Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

1019 posts
PBR

Re: Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

by PBR » 18 Oct 2012 22:02

what does liam rosenior think about jason roberts not wearing kick it out shirt??

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 18 Oct 2012 22:21

On the DM now:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... shirt.html

I think the first comment is spot on actually.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Newsflash from Norway: Roberts on the front cover!

by Friday's Legacy » 18 Oct 2012 22:47

redscot I have never seen a Reading player on the front cover of a Norwegian newspaper. Link under:
http://fotball.aftenposten.no/england/article254342.ece

The link is on the front cover of the web-page.

Roberts is claiming he will not wear the Kick it out t-shirt for the Liverpool game. (I assume he nows he is playing.) At the end readers can comment. As I am writing this no-one has commented. Maybe someone should wake up seal hunting guy?

He'll certainly be on the bench at least, and all players wear them in the warm-up.

Carlos

by Carlos » 18 Oct 2012 22:55

Personally I think he is wrong. What more can Kick It Out do? They can't stop people having bigoted views such as Suarez and Terry. All they can do is highlight the problems, spend time and effort trying to show that everyone is agains't racism and spend money where possible to show how racism is a problem that needs to be dealt with. I honestly feel if he is to be frustrated it is against the FA, Uefa and FIFA for failing to do enough to combat such a blight on the game. To attack an organisation that is doing all it can to highlight and remove this problem seems incredibly harsh. I ask you what more can they seriously do? They cant stop Serbians having nationalistic/racist views which have dated back for decades if not centuries, and in the near past have led to horrible people such as Karadzic being sent to the Hague for war crimes. I think Roberts was out of order in targeting Kick It Out who have actually done tremendous work. A voluntary organisation such as that needs support not to be targeted for abuse.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2012 23:00

paultheroyal
Ian Royal Getting a bit fed up with Roberts, that article on the bbc makes him look like a total oxf*rd div.

For standing up for what he believes in!?

No for being a div.

What exactly does he expect Kick It Out to do? It's not the FA. It has no control over punishments or players actions. It's got sweet FA to do with Serbia. And according to him, it seems that sexism and homophobia just aren't important. I don't see him asking why there aren't more asian players in the UK either and saying the entire game, not just coaching and management is racist against them.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 18 Oct 2012 23:45

Putting aside Roberts' stance on Kick It Out. I can't believe how lilly-livered some people are on here. "It's embarrassing for the club", "it gives his employer a bad name" ... WTF? ... I mean what kind of watered-down version of life do you lead? Roberts is not a PR machine for Reading Football Club and purllleaase don't give me that nonsense about how "players need to be ambassadors for their club" nonsense. They have every right to take a stance against racism in football if that is what they wish to do...frankly, if this is the route Roberts wants to take it is none of the club's business. He was not driving a car while pissed although reading some people on here you would seem to think he had done something similar.
Also, whoever said it is "embarrassing for the club" I would really, really, really like you to explain what exactly is embarrassing about it because I'm damned if I know.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Oct 2012 00:07

Carlos Personally I think he is wrong. What more can Kick It Out do? They can't stop people having bigoted views such as Suarez and Terry. All they can do is highlight the problems, spend time and effort trying to show that everyone is agains't racism and spend money where possible to show how racism is a problem that needs to be dealt with. I honestly feel if he is to be frustrated it is against the FA, Uefa and FIFA for failing to do enough to combat such a blight on the game. To attack an organisation that is doing all it can to highlight and remove this problem seems incredibly harsh. I ask you what more can they seriously do? They cant stop Serbians having nationalistic/racist views which have dated back for decades if not centuries, and in the near past have led to horrible people such as Karadzic being sent to the Hague for war crimes. I think Roberts was out of order in targeting Kick It Out who have actually done tremendous work. A voluntary organisation such as that needs support not to be targeted for abuse.

Absolutely on the money here. Why attack the only organisation trying to address the issue?! Give them some help FFS. This is about publicity & nothing more. Unfortunately Kick it Out gets dragged through the mud & attacked in the process all because JT is a kant.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Oct 2012 00:26

Ian Royal
paultheroyal
Ian Royal Getting a bit fed up with Roberts, that article on the bbc makes him look like a total oxf*rd div.

For standing up for what he believes in!?

No for being a div.

What exactly does he expect Kick It Out to do? It's not the FA. It has no control over punishments or players actions. It's got sweet FA to do with Serbia. And according to him, it seems that sexism and homophobia just aren't important. I don't see him asking why there aren't more asian players in the UK either and saying the entire game, not just coaching and management is racist against them.

The whole John Terry business has been an utter stain on football, racism and blatant mendacity - from the Captain of England. He's also dragged in anyone who will give him an alibi, including players and Chelsea management. Roberts is making a stand because no other oxf*rd seems to think it's important. Good for him.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 19 Oct 2012 01:03

[quote="Ideal"]oxf*rd Roberts needs to get a grip on things and stop tainting RFC's reputation[/quote]

Quite possibly the dumbest comment I have ever read on this board and there's some pretty strong competition.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 19 Oct 2012 01:13

MmmMonsterMunch
Carlos Personally I think he is wrong. What more can Kick It Out do? They can't stop people having bigoted views such as Suarez and Terry. All they can do is highlight the problems, spend time and effort trying to show that everyone is agains't racism and spend money where possible to show how racism is a problem that needs to be dealt with. I honestly feel if he is to be frustrated it is against the FA, Uefa and FIFA for failing to do enough to combat such a blight on the game. To attack an organisation that is doing all it can to highlight and remove this problem seems incredibly harsh. I ask you what more can they seriously do? They cant stop Serbians having nationalistic/racist views which have dated back for decades if not centuries, and in the near past have led to horrible people such as Karadzic being sent to the Hague for war crimes. I think Roberts was out of order in targeting Kick It Out who have actually done tremendous work. A voluntary organisation such as that needs support not to be targeted for abuse.

Absolutely on the money here. Why attack the only organisation trying to address the issue?! Give them some help FFS. This is about publicity & nothing more. Unfortunately Kick it Out gets dragged through the mud & attacked in the process all because JT is a kant.

Yes, spot on from Carlos.

And to the earlier poster saying players aren't ambasadors for the club. Really?

If Roberts doesn't wear the kick it out shirt on Saturday, not only is he disrespecting them, he's making himself look like a dick and our club is smeared by association. Especially if Roberts encourages other players to join in. If I was McD Ibd put my foot down and order the Reading players to wear the kick it out shirts.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 19 Oct 2012 07:51

Ideal oxf*rd Roberts needs to get a grip on things and stop tainting RFC's reputation

with "fans " like you on board that would take some doing.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 19 Oct 2012 09:07

Handsome Man I'm proud of him.

He is an excellent ambassador for the club and makes me glad to be English.

I wish he would start scoring some goals though

Sort of important for a striker.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 19 Oct 2012 09:09

I think Roberts should stop talking and start scoring. :wink:

HTH

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 19 Oct 2012 09:22

Well I'm with him.

I won't wear the t-shirt either.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 19 Oct 2012 09:24

Racism sucks, and needs a dialogue. We're all now talking about it. Job done, well done Mr Roberts.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 19 Oct 2012 09:35

What more can KRO be doing?

Well for a start, they should be campaigning for bigotted racists like John Terry and Luis Suarez to be kicked out of football. Yes, that's right - Kicked out. That's their slogan, and they haven't stuck to it.

I maintain a view, that even if you are the most talented footballer in the world (which Terry quite clearly isn't), if you hold racist views, or try and taunt opposition players with racist abuse, then you do not deserve, and should not be allowed to play football on a professional level. John Terry was "cleared" in a court of law - purely and simply because he was able to inject the tiniest doubt in the minds of those making the judgement - his lawyers have done a job for him - but that does NOT mean that he is not a racist. Kick racism out, should have been highlighting the fact that getting away with things like that because your lawyers can twist things, DOES NOT make it alright. We all know Terry abused Ferdinand - we can all see it on the videos - the fact that legal loopholes can keep him out of prison don't mean that people can't make their own judgement - KRO should have been highlighting that as well.

Personally, I agree with Roberts - KRO has long been piggybacking its status off of the footballing world, without actually ever taking action any more decisive than "lets get all the players to wear a poxy t-shirt".

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 19 Oct 2012 09:37

phil in cornwall There is already a Roberts thread running which is where this should be.

On that basis there should only be one thread on here because everything is about Reading FC.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 19 Oct 2012 10:02

Caskeys Lovechild What more can KRO be doing?

Well for a start, they should be campaigning for bigotted racists like John Terry and Luis Suarez to be kicked out of football. Yes, that's right - Kicked out. That's their slogan, and they haven't stuck to it.

I maintain a view, that even if you are the most talented footballer in the world (which Terry quite clearly isn't), if you hold racist views, or try and taunt opposition players with racist abuse, then you do not deserve, and should not be allowed to play football on a professional level. John Terry was "cleared" in a court of law - purely and simply because he was able to inject the tiniest doubt in the minds of those making the judgement - his lawyers have done a job for him - but that does NOT mean that he is not a racist. Kick racism out, should have been highlighting the fact that getting away with things like that because your lawyers can twist things, DOES NOT make it alright. We all know Terry abused Ferdinand - we can all see it on the videos - the fact that legal loopholes can keep him out of prison don't mean that people can't make their own judgement - KRO should have been highlighting that as well.

Personally, I agree with Roberts - KRO has long been piggybacking its status off of the footballing world, without actually ever taking action any more decisive than "lets get all the players to wear a poxy t-shirt".

Spot on.

KRO is nothing more than a token toothless gesture and Roberts is right to take the stance he has taken. It is a disgrace that in the 21st century, people like Suarez and Terry are tolerated and defended by 'decent' folk like Dalglish and Hodgson.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Oct 2012 10:05

I've kept out of this debate so it may already have been covered to death but do you really believe that because JT called Ferdinand a black cnut that he is therefore a racist who should be locked up and never allowed to play the game again?

I mean, really....

I'm no supporter of JT and he deserves much of the contempt with which he is viewed but I really do fear that some people have lost all sense of perspective here.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Oct 2012 10:17

i can see roberts' point tbf

its not so much anto the kick it out campaign, as it is anti the football authorities attitudes and actions

it is massively hypocritical for football to have such a high profile campaign, and then let JT off with a tiny ban, and paltry fine, while at the same time delaying a decision so long, purely so they could include him for the euros
and the serbia nonsense is the direct responisbility of fifa, who let countries off with tiny fines, and threats that are never carried out. its not wonder, in light of this that the awful scenes we saw the other day are repeated, and the serbian authorities can just brush it off without fear of censure.

plus its a personal decision, totally up to him, he makes his feelings known as he sees fit.
good on him

1019 posts