn. Apart from one game, things have tended to be very close affairs with a goal deciding it or more than likely no goals happening whatsoever.

How to follow the game

1. Red button from about 7.55pm
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (h)

by Royals and Racers » 27 Feb 2021 17:47

Full SKY coverage match main event(401) and Football(403)- not Red button
Last edited by Royals and Racers on 27 Feb 2021 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Feb 2021 17:47

Looks like Rino is missing for this, I would be happy to put McIntyre in his normal position, but I expect Semedo will be there.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Feb 2021 17:51

windermereROYAL Looks like Rino is missing for this, I would be happy to put McIntyre in his normal position, but I expect Semedo will be there.

Agree with this. McIntyre has played there before and at least will have some more defensive awareness then Semedo. He’s also pretty good on the ball and can make decent driving runs forward.

But I suspect you’re right wr.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Feb 2021 17:53

Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Laurent
McIntyre

Aluko
Olise
Ejaria

Puscas

Just think Joao needs a bit of a kick up his arse, plus a fit and hungry Lucas Joao against a tiring defence sounds exciting.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 27 Feb 2021 18:52

This really depends which Blackburn show up, over the last 2 seasons they've had a habit of looking like they could make an assault on the play offs only to then lose a few once in a good position. I thought in Jan they looked very well placed and had Dack back but they've dropped off badly.

As per Sutekh's post, they are a real threat up top and this could end up any result

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Feb 2021 20:25

Can`t have Puscas up top on his own, his hold play just isn`t good enough, Pauno said Meite is very close, I would have thought if he wasn`t involved today then Tuesday is too soon too.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Mar 2021 09:13

I really don't know lads. I get the "rest Joao" sentiment. It's probably right. But do we risk Puscas or Meite so quickly?

I said I have given up on top 6 but we should still play like that's the goal right? And making sure those 2 are fit for the run in is sensible.

Pauno not using subs is a massive worry right now. It doesn't feel like there is any way to break into the team at all without injury and the replacements will never be properly prepped if they don't get proper game time.

I suppose we should just count our blessings that the core unit is actually really strong?

I dunno. I am out of ideas because it has become clear that none of what I see is what Pauno sees and he knows more than I.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Mar 2021 09:15

Joao is our top scorer, our real threat, you dont "rest" a player like that. Give your head a wobble.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Mar 2021 09:17

paultheroyal Joao is our top scorer, our real threat, you dont "rest" a player like that. Give your head a wobble.

Why not? He looks tired and the loss now could yield massive gains later. Injury risk, fatigue and essential match fitness and experience for our second striker could all be very important in the run in.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Mar 2021 09:18

NewCorkSeth
paultheroyal Joao is our top scorer, our real threat, you dont "rest" a player like that. Give your head a wobble.

Why not? He looks tired and the loss now could yield massive gains later. Injury risk, fatigue and essential match fitness and experience for our second striker could all be very important in the run in.

Dont think he looks tired at all. That mooching around style has followed him for his entire career. He is in the form of his life. We are told behind Toney he is best striker in the Championship, let him play.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Mar 2021 09:20

You don't drop your star player, relatively in form or not, against a dangerous side like Blackburn. He's not been rubbish, he's just been not as amazing as usual and still miles better than any other option. If you're going to rest him you do it against a shit side.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Mar 2021 09:25

paultheroyal
NewCorkSeth

Dont think he looks tired at all. That mooching around style has followed him for his entire career. He is in the form of his life. We are told behind Toney he is best striker in the Championship, let him play.

Just my opinion but I thought quite a few players have looked very tired in the last few games. Joao and Laurent mostly.

I agree that he has a lethargic style that suits his play and don't think he has been poor at all in his recent games. In fact I only think the goals have been less forthcoming due to the lack of balance the recent starting XIs have had. However we often look like cant change the game without either luck or some individual piece of brilliance from Joao. Makes me think we need to make sure all our options are fit and ready to make an impact.

