Total votes: 27
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Next Manager

by Lower West » 27 Oct 2021 16:29

Hendo
Lower West
Stranded As it stands, Pauno will be leaving come the summer as his contract runs out.

Other than for the money and blight on his personal reputation why would he wish to stay. Probably has learnt a lot and will seek a new better challenge.

Why would him staying be a blight on his reputation?

That was with reference to walking away. As was the case with Gomes who actually remained until he was sacked a few months later.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Oct 2021 17:33

Hendo
Lower West
Stranded As it stands, Pauno will be leaving come the summer as his contract runs out.

Other than for the money and blight on his personal reputation why would he wish to stay. Probably has learnt a lot and will seek a new better challenge.

Maybe he is settled in the area, maybe his family has settled and he doesn't want to move on again.

Maybe he actually likes managing Reading.

There could be many more reasons to stay at Reading, other than the money.

Job security and success probably not chief amongst them.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Oct 2021 06:57

Hendo
Lower West

Maybe he is settled in the area, maybe his family has settled and he doesn't want to move on again.

If the claim he turned down the Serbian national job last year is true, then maybe he does enjoy the challenge here.

He currently has a 40% win rate at Championship level though, do maintain that and there will be no shortage of interested parties next summer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2021 08:20

Stranded
Hendo
Lower West

If the claim he turned down the Serbian national job last year is true, then maybe he does enjoy the challenge here.

He currently has a 40% win rate at Championship level though, do maintain that and there will be no shortage of interested parties next summer.

Less likely if he maintains this season's 50% loss rate.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Oct 2021 08:53

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Hendo

He also has a 42.8% win rate this season in the league. So would still be a decent option for a lot of clubs. It is arguably the lack of draws costing us a better spot at the mo i.e. not lose to Blackpool or Derby and we'd be in the 21pt gang.

Strangely, if we continue like we are our record this season will be W20 D3 L23 - so 63pts without a deduction - given our restrictions, a lot of clubs will look very positively at the 2 years he has had here if we don't extend his deal.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Oct 2021 09:19

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

He also has a 42.8% win rate this season in the league. So would still be a decent option for a lot of clubs. It is arguably the lack of draws costing us a better spot at the mo i.e. not lose to Blackpool or Derby and we'd be in the 21pt gang.

Strangely, if we continue like we are our record this season will be W20 D3 L23 - so 63pts without a deduction - given our restrictions, a lot of clubs will look very positively at the 2 years he has had here if we don't extend his deal.

63 would put at 11th last season, with the way the season has gone re: injuries, I'd say that was pretty good going.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2021 09:36

would take that 100%

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2021 09:42

Same. Though I'd rather fewer wins and losses and more draws to get there. Losing half your games sucks balls.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Oct 2021 10:17

Snowflake Royal Same. Though I'd rather fewer wins and losses and more draws to get there. Losing half your games sucks balls.

Of course W16 D15 L15 gets you to the same points but would "feel" like a better season, even though it isn't, than getting to the same points whilst losing half your games.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Oct 2021 12:00

Stranded
Hendo
Lower West

A few years ago Slaven Bilic was being paid something like £350,000 to manage a quite successful Croatia and even now, apart from England and a few other bigger footballing nations, I suspect salaries elsewhere are not enormous.

I would guess that managing Serbia might mean a lower salary than managing Reading and maybe he felt that if successful he would end up earning a Premier League manager's salary which for many would be life-changing.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Oct 2021 13:43

As long as Paunovic is still keeping us up this season I would take that and offer him another 2 years getting us so we are competitive this season is an achievement in itself. If he leaves I would love for Graeme Murty to be given a shot he did an admirable job at Rangers when he was caretaker, has a proper affiliation with the club and would be affordable.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Oct 2021 14:02

linkenholtroyal As long as Paunovic is still keeping us up this season I would take that and offer him another 2 years getting us so we are competitive this season is an achievement in itself.

Would say the remit should extent beyond “keeping us up”.

Our squad has holes and limitations, particularly at ST currently (and a dearth of wide players) but it should be far too strong to look at that as a target

Should be offered a contract if we start to see some consistency in results and a willingness to adapt and change to games which aren’t going well. Maybe the injured players returning will provide that different option but winning 5 games in a row to then winning 1 in 6 simply isn’t sustainable

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 29 Oct 2021 20:24

Got to say, watching QPR v Forest tonight, what a major turnaround Steve Cooper has managed at Forest.
Few weeks back Forest played exactly our style - the slow and obvious lumbering build up, no intensity, no press, no entertainment.
Now they are playing direct, fast pass and entertaining football and seem to be really enjoying their football.
The players are the same but the mentality is different and they are playing to their strengths with the freedom to play.
This is what Reading could be, the players have the skills, if only they could come out of the straight jacket imposed on them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2021 20:45

Pandoras Box Got to say, watching QPR v Forest tonight, what a major turnaround Steve Cooper has managed at Forest.
Few weeks back Forest played exactly our style - the slow and obvious lumbering build up, no intensity, no press, no entertainment.
Now they are playing direct, fast pass and entertaining football and seem to be really enjoying their football.
The players are the same but the mentality is different and they are playing to their strengths with the freedom to play.
This is what Reading could be, the players have the skills, if only they could come out of the straight jacket imposed on them.

To be fair, we weren't slow and lumbering when Hal was playing.

And I doubt we would be if we replaced Ovie even whilst Hal is out.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Oct 2021 22:30

URZZZZ
linkenholtroyal As long as Paunovic is still keeping us up this season I would take that and offer him another 2 years getting us so we are competitive this season is an achievement in itself.

Would say the remit should extent beyond “keeping us up”.

Our squad has holes and limitations, particularly at ST currently (and a dearth of wide players) but it should be far too strong to look at that as a target

Even more holes if the out of contract players decide to walk at the end of the season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Oct 2021 22:39

He replaces them....that’s how it works isn’t it?

No reason to doubt how he would fill those “holes”

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Oct 2021 06:53

AthleticoSpizz He replaces them....that’s how it works isn’t it?

This. I'm not going to worry about next season until I see what next seasons squad looks like.

We're all pretty much agreed we've made decent signings based on our restrictions so we may well do so again.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Oct 2021 09:19

Stranded

This. I'm not going to worry about next season until I see what next seasons squad looks like.

We're all pretty much agreed we've made decent signings based on our restrictions so we may well do so again.

At this stage thing the only thing we can be fairly sure about about the squad next season is that Swift will be gone.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2021 09:59

Stranded

Jury surely still out on a lot of them.

Dann has looked lost a couple of times and we're leaking like a sieve again. He's only started 3 games and two haven't been great.

Drinkwater swings between amazing and really poor. Midfield has been awful the last two as has he.

Halilivic looks good, but has started 5 games and is out injured.

TDB looks good, but has had a few poor games, as you'd expect.

Rahman looks good but the defence still leaks.

Hoilett has played a bit but is injured and not really impressed a great deal. Ok.

And by nature of the short term contract, if we're not going well in the back end of the season you could easily see them stop caring and downing tools like John, Piazon and the likes under Bri.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Oct 2021 14:30

I think he is an incredibly unlucky manger with regard the squad of sick notes he inherited. I think given the tools he could easily get us top 6. He has just never had the opportunity. The main strike force is is never fully fit and the defence just never settles because of injury. He has a lot of admirers at other clubs reading other forums because of his style. I read Boro fans saying they wanted him once Warnock had gone because he keeps the ball on the deck and like what they saw. I nearly fell out of love with him recently but he showed that he never gives up......unlike the likes of Houghton who some hilariously wanted.