138 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Watford (h)

by Sutekh » 02 Jan 2023 18:03

When : Saturday 7th January 2022, 12.30pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

FA Cup time again and this time Reading have been pitted against Watford in an early kick off for international, but not UK, TV broadcast for some strange reason - Elton must be touring abroad somewhere.

As it's the FA Cup we can all be fairly confident that what will actually be masquerading as Reading and Watford first teams on Saturday won't bear too much likeness to the teams when the clubs played in the league at Vicarage Road in November so I'd expect changes for both teams. Consequently this game could go any which way but loose as previous from will be utterly irrelevant (probably not a bad thing for Watford given their 2 wins in the last 6).

Looking at the league cup games for both sides this season, as that will possibly be a bit more revealing about what to expect, fans of both could be in for a real dreadful afternoon in terms of quality as both sides crashed out at home to lower league opposition in the first round, though Reading did at least score a goal.

For Watford the team for their 2-0 loss to MK Dons was Okoye, Pollock, Troost-Ekong, Cathcart, Gaspar, Kayembe, Hungbo, Asprilla, Gosling, Bayo, Manaj so I'd be expecting something along that sort of line though both Kayembe and Gosling are currently injured which probably means a start for free agent signing Leandro Bacuna as he grows into his Watford career.

Reading's team for the Stevenage embarrassment was Bouzanis, Guinness, Abrefa, Holmes, J Clarke, Holzman, Fornah, Loum, Leavy, Tuma, Ehibhatiomhan. Currently Fornah and Clarke are injured from those that played but I'd probably expect more changes than just replacing them to produce something that looks more like a "first team" given that Watford are of a higher standard than Stevenage. Therefore I think only Bouzanis, Obi-Wan and maybe Holmes will remain from the League Cup though Abrefa, Leavy, Holzman and Ehibhatiomhan have shown some good signs that they're capable this season so may well be in the squad. Overall I’d expect Junior Hoilett, Tom Ince and Jeff Hendrick to be rested (maybe spots on the bench though) and Dann and Azeez getting starts for more game time.

Injuries remain, Watford have an injury list worse than that of Reading (7 injured) plus a suspension for Hassane Kamara to contend with while Reading are nursing 5 players (Ejaria, Fornah, Hutchinson, Moore and Tetek) though there is a possibility that Hutchinson will at last make it. Holmes is expected to be available if needed after an illness. However an overall bigger issue for the club will be if new deals for Carroll and Mbengue have not been agreed as their contracts expire this week….

If the game is drawn it will go to a replay at Vicarage Road (replays remain until the 5th round) probably on Tuesday 17th January.

Lastly, if Reading progress or Sheffield United get the better of Millwall at the Den then the home game with the Blades will be postponed and, given the last week of January is fixture free in the Championship, I would presume it would just be put back to Tuesday 31st January (but that will be confirmed by the club one way or another once the situation is clear).

Referee

Peter Bankes

Previously

26 Feb 2022 > Blackpool 4-1 Reading
25 Sep 2021 > Reading 1-0 Middlesbrough
25 Sep 2019 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Reading (League Cup)
21 Aug 2019 > West Bromwich Albion 1-1 Reading
16 Mar 2019 > Stoke City 0-0 Reading
16 Dec 2017 > Ipswich Town 2-0 Reading
25 Feb 2017 > Brighton & Hove Albion 3-0 Reading
21 Jan 2017 > Derby County 3-2 Reading
30 Jan 2016 > Reading 4-0 Walsall (FA Cup)
20 Dec 2015 > Reading 1-0 Blackburn Rovers
08 Aug 2015 > Birmingham City 2-1 Reading

Historically

This is another of the "should be but isn't" derbies. Reading v Watford is one of the most played fixtures outside of games between sides in the top division. The two clubs have been at it "hammer and tongs" with each other pretty consistently in all competitions since February 1920, which is now 120 games ago so you'd think there'd the some sort of frission between the two but for whatever reason it's just never caught on - perhaps a sign of games that are largely pretty inoffensive and unmemorable?

Reading have beaten Watford 45 times while Watford have won 49 with the gap in victories largely being down to Reading's league cup deficit against the Hornets. In cup games Reading have won 5 times while Watford have done it 8 times. In the FA Cup though it's 2 wins each (Watford winning in 1958 & 1971 and Reading in 1933 & 1964). That last cup game in 71 was a 5-0 stuffing at Vicarage Road so it would be nice to be able to get ahead again following this victory.

How to follow the game

1. Ticket up and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  6. Believe as it’s the cup, rather than the league, that you should be able to get commentary on the BBC Sports radio app

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Watford (h)

by Hound » 02 Jan 2023 18:16

Being as Watford had 11 injured for Norwich and will prob rest some more for this, really should be a good chance to progress

Get more game time for the solid fringe players we have like NGW, Dann, Long and Joao rather than play the youth hopefully

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Jan 2023 18:19

Watford picked up what looked like a couple more bad injuries today including Davis, will probably be two well below strength sides taking the field.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jan 2023 18:23

Hound Being as Watford had 11 injured for Norwich and will prob rest some more for this, really should be a good chance to progress

Get more game time for the solid fringe players we have like NGW, Dann, Long and Joao rather than play the youth hopefully

Agreed, would imagine Bouzanis plays but I’d love to see CBC given a go.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2023 18:25

windermereROYAL Watford picked up what looked like a couple more bad injuries today including Davis, will probably be two well below strength sides taking the field.

