Euro 2020

2571 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Euro 2020

by NathStPaul » 11 Jul 2021 23:26

Hard/impossible to say the best team didn't win the tournament. Italy played their football in the right way and were generally impressive in each game they played

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jul 2021 23:27

Zip
AthleticoSpizz
Royal Rother Southgate has been brilliant at so many aspects of management but he is just a bit too cautious and unreactive for me.

Mancini changed things in the 2nd half - they were very deep in the 1st half but started the 2nd half about 15 yards higher up the pitch, and made timely substitutions. Southgate did nothing to counter that.

Saka was poor - bit too big an occasions. I’m sure he’s been great in training (taking pens) but it’s a bloody big ask for him to step up as a teenager under that pressure. Where the fcuk was Sterling?

That defeat lies squarely on Southgate’s shoulders I’m sorry to say.

Very disappointed in his management tonight.

I fear we will continue to be nearly men under him - needs someone with a slightly more adventurous approach to take the next step.

But who? Fcuk knows.
sooo, you would stick with the manager who has got us to our best ever finish in 55 (Fifty Five Years)....wouldn’t you?

I would

Yes of course you would. He will learn from this.
just think that RR needs a cuddle right now tbf

Let’s be realistic

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Jul 2021 23:29

AthleticoSpizz
Royal Rother Southgate has been brilliant at so many aspects of management but he is just a bit too cautious and unreactive for me.

Mancini changed things in the 2nd half - they were very deep in the 1st half but started the 2nd half about 15 yards higher up the pitch, and made timely substitutions. Southgate did nothing to counter that.

Saka was poor - bit too big an occasions. I’m sure he’s been great in training (taking pens) but it’s a bloody big ask for him to step up as a teenager under that pressure. Where the fcuk was Sterling?

I fear we will continue to be nearly men under him - needs someone with a slightly more adventurous approach to take the next step.

But who? Fcuk knows.
sooo, you would stick with the manager who has got us to our best ever finish in 55 (Fifty Five Years)....wouldn’t you?

I would

Not going to slag him off disrespectfully but timescales / history are irrelevant I think.

We had a good enough squad (and 1st half) to win that, but weak / over-cautious management cost us, as it did against Croatia.

You have to counter changes that the opposition make and he doesn’t seem to do that.

Love him but I just don’t think he is astute / brave enough to win major tournaments, whereas the players at his disposal probably are and will be for the next 8 years.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jul 2021 23:31

Royal Rother
AthleticoSpizz

But who? Fcuk knows.

I would

Not going to slag him off disrespectfully but timescales / history are irrelevant I think.

We had a good enough squad (and 1st half) to win that, but weak / over-cautious management cost us, as it did against Croatia.

You have to counter changes that the opposition make and he doesn’t seem to do that.

Love him but I just don’t think he is astute / brave enough to win major tournaments, whereas the players at his disposal probably are and will be for the next 8 years.

You want to sack the most successful manager in England’s history bar Sir Alf. Wow.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Jul 2021 23:36

Anybody suggesting that Southgate needs replacing has lost the right to have an opinion on anything. Ever. How much of a oxf*rd imbecile must you be?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jul 2021 23:36

Seemingly.

Got to give him another WC

Semi-finals last time

“He don’t know what he’s doing” as the song goes :? ,

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Jul 2021 23:37

Zip
Royal Rother
AthleticoSpizz sooo, you would stick with the manager who has got us to our best ever finish in 55 (Fifty Five Years)....wouldn’t you?

I would

You want to sack the most successful manager in England’s history bar Sir Alf. Wow.

I want us to win things, that’s all, and I think we should have won this.

Maybe have him for the group stages then pass the baton to someone else for the knockout stages! :lol:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jul 2021 23:38

Royal Rother
Zip
Royal Rother

Maybe have him for the group stages then pass the baton to someone else for the knockout stages! :lol:
who?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jul 2021 23:46

Royal Rother
Zip
Royal Rother

I’m not sure about England winning it. Italy are technically better. Besides he has improved on the last World Cup and got this team to within a whisker at these Euros. He is going in the right direction. He has earnt the right to manage the team in the WC Finals. Be careful what you wish for.
Last edited by Zip on 11 Jul 2021 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Jul 2021 23:47

WestYorksRoyal Anybody suggesting that Southgate needs replacing has lost the right to have an opinion on anything. Ever. How much of a oxf*rd imbecile must you be?

