423 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (h)

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Mar 2021 10:10

Stranded
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
Bit strange to have given up on the top 6 when we’ve been in there every gameweek since week 1 (with the exception of one)!

Every team has wobbles, we’ve reacted before and we’ll react again, with hopefully the Rotherham game being the catalyst

Oh I just think Barnsley and Cardiff have the momentum to knock out the teams above.

They are absolutely a threat but their recent form is W5 D1 of last 6 - you would have to say (and looking at all other teams this season) that kind of run isn't sustainable and in Barnsley's case is a massive swing. In the 6 before this run they were W2 D1 L3. Cardiff were worse but obviously changed manager.

No reason to think we aren't capable of improving our form again (we were W3 D3 in the 6 games before this run) and that they won't slide back a bit.

It's likely to be a lot tighter than we would have liked but that, I think is the result of the churn this particular season has brought us but it is in our hands esp. as we still have to play both of them.

I suppose its up to how the players respond. If they don't have steely resolve they could well let the pressure get to them. It's a scary position to be in having a team breathing down your neck, especially when those teams looks confident and if they really believe they can do it.

Fact is, if we lose both games this week and results don't go our way we are down to 8th and looking at a difficult climb back in. I'm not trying to be negative I just think we fluffed 2 or 3 games recently when we really needed momentum.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Mar 2021 11:05

NewCorkSeth
Stranded
NewCorkSeth Oh I just think Barnsley and Cardiff have the momentum to knock out the teams above.

They are absolutely a threat but their recent form is W5 D1 of last 6 - you would have to say (and looking at all other teams this season) that kind of run isn't sustainable and in Barnsley's case is a massive swing. In the 6 before this run they were W2 D1 L3. Cardiff were worse but obviously changed manager.

No reason to think we aren't capable of improving our form again (we were W3 D3 in the 6 games before this run) and that they won't slide back a bit.

It's likely to be a lot tighter than we would have liked but that, I think is the result of the churn this particular season has brought us but it is in our hands esp. as we still have to play both of them.

I suppose its up to how the players respond. If they don't have steely resolve they could well let the pressure get to them. It's a scary position to be in having a team breathing down your neck, especially when those teams looks confident and if they really believe they can do it.

Fact is, if we lose both games this week and results don't go our way we are down to 8th and looking at a difficult climb back in. I'm not trying to be negative I just think we fluffed 2 or 3 games recently when we really needed momentum.

And if we win both, we could be between 3 and 9 points clear - easy game this :-)

The fact is - we are a bit of a streaky team this year especially when it comes to defeats. We lost 4 on the bounce and before Saturday, 4 out of 5. That means that outside of those two streaks of 9 games, this side doesn't really lose, just 3 of the remaining 24.

We've recovered from one tailspin and I am hoping that getting a hard fought win on Saturday is the start of the team clawing it's way out of another.

It is this propensity to go on downward spirals that makes things seem worse than they are especially when a couple of teams below us are going on the kind of run we managed at the start of the season - I'll be amazed if they maintain those much longer.

I will agree that if we drop out it may be difficult to get back in but that also depends on how and when that happens. As mentioned, we still play Barnsley and Cardiff but not until after the international break, so if we slip out in the next few games then we have the chance to correct - if we slip out having lost to one or both of them then yep goose most likely cooked but things are likely to be in our hands for some time yet.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Mar 2021 12:28

paultheroyal Joao is our top scorer, our real threat, you dont "rest" a player like that. Give your head a wobble.

Playing badly. Missing chances. Looking tired.

Certainly should be taking him off earlier and giving back up the minutes.

We can't motivational boo him through Ifollow.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Mar 2021 12:53

The Blackburn forum reads very much like the Brizzle forum before we played them, incredibly low confidence in a result and against Brizzle we dominated, hopefully it's a good omen.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 01 Mar 2021 13:09

We are a side that due to injuries to Meite and Puscas recently, have been limited to one main goal scorer , Joao . Having scored 20 goals , this obviously indicates that he’s pretty good at it . I fail to see how dropping our proven goal scorer , to , I suppose , replace him with an un-match fit replacement , makes any sense ! I would like to see us play , whichever of the other two ( Meite or Puscas ) that are fit enough , alongside him , giving him support and hopefully , increased opportunities . More players in the final third should increase the time the ball spends in that area of the pitch . Not rocket science .
As for being tired out —— I keep reading you saying ‘ he’s not doing anything ‘ .

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Mar 2021 13:15

I do think Meite back should be a massive help to Joao. Can help take one of the men off him, and also has that additional physical threat that the likes of olise and Ejaria don't have. Been very much the case recently that stopping Joao stops our attacking threat.

Camara playing for the U23 now so hopefully a pointer that Meite is back for tomorrow

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Mar 2021 13:33

Hound I do think Meite back should be a massive help to Joao. Can help take one of the men off him, and also has that additional physical threat that the likes of olise and Ejaria don't have. Been very much the case recently that stopping Joao stops our attacking threat.

Especially considering the wayward shooting of Ejaria, Olise and Rinomhota.

Meite being out is what has stopped us from winning games imo. He is the only one who fills that role effectively and his absence has lost us a lot of points. How many lovely little floated crosses from Ejaria to the right post have been wasted with no Meite there to battle his way to them? How many 50/50 balls have been given up on without Meite there to tenaciously chase them down?

It's odd that we have been missing a player of Swifts quality most if the season yet it is the grit and determination of Meite that is the ingredient most needed. Too much flash and not enough fire in the front 4 without him. I guess that's why Rinomhota played further forward? To add some much needed determination?

Either way we have done remarkably well with the limits injury has forced upon us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Mar 2021 13:36

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal Joao is our top scorer, our real threat, you dont "rest" a player like that. Give your head a wobble.

We can try?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 01 Mar 2021 13:57

Maybe if we stop lumping longs balls up to Joao he might start looking interested again? Puscas would do no better (probably worse) with the service, Meite would be a better option, however If he is fit enough to start - he is for sure more effective playing with Joao.

Joao has looked very isolated up top - we dont seem to get in around him like we used to, link up play is almost non existent. I do think Ejaria / Olise needs to play more centrally and allow Richards or Yaidom provide width. Also means we can pack the midfield with technically gifted players who are able to and enjoy the 1 or 2 touch pass game.
I also have been very unimpressed with Moore since his return, there fore i would like -

Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Mcintyre
Richards

Laurent
Semedo
Aluko
Olise
Ejaria

Joao

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Mar 2021 14:23

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

We can try?

You think I haven't? :wink:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Mar 2021 14:34

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Playing badly. Missing chances. Looking tired.

We can try?

You think I haven't? :wink:

I presumed you lost your voice shouting at Ejaria to PASS THE oxf*rd BALL YOU PRICK.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Mar 2021 14:36

Rumbloled

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Mar 2021 14:46

Low reckoning Rino out tomorrow and hopefully back Sat (prob means he's out ages)

Meite and Gibson back this week, but my understanding is Meite only returned to first team training today, so best to probably wait as we have a full week after Sat and we need him fit for the run in.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Mar 2021 16:22

URZZZZ
CountryRoyal Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Laurent
McIntyre

Aluko
Olise
Ejaria

Puscas

Just think Joao needs a bit of a kick up his arse, plus a fit and hungry Lucas Joao against a tiring defence sounds exciting.

Don’t understand the fascination of playing players out of position when there are ready made replacements available (unless I’m missing something). Semedo isn’t the best player we’ll have but he does a job and unless he’s injured, there’s no way McIntyre will play in midfield ahead of him

Expect to see Esteves in for Aluko who’s been rather frozen out recently

Although IIRC Blackburn is the first game that Paunovic changed formation for, from his usual 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 diamond formation, so there’s always the option for that too - especially with the injuries we currently have in attacking positions

Says don’t see the fascination in playing players out of position.

Proceeds to suggest playing Right Back Esteves out of position at the expense of Aluko.

:lol:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Mar 2021 16:33

CountryRoyal
URZZZZ
CountryRoyal Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Laurent
McIntyre

Aluko
Olise
Ejaria

Puscas

Just think Joao needs a bit of a kick up his arse, plus a fit and hungry Lucas Joao against a tiring defence sounds exciting.

Don’t understand the fascination of playing players out of position when there are ready made replacements available (unless I’m missing something). Semedo isn’t the best player we’ll have but he does a job and unless he’s injured, there’s no way McIntyre will play in midfield ahead of him

Although IIRC Blackburn is the first game that Paunovic changed formation for, from his usual 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 diamond formation, so there’s always the option for that too - especially with the injuries we currently have in attacking positions

Proceeds to suggest playing Right Back Esteves out of position at the expense of Aluko.

That involves me thinking Aluko is better on the right btw

I guess I see where you’re coming from though, but wasn’t there a general consensus on here that Esteves wasn’t a RB and should be deployed further forward because he was making too many mistakes? He did OK against Bristol there

Either way, I’m easy but Aluko is a bit of a liability defensively

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Mar 2021 17:16

URZZZZ
CountryRoyal
URZZZZ

I guess I see where you’re coming from though, but wasn’t there a general consensus on here that Esteves wasn’t a RB and should be deployed further forward because he was making too many mistakes? He did OK against Bristol there

That was far from a consensus

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Mar 2021 17:27

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
CountryRoyal

That was far from a consensus

OK - will rephrase. Most people came to the conclusion that Esteves wasn’t ready/good enough as a RB as he had too many deficiencies there and we also have Yiadom, Araruna and Holmes that play there

And so given that IMO our only natural wide player on the right is injured, one logical solution may be to push Esteves up, where he’s less likely to make mistakes and hence hopefully able to build his confidence up

IMO it’s a different situation with Semedo as CDM is supposed to be his natural position

Either way, the initial point was that given Aluko has played a grand total of about 20 minutes in the last 5/6 games (even with Meite and Swift out) and Esteves has been preferred ahead of him, it’s more than likely he’ll get the nod if Rino is out

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Mar 2021 17:42

Cabral
Yiadom, Morrison, Moore, Richards
Semedo, Laurent
Olise, Aluko, Ejaria
Joao

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 Mar 2021 18:01

Rafael

Yiadom
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre

Semedo
Laurent
Olise
Aluko
Ejaria

Puscas

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Mar 2021 18:41

Orion1871 Rafael

Yiadom
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre

Semedo
Laurent
Olise
Aluko
Ejaria

Puscas

Why would you play Puscas up front on his own when it`s widely recognised he`s not so good at that?

423 posts