On this day

325 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: On this day

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Jun 2019 17:38

Done all of the play offs

Re. the Bolton game...when we didn’t kill them off with the penalty, I turned to my day-tripping wife and said “we’ll end up losing this now”

Hail the messiah Spizz...such great foresight :(

Wembley is a sh1t hole ...as is one place in Wales

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 02 Jun 2019 18:01

Well, it was a couple of days ago, rather than this day, but the ride on the bus post Huddersfield was the longest journey. Flying to Vancouver is minutes by comparison.

What a flat performance. The grey drizzle at the Mad Stad at the end said it all. Still have a big flag from that day. Somewhere.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 03 Jun 2019 09:46

Zip Without doubt my worst day as a Reading fan. It took me months to accept the defeat.

I've never really understood supporters who claim they're devastated after a defeat or cry on the telly. Reading losing has never really affected me that much; it's normally forgotten after I've left the ground.

Except the 1995 play-off final.

The only time I've ever been genuinely upset after a game. Hard to imagine now given that we are fairly well established in The Championship and have had two stints in the PL, but at the time it seemed like we were massively punching above our weight and the chance had gone forever.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Location: We should never ponder on our thoughts today cos they hold sway over time

by John Smith » 03 Jun 2019 13:17

Jerry St Clair
Zip Without doubt my worst day as a Reading fan. It took me months to accept the defeat.

I've never really understood supporters who claim they're devastated after a defeat or cry on the telly. Reading losing has never really affected me that much; it's normally forgotten after I've left the ground.

Except the 1995 play-off final.

The only time I've ever been genuinely upset after a game. Hard to imagine now given that we are fairly well established in The Championship and have had two stints in the PL, but at the time it seemed like we were massively punching above our weight and the chance had gone forever.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. However what is hard for me now is seeing Southampton, who came up with us the second time, as a well established Premier League club with an ability to replace players and managers and continue with what must be a fantastically embedded philosophy within the club as a whole. We surrendered that far too easily in both 2008 and 2013.

under the tin

by under the tin » 03 Jun 2019 13:46

John Smith I agree with this wholeheartedly. However what is hard for me now is seeing Southampton, who came up with us the second time, as a well established Premier League club with an ability to replace players and managers and continue with what must be a fantastically embedded philosophy within the club as a whole. We surrendered that far too easily in both 2008 and 2013.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, and it pains me to say this, the Red lot up the road from me (I'm at Warsash) have been a bigger outfit than us since before the early 70's, when I started going to EP. (Terry Paine, Mick Channon, 1st Division, yada yada).
In that respect, they have always been in a better position to attract wealthy backers.

What sticks in my craw are our genuine peers from those old 3rd division days like Watford, Bournemouth and Brighton who not only are making a better hash of staying in the PL, but also seem capable of attracting the sort of inward investment we can only dream about.

325 posts