Nations League & Friendlies

506 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Nations League & Friendlies

by Royal Rother » 24 Sep 2022 19:50

Zip This really is rewriting history .
The team didn't look to defend after going ahead against both Croatia and Italy. That's nonsense
Against Croatia they dominated the first half and Kane missed a sitter just before the break to make it two nil
In the second half the Croats didn't threaten but got an equaliser out of nowhere. Thereafter they edged the game and England ran out of steam.

Against Italy they were the better side for the first thirty minutes but gradually Italy worked their way back into it and equalised.
The game was then very even until the end of extra time.

Rubbish.

Italy started the 2nd half with a totally different set up and we did absolutely nothing to counter it, and got deeper and deeper.

Southgate was supine when the team needed help.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Sep 2022 23:12

Royal Rother
The team didn't look to defend after going ahead against both Croatia and Italy. That's nonsense
Against Croatia they dominated the first half and Kane missed a sitter just before the break to make it two nil
In the second half the Croats didn't threaten but got an equaliser out of nowhere. Thereafter they edged the game and England ran out of steam.

Against Italy they were the better side for the first thirty minutes but gradually Italy worked their way back into it and equalised.

Rubbish.

Italy started the 2nd half with a totally different set up and we did absolutely nothing to counter it, and got deeper and deeper.

It’s not nonsense at all. If you are so stupid that that you didn’t appreciate Italy were the best side in Euro 2021 it’s your problem and not mine. England were highly competitive in that game and gave it a good shot.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Sep 2022 06:21

bcubed
Sutekh
bcubed But its not meaningless if the result is we are now unseeded and face more difficult qualifying in future.

Good! Actually a little sick and tired of the ridiculous qualifying groups full of meaningless games where England only have to turn up. Be great to actually have games where there’s something to watch and a question over whether England might qualify or might not. There’ll be the usual raft of back doors for those that are fail to win their group as well so all shouldn’t be lost if England get stuck with the likes of Sweden and Turkey and the myriad of other nations they always struggle against. Anyway be a good kick up the arse and good practice for England as well to be playing games that matter.

Just for the record how on Earth did England, Italy and Germany all find themselves in the same Nations League group anyway :lol: that was always likely to end badly.

Maybe so but if you were responsible for the team you wouldn't choose this route would you? As well as the questions about his selection and tactical nous this adds more questions about his ability to understand the rules of competitions!

Now that I agree with as well. From the managers corner you obviously wouldn’t and perhaps I’m just trying to put a brave face on the mess he’s made. Personally I’m not a fan of Southgate and while he has achieved some great tournament finishes he’s lacked on both occasions due to what I see as a negative “safety first” attitude. Questionable squad/team selections and then tactical inabilities are now really starting to plague him and if England revert to type in Qatar I think the fickle nature of press and fans will want the next patsy (with Graham Potter currently being the obvious choice - before his star fades).

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 25 Sep 2022 09:39

Sutekh
bcubed
Sutekh
Good! Actually a little sick and tired of the ridiculous qualifying groups full of meaningless games where England only have to turn up. Be great to actually have games where there’s something to watch and a question over whether England might qualify or might not. There’ll be the usual raft of back doors for those that are fail to win their group as well so all shouldn’t be lost if England get stuck with the likes of Sweden and Turkey and the myriad of other nations they always struggle against. Anyway be a good kick up the arse and good practice for England as well to be playing games that matter.

Just for the record how on Earth did England, Italy and Germany all find themselves in the same Nations League group anyway :lol: that was always likely to end badly.

Maybe so but if you were responsible for the team you wouldn't choose this route would you? As well as the questions about his selection and tactical nous this adds more questions about his ability to understand the rules of competitions!

Now that I agree with as well. From the managers corner you obviously wouldn’t and perhaps I’m just trying to put a brave face on the mess he’s made. Personally I’m not a fan of Southgate and while he has achieved some great tournament finishes he’s lacked on both occasions due to what I see as a negative “safety first” attitude. Questionable squad/team selections and then tactical inabilities are now really starting to plague him and if England revert to type in Qatar I think the fickle nature of press and fans will want the next patsy (with Graham Potter currently being the obvious choice - before his star fades).

Yep

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Sep 2022 10:00

Zip
Royal Rother

Rubbish.

It’s not nonsense at all. If you are so stupid that that you didn’t appreciate Italy were the best side in Euro 2021 it’s your problem and not mine. England were highly competitive in that game and gave it a good shot.