Don’t want to see us too weakened. Hopefully likes of Hutch, Ejaria maybe even Moore can get in the mix as well

Obvs rest the likes of Yiadom, Carroll, Loum and Hendrick

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Jan 2023 19:36

Yeah chance to get a bit of game time for those who might need it. NGW, Dann etc as mentioned, Azeez and Mbengue as well and maybe stick a couple of other youngsters in for good measure.

A good chance to progress though with an injury-hit Watford side.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jan 2023 21:21

Is Tetek injured again? What is it this time?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jan 2023 11:25

Zip Is Tetek injured again? What is it this time?

It’s still the same injury as far as I am aware, presume he may have had the usual Reading recovery relapse or perhaps it’s just that the management are now ultra careful in returning players to any sort of action.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2023 12:24

Hound Being as Watford had 11 injured for Norwich and will prob rest some more for this, really should be a good chance to progress

I reckon given we lost v WBA, there's a high chance NGW is immediately dropped for Rahman.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2023 12:29

Sutekh
Zip Is Tetek injured again? What is it this time?

It’s still the same injury as far as I am aware, presume he may have had the usual Reading recovery relapse or perhaps it’s just that the management are now ultra careful in returning players to any sort of action.

Got some useful insight on the last few years injury crisis from a pal at the club.

Apparently the medical team has been trying a revolutionary new treatment process that's set to take football by storm. It's called Percussive Wellness Healing and apparently involves repeatedly bashing the injured area with a nail studded baseball bat.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 Jan 2023 19:22

Moore set to start on Sat, with Dann getting more minutes

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2023 19:23

Mid Sussex Royal Moore set to start on Sat, with Dann getting more minutes

Good stuff

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 Jan 2023 19:51

Actually looking forward to this one especially as Watford have sold out their away allocation. I am not expecting a big turnout but I’d love to see 12k plus. I think I’ll always treasure the FA Cup and the first game I can remember watching on TV was the replay in the final between Chelsea and Leeds.

Good and bad memories of the competition, Blyth Spartans at home in a replay in 1972 and Arsenal at home in the same year when I think we scored all 3 goals in the 2-1 defeat. My special game will always be the 2-1 win at Anfield in 2010 but that game at home to Bradford brings back great memories too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jan 2023 08:13

Hopefully the annual FA Cup drubbing puts the return of the failures to bed.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Jan 2023 11:39

blythspartan Actually looking forward to this one especially as Watford have sold out their away allocation. I am not expecting a big turnout but I’d love to see 12k plus. I think I’ll always treasure the FA Cup and the first game I can remember watching on TV was the replay in the final between Chelsea and Leeds.

Good and bad memories of the competition, Blyth Spartans at home in a replay in 1972 and Arsenal at home in the same year when I think we scored all 3 goals in the 2-1 defeat. My special game will always be the 2-1 win at Anfield in 2010 but that game at home to Bradford brings back great memories too.

Can't be bothered to go to this. £15 tickets and lunchtime kick off vs a team we're playing again in 4 weeks in effectively a reserves game? No thanks.

I think we'll probably win though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2023 11:46

Reckon it might actually be a decent game and not a bad watch if hopefully we get a few of the injured players back for it

Kick off time massively inconvenient for me so i won’t be there to see it l though I doubt

Would be nice for something like the following but suspect a few are still injured

Bouzanis
Abrefa Dann Mbengue Moore NGW
Azeez Hutchinson Ejaria
Joao Long

CBC, ehibhatiomhan, Abbey + some others

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jan 2023 13:15

Hound Reckon it might actually be a decent game and not a bad watch if hopefully we get a few of the injured players back for it

Kick off time massively inconvenient for me so i won’t be there to see it l though I doubt

Would be nice for something like the following but suspect a few are still injured

Bouzanis
Azeez Hutchinson Ejaria
Joao Long

Would push Mbengue to RWB, Moore to CB and bring Rahman in at LCB, otherwise would go with that

Possibly Fornah in if available, not too sure about his/Ejaria’s/Hutchinson’s condition

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jan 2023 13:48

Watford are heavily traumatised by injuries and a suspension but do have to new signings to air (Ismael Kone (yes the Canadian international you can probably recall from the World Cup) and Matheus Martins (a forward very surprisingly :roll: on loan from Udinese)). Would have thought Watford have a squad size in excess of 25 players with 3+ championship (or equiv.) appearances but obviously they can’t have.

Tom Dele-Bashiru, Joao Pedro, Ken Sema, Tom Cleverley, Hamza Choudhury, Dan Gosling, Imran Louza, Edo Kayembe, Rey Manaj and Kortney Hause are all injured and Watford have doubts over Samuel Kalu, Keinan Davis and Christian Kabasele who all got knocks at Norwich and had to be subbed, while Hassane Kamara is suspended after being sent off at Millwall.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Jan 2023 14:14

Would have thought Watford have a squad size in excess of 25 players with 3+ championship (or equiv.) appearances but obviously they can’t have.

Sorry, can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic with that comment, but that rule only applied to us due to breaching FFP rules. While everyone is restricted to a 25 man squad, U21 players (not on loan at the club) don't have to be included in that 25 man squad while we had to include any U21 player with 3+ championship starts, something the likes of Dejan Tetek and maybe others fall foul of.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Jan 2023 15:11

Hound Reckon it might actually be a decent game and not a bad watch if hopefully we get a few of the injured players back for it

Bouzanis
Azeez Hutchinson Ejaria
Joao Long

Would probably put Azeez in instead of Joao possibly up top, or put him and Ejaria in the front 3 and have Hutchinson + another in midfield somewhere if the former is fit. Other than that, would be happy enough with that team.

138 posts