He was poor tonight. He was poor v Croatia. The evidence is building that he’s not got that extra bit you need to convert the opportunities.

There’s always a right time to make a change, now could be it.

But it won’t happen of course and people who are okay with losing won’t even countenance a discussion on the subject, which is fine.

Maybe he will come out himself and say “I’ve taken this team as far as I can”.

I for one think he probably has.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Jul 2021 23:48

AthleticoSpizz
Royal Rother
Zip

who?

Mourinho? :lol:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jul 2021 23:50

Royal Rother
AthleticoSpizz
Royal Rother

who?

Mourinho? :lol:
lol, I guess

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jul 2021 23:50

Royal Rother
WestYorksRoyal Anybody suggesting that Southgate needs replacing has lost the right to have an opinion on anything. Ever. How much of a oxf*rd imbecile must you be?

He was poor tonight. He was poor v Croatia. The evidence is building that he’s not got that extra bit you need to convert the opportunities.

But it won’t happen of course and people who are okay with losing won’t even countenance a discussion on the subject, which is fine.

Why do you think England should have beaten technically the better side tonight?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jul 2021 23:51

...and with a superior recent result history

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jul 2021 23:54

Mancini has done a brilliant job. They really are a cracking side. Chiesa and Spinnazola re great to watch.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Jul 2021 23:57

Bizarre decision by UEFA to give Donnarumma the player of the tournament award.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Jul 2021 23:59

Zip
Royal Rother

Why do you think England should have beaten technically the better side tonight?

I feel we were the better team in the 1st half - Mancini changed things and we didn’t react.

I know Rice tends to cramp up late on but he was our best player tonight. I’d have liked to see him stay on until he DID cramp up but it’s like Southgate has a formula in his mind and sticks to it. We needed something different to change the way the game was going - Henderson for Rice was never going to change anything and in fact Henderson was poor, so that substitution took us backwards.

Grealish came on too late. Fresh legs and fresh thinking after 60 mins would have been a positive move.

But hey, these are just my unemotional assessments of what just happened.

Agree or disagree, no worries.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jul 2021 00:03

Royal Rother
Zip
Royal Rother

I feel we were the better team in the 1st half - Mancini changed things and we didn’t react.

I know Rice tends to cramp up late on but he was our best player tonight. I’d have liked to see him stay on until he DID cramp up but it’s like Southgate has a formula in his mind and sticks to it. We needed something different to change the way the game was going - Henderson for Rice was never going to change anything and in fact Henderson was poor, so that substitution took us backwards.

Grealish came on too late. Fresh legs and fresh thinking after 60 mins would have been a positive move.

Agree about Rice and the lack of subs. Mancini got the better of Southgate in the end but you want Southgate sacked on the back of losing a penalty shoot out. That seems daft to me. Anyway we can agree to disagree on this one. Sleep well. Time for bed.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jul 2021 00:06

Penalty shoot-outs?

Might as well be toss-of-a-coin tbf

(absolutely no reflection of the game(s) that have preceded it....it’s tough kid, but it’s life)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jul 2021 00:11

Zip
Royal Rother
Zip

Agree about Rice and the lack of subs. Mancini got the better of Southgate in the end but you want Southgate sacked on the back of losing a penalty shoot out. That seems daft to me. Anyway we can agree to disagree on this one. Sleep well. Time for bed.

Yep, agreed on the last point!

I know it’s what I’m suggesting but it sounds too harsh - “sack Southgate”. No, couldn’t do that in reality, but he really needs to change something in his own approach. I hope he can do that. If he can’t, then we will carry on getting close but not win anything, and that’s just not good enough for me, not with the talent at his disposal. :cry:

Oh well, tomorrow’s another day.

2571 posts