I dont think Puscas will be able to make an impact unless he gets some significant time on the pitch and he won't get that from the bench with how Pauno uses subs.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Mar 2021 09:46

I would argue that players always look more tired when they are losing and confidence is low - body language changes and they look more tired even if they aren't compared to a game they are winning (or in the middle of a winning streak).

There is no way they are are 100% of course but the issue will be common across clubs. If they follow up Saturday with 3 more points tomorrow then I can almost guarantee they will look less tired.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Mar 2021 09:49

NewCorkSeth I really don't know lads. I get the "rest Joao" sentiment. It's probably right. But do we risk Puscas or Meite so quickly?

I said I have given up on top 6 but we should still play like that's the goal right? And making sure those 2 are fit for the run in is sensible.

Pauno not using subs is a massive worry right now. It doesn't feel like there is any way to break into the team at all without injury and the replacements will never be properly prepped if they don't get proper game time.

I suppose we should just count our blessings that the core unit is actually really strong?

I dunno. I am out of ideas because it has become clear that none of what I see is what Pauno sees and he knows more than I.

Bit strange to have given up on the top 6 when we’ve been in there every gameweek since week 1 (with the exception of one)!

Every team has wobbles, we’ve reacted before and we’ll react again, with hopefully the Rotherham game being the catalyst

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Mar 2021 09:50

Stranded I would argue that players always look more tired when they are losing and confidence is low - body language changes and they look more tired even if they aren't compared to a game they are winning (or in the middle of a winning streak).

There is no way they are are 100% of course but the issue will be common across clubs. If they follow up Saturday with 3 more points tomorrow then I can almost guarantee they will look less tired.

I hope you are correct!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Mar 2021 09:51

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth I really don't know lads. I get the "rest Joao" sentiment. It's probably right. But do we risk Puscas or Meite so quickly?

Bit strange to have given up on the top 6 when we’ve been in there every gameweek since week 1 (with the exception of one)!

Every team has wobbles, we’ve reacted before and we’ll react again, with hopefully the Rotherham game being the catalyst

Oh I just think Barnsley and Cardiff have the momentum to knock out the teams above.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Mar 2021 09:53

CountryRoyal Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Laurent
McIntyre

Aluko
Olise
Ejaria

Puscas

Just think Joao needs a bit of a kick up his arse, plus a fit and hungry Lucas Joao against a tiring defence sounds exciting.

Don’t understand the fascination of playing players out of position when there are ready made replacements available (unless I’m missing something). Semedo isn’t the best player we’ll have but he does a job and unless he’s injured, there’s no way McIntyre will play in midfield ahead of him

Expect to see Esteves in for Aluko who’s been rather frozen out recently

Although IIRC Blackburn is the first game that Paunovic changed formation for, from his usual 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 diamond formation, so there’s always the option for that too - especially with the injuries we currently have in attacking positions

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Mar 2021 10:01

Joao should continue to start unless he is unfit. However, definitely agree that I'd like to see Puscas get more minutes where possible. Not that easy in the formation we play though, and I don't fancy him as one of the 3 behind Joao.

Off to top of my head I can't remember Joao scoring too many late ones - after say 70 mins? Think that would be the sort of time I'd like to see a more energetic striker like Puscas come on regularly

Also be happier to see Esteves wide right than Aluko. Ejaria/Olise/Esteves is probably the way I'd go until Meite is back fully fit
Last edited by Hound on 01 Mar 2021 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Mar 2021 10:02

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Oh I just think Barnsley and Cardiff have the momentum to knock out the teams above.

They are absolutely a threat but their recent form is W5 D1 of last 6 - you would have to say (and looking at all other teams this season) that kind of run isn't sustainable and in Barnsley's case is a massive swing. In the 6 before this run they were W2 D1 L3. Cardiff were worse but obviously changed manager.

No reason to think we aren't capable of improving our form again (we were W3 D3 in the 6 games before this run) and that they won't slide back a bit.

It's likely to be a lot tighter than we would have liked but that, I think is the result of the churn this particular season has brought us but it is in our hands esp. as we still have to play both of them.

423 posts