MATCH REPORT: 2003/2004 Season

Reading: Ingimarsson (39 mins), Kitson (45 mins), Morgan (90 mins)
Cardiff City:
Earnshaw (42 mins), Bullock (72 mins).
Half Time: 1-2
Attendance: 14,051

DIVISION ONE 16 Mar 2004
Pos Team P Pts GD
5 West Ham 36 57 +17
6 READING 37 57 -2
7 Sunderland 34 56 +12
Reading: Ashdown, Murty, Brown, Ingimarsson, Newman, Salako (Brooker 82 mins), Sidwell, Harper, Hughes, Goater (Morgan 67 mins), Kitson. Subs not used: Murray, Savage, Young.
Cardiff City:
Margetson, Croft, Vidmar, Gabbidon, Barker, Robinson, Boland (Bullock 45 mins), Whalley, Langley, Lee, Earnshaw. Subs not used: Prior, Campbell, Gordon, Alexander.
Reading: Brown
Cardiff City:
Referee: M Warren (W Midlands)

Substitute Dean Morgan secured a 3-2 victory for the Royals last night at Cardiff City as Reading jumped back into the play-off zone with nine games of the season remaining. In a night packed with drama Reading took the lead three times with the home side pulling level twice. Two of Reading's goals came in injury time - Kitson's in first half injury time and Morgan's in the second half with ninety minutes showing on the clock. With injuries to two referees Morgan's goal came a minute into stoppage time - but there were still another eight minutes to play as Reading retained their lead. Reading started the game with a number of key players missing - Shorey and Williams out and Owusu serving his suspension. As a result Kitson started alongside Goater up front and Newman played full back with Brown returning from injury to play with Ingimarsson in the centre of defence. It was Ingimarsson that put Reading ahead with six minutes of the first half remaining after a Newman shot was saved and a Salako corner was headed home. Cardiff pulled level a couple of minutes later from the middle of the area after a bit of pressure before Kitson restored the lead with a header from a Sidwell cross. With the game taking it's toll on the supply of referees and less than twenty minutes remaining Cardiff equalised again. The match appeared to be heading to a draw when Brooker supplied the cross from the left that saw Morgan deliver the decisive header to win the game for the Royals.


What a game! There isn't much I can say to express how incredible that game was. From the first minute excitment enthralled. Reading took control early on in the game and maintained their dominance throughout. It was passionate, thrilling and gloryfying. Well done Reading.
Mike Smith

Sadly as an exiled in Wales Royal, I don't get to see as many games as I would like, but as you can imagine, this gave me a rather satisfyingly smug sense of joy! With half the first team regulars out and the Bluebirds beating Norwich at the weekend, I thought a draw would be a good result. Tremendous effort went into this win, with all the players giving 100%. Just a thought though, the (3rd) referee blew the final whistle just before Earnshaw pulled the trigger to shoot. All I can say is thank God he missed, if that had gone in, with the CCFC fans there would have been a riot, and I wouldn't have fancied our chances of leaving the ground in one piece. Why are referees such idiots? Anyway, lets hope this is the start of the real push towards another visit to Cardiff come May!
Gwent Royal

What a win! Who would have honestly predicated that result tonight with the players we had missing tonight . To win down there at Cardiff just shows how we can do it and the players deserve tremendous credit for producing such a gutsy performance in the usual intimidating atmosphere at Ninian Park . I listened to the game on Radio Berks which in itself was almost as entertaining as the game, Neil Smith and Tim Dellor were so biased, and so into the game it was so funny to listen to especially Smithy screaming out when the winner went in. Well done to them too . Ashdown and Brown sounded heroes but every Reading player deserves a big pat on the back tonight, credit where it's due....UURRZZ
Nick Newbury

What is going on? Three headed goals in a game! I can't remember three headed goals all season. My brother in law is a Cardiff season ticket holder and he says that you never know which Cardiff team is going to turn up. They were dreadful in the first half and were lucky to be 2-1 down. Harper and Sidwell ran the game and the team spirit was fantastic. The team spirit is obvious and the players that came in all did a great job,especially Ashdown with a crucial save at 2-2 just before we scored the winner.
Chris (South Wales Royal)

It was bizarre, unbelievable, exciting, but most of all entertaining, and three valuable points! Cardiff tried three different refs, intimidating Welsh music, diving players, and all the patriotism of the Third Reich, but still couldn’t wrestle a point from us. A truly professional performance epitomised by Steve Brown, who despite not even a run out in the Reserves since his injury, worked his socks off to secure the win. I thought he was a bit lucky to stay on the pitch after his outbursts, but perhaps the constant referee substitutions may have helped his cause a bit. Well done to all concerned. A brilliant night out in Blodwynland.
Kevin, Worthing Royal.

Great game- had to endure it sat in the Cardiff end..keeping quiet. Reading's spirit was terrific. 1/2 a team and CCFC on a roll from beating Norwich, i was really proud of that performance. Harper and Sidwell made the difference for us, and i thought Dean Morgan gave us some much needed life up front...Royals away support was a credit...bring on Sunderland on Saturday.
Nigel, Chippenham Royal

Got an opinion? E-Mail us at
Appropriate submissions will appear on match report pages

Quick Links:
  [Match Reports Index]   [Match Previews Index]   [Current League Table]

Link to Hob Nob Anyone? Home Page
Copyright Hob Nob Anyone? © 1994-2004

The Original Reading Football Club Internet Site