Oh. Nonsense and rubbish are ok with me in a polite exchange about differing opinions.

“So stupid” :|

Sorry, that just kinda takes me out of the discussion to be honest.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Sep 2022 10:11

Royal Rother
Zip
Royal Rother
Rubbish.

Oh. Nonsense and rubbish are ok with me in a polite exchange about differing opinions.

“So stupid” :|

Sorry, that just kinda takes me out of the discussion to be honest.[/quote]

All good. "Nonsense" was just as disrespectful btw

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 25 Sep 2022 13:12

Sutekh
bcubed But its not meaningless if the result is we are now unseeded and face more difficult qualifying in future.

Especially as it’s Hungary who top that Group

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Sep 2022 14:07

And at the end of the day, we lost on penalties, which on a basic level is a 50/50 chance (I’m aware it isn’t exactly like that). Still, Southgate would have been lauded a hero for winning the Euros so are we really basing our thoughts on the ability of five players to score from twelve yards?

As you regularly see for Reading, it’s simply an agenda where people, on the whole, stay quiet in the good times before sharpening their knives during the bad times

He isn’t necessarily the man I’d want in the long term as it’s a little bit too square passing but the notion that he’s under pressure given our record in major tournaments before he arrived is ridiculous

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Sep 2022 14:14

URZZZZ

And at the end of the day, we lost on penalties, which on a basic level is a 50/50 chance (I’m aware it isn’t exactly like that). Still, Southgate would have been lauded a hero for winning the Euros so are we really basing our thoughts on the ability of five players to score from twelve yards?

As you regularly see for Reading, it’s simply an agenda where people, on the whole, stay quiet in the good times before sharpening their knives during the bad times

He isn’t necessarily the man I’d want in the long term as it’s a little bit too square passing but the notion that he’s under pressure given our record in major tournaments before he arrived is ridiculous

Fully agree

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 25 Sep 2022 21:14

Denmark France is very high quality. 2-0 Denmark, could be 4-4.

If things don’t change here, and Austria can score a winner v Croatia , France are relegated.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 25 Sep 2022 21:16

Denmark’s strikers look fantastic. France creating more chances, but wasteful.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 25 Sep 2022 21:24

Croatia 3-1 up so no relegation for France

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Sep 2022 21:53

LUX Croatia 3-1 up so no relegation for France

With tonight's results Lux were just a Turkish 87th min equaliser away from promotion.

I love how this tournament is really helping the smaller nations improve and take that improvement into qualifying.

Excellent result for the Faroese as well, beating Turkey.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 25 Sep 2022 22:23

Cannot see how Lux were one goal away from promotion?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 25 Sep 2022 23:13

LUX Cannot see how Lux were one goal away from promotion?

...not sure and it's a bit late at night for me - but I think he's referring to Yüksek's 87' leveler for the Turks at home to Lux last Thursday?
(game ended 3-3) 8)

...I s'pose you had to understand the 'timeline' there - 'With tonight's results...... ' gave me the clue - since I knew the Turks had lost tonight and Lux had won v Lithuania - it caused me to look back at the previous round of ties. :mrgreen: ?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 26 Sep 2022 06:08

Oh yes, you are correct. Blimey.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Sep 2022 07:56

Faroe Islands 2-1 Turkey

4 game unbeaten streak for the Faroes. The longest in their history.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Sep 2022 08:31

Was listening to a European football thing last week and they said in France last nights game chat build up was all centered around whether Giroud could score 2 goals and equal Henry's record. Reason being is that the belief in France is that Giroud will likely not make the final squad for the WC and so last night may well have been his final game for the national team

he didn't score last night

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Sep 2022 08:52

URZZZZ

He's been in the job for a while now, so I wouldn't be massively surprised if the World Cup ends up being his last tournament personally speaking, whether that be on performance or not (when I say performance, I mean just an "average" tournament, obviously if we win the WC then I'd anticipate he'd stay). His contract does run until 2024 however, I definitely can't see him staying beyond that point at the moment.

I can understand why he'd be under more pressure than normal in this job given the expectations behind the role. Results since the Euro's have been poor and we've been performing well below par as well, hence why we've ended being relegated in the Nations League which is very disappointing. If we have a poor World Cup, i.e. First knockout round or worse, then it might be time up.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Sep 2022 09:04

past 5 days in Turkish football:

Turkey 3-3 Luxembourg
Faroe island 2-1 Turkey

:lol:

506 posts