154 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Hull City (a)

by Sutekh » 19 Apr 2022 13:45

When : Saturday 23rd April 2022, 3pm
Where : KCOM Stadium, The Circle, Walton St, Hull, HU3 6HU
Capacity 25,404

Three games left to string out the survival hopes for Barnsley and Peterborough after Tom McIntyre at last sank Derby on Monday.

It’s a trip to Hull City next who, like Reading, have really struggled this season and who would be equal 19th in the table with Reading had it not been for FFP point deductions. So expect hardly anything between the teams on the day.

For those who don’t know, after Turkish media mogul Acun Ilıcalı and his company Acun Medya completed a takeover of the club in January, Hull parted company with manager Grant McCann and he is now managing Peterborough so maybe that might give the Hull players something extra on the day given Grant was the chap who masterminded the club’s quick return to the division. The new manager at the KCOM is former Trabzonspor, Rangers and Ajax striker (around 150 goals in about 275 games for those clubs) Shota Arveladze. Thankfully he is not a player/manager.

Like Reading Hull aren’t the best at home having recorded just 6 wins from their 21 league attempts however last time out at home the Tigers beat Cardiff 2-1 so this isn’t going to be the easiest of games especially as Reading are still looking for their first win at the KCOM (or whatever it’s called these days).

Current form for the men in orange and black is 4 wins from the last 15 or 3 wins and 3 defeats in the last 6, so blowing pretty hot and cold really, while Reading in the last 6 have managed 3 wins and 2 draws so I’d expect a fairly tight game. However while the home form for the Tigers is “Readingesque” their away form indