Interesting.Is Nelson Oliveira really available?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Interesting.Is Nelson Oliveira really available?

by Westwood52 » 04 Jun 2021 10:15

I thought Oliveira looked a class act when he was with us,and is apparently available.He is 29,and would be an excellent acquisition.Touch of a much younger Cavani about him;however would he sign for say £20 k a week,or is this sort of money beyond us ?But hey ho Baldock who was on similar money has gone ,and that would fill the funding gap.Just saying; we could do a lot worse.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Interesting.Is Nelson Oliveira really available?

by windermereROYAL » 04 Jun 2021 10:20

I would say the days of us paying £20k a week are behind us for the time being.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Jun 2021 10:31

Would love him back but as Windy says I don’t think this is an affordable option.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 04 Jun 2021 11:17

complete conjecture that he would want 20k per week and that we wouldn't be prepared to pay that. It would be a cracking signing, but would he be on our radar? since he was here the entire backroom staff and upstairs have changed. but it would be a yes from me anyway puscas out nelson in

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Jun 2021 18:47

UR&G.

Could do a lot worse but we don’t need another striker. I expect we’ll lose Joao, but until we do he’ll be beyond us, in all probability.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 05 Jun 2021 07:55

I honestly cannot see us losing Joao - any Prem team will surely look both at his scoring and misses and will conclude that he's too risky a proposition for them. Also his work rate would be much too low for the Prem ...

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Jun 2021 08:13

Royalwaster I honestly cannot see us losing Joao - any Prem team will surely look both at his scoring and misses and will conclude that he's too risky a proposition for them. Also his work rate would be much too low for the Prem ...

agree. We desperately need another striker though

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 05 Jun 2021 10:15

I also don’t think that we will lose Joao . Always thought that Oliveira was a class striker at our level and if we could get him , it might have an effect on Joao’s concentration levels .

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 05 Jun 2021 12:51

When Oliveira came to us on loan was that due to Kia? If so, there is a chance he may return (finances permitting) though most of the other personnel (manager, etc) have changed - but then again Stam was interested in him years ago.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jun 2021 19:08

...but would we ever want Mings :twisted: here? (budgets etc. put aside)

Enjoyed Oliveiras’ stay with us.
Would enjoy another spell of him......we can dream

Love Oliveira...Hate Mings...always will

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 06 Jun 2021 11:12

Did ok with AEK as lone striker but would work well as a lone or in partnership with any of our strikers.

Would love for this to happen, but was on approx £25k with AEK. Kia will get him in to the club who can offer him one final payday on a good 3/4yr deal.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 06 Jun 2021 11:39

royalp-we Did ok with AEK as lone striker but would work well as a lone or in partnership with any of our strikers.

Would love for this to happen, but was on approx £25k with AEK. Kia will get him in to the club who can offer him one final payday on a good 3/4yr deal.

If some more big earners leave,we might stretch to £25k a week ?Moore is not worth the investment of £35k a week.His form was very patchy last season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jun 2021 11:43

royalp-we Did ok with AEK as lone striker but would work well as a lone or in partnership with any of our strikers.

Iirc he was quite selfish and didn't link up very well with Meite, so not sure I agree he'd pair well with any of our strikers.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 06 Jun 2021 12:35

Snowflake Royal

Iirc he was quite selfish and didn't link up very well with Meite, so not sure I agree he'd pair well with any of our strikers.

I was thinking more Joao and Puscas. Meite plays wide and rarely central.

Although I take your point.

Joao / Puscas / Oliveira is a powerful strikeforce. Doubt we can afford the wages mind; and in all honesty if we are to spend good wages on someone I’d like to see a talented winger join.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jun 2021 13:09

Fair.

I think we shouldn't sign anyone on more than £16k unless it's to replace someone on over £20k, in which case it shouldn't be over £20k. We've got a lot of savings to make.

One of the reasons I'd be happy to not sell Olise, yeah we get some millions, but chances are we replace him with someone on higher wages at a time we need to cut the budget.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 06 Jun 2021 22:13

Agreed. When you look at clubs we should look to for inspiration and getting us back to the Reading way (Brentford) they have one / two / three high earners. The rest are younger players plucked from lower leagues out to make a point.

We’ve maxxed out our high earners whilst Puscas, Moore and likely others like Rafael and Joao are on the books. All about shrewd signings and getting some bunce for the players with value and adding players who can equally compete whilst earning sensible wages. Not an easy task but needs to be done.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Jun 2021 15:26

Royalwaster I honestly cannot see us losing Joao - any Prem team will surely look both at his scoring and misses and will conclude that he's too risky a proposition for them. Also his work rate would be much too low for the Prem ...

:|

If they looked at his scoring and misses they’d conclude that he was one of the best strikers in the Championship, and based on past years one of them would probably sign him. He scored more goals than you’d expect based on the quality of chances (see: https://experimental361.com/2021/05/29/ ... usel-29499).

Work rate… maybe? His defensive stats aren’t great, but a lot of the other players near the bottom (Pukki, Deeney, Gray) have played a lot in the top flight - Gray is probably the least successful of the three and he’s played 100 games - so I’m not sure it’s as big a deal as you’re making out.

The only real chance we have of keeping him is that clubs are all short on money right now. People will almost certainly be interested, the only question is whether they can meet our valuation.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jun 2021 13:34

AthleticoSpizz ...but would we ever want Mings :twisted: here? (budgets etc. put aside)

Summer of 2017 wasn’t it? Linked heavily with a £5m bid to take Oliviera from Norwich but instead Stam thought spending £7.5m on Aluko was the future of the club. :o

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 08 Jun 2021 16:12

Sutekh
AthleticoSpizz ...but would we ever want Mings :twisted: here? (budgets etc. put aside)

Summer of 2017 wasn’t it? Linked heavily with a £5m bid to take Oliviera from Norwich but instead Stam thought spending £7.5m on Aluko was the future of the club. :o

Not quite how it happened though.

Stam wanted Oliveira and the club wouldn't (understandably to some degree) stump up Norwich's asking price which was reported as circa £9m at the time. We ended up with Aluko out of desperation after the season had already started not because Stam preferred him to Oliveira. Pretty certain that £7.5m? was heavily weighted with a promotion clause so in reality he didn't cost us as much as was reported. Still a colossal waste of money of course.

Echoes of the 2019 summer when we could have got Oliveira for next to nothing but weren't in a position at the time to match his wage offer in Greece. Then lo and behold a couple of weeks later we've found some money down the back of the sofa and we're spending multi millions on Puscas and Joao.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 08 Jun 2021 20:47

royalp-we
Snowflake Royal

I was thinking more Joao and Puscas. Meite plays wide and rarely central.

Although I take your point.

Joao / Puscas / Oliveira is a powerful strikeforce. Doubt we can afford the wages mind; and in all honesty if we are to spend good wages on someone I’d like to see a talented winger join.

There was talk of taking a hit and offloading Puskas.If so with Baldock gone,we could afford Oliveira.It has never quite worked out with Puskas; because we rarely play to his strengths,it’s a case of one step forward and then one step back.At times he looks very awkward and not worth the purchase price.I remember one game pre the Mings stamp;when Oliveira literally scored a goal out of nothing in front of the North Stand.Cant remember the opposition though.If Swift and Olise go,I would also have Baker back in a heartbeat;unless his attitude has really gone down the pan.Surely his contract with Chelsea has now run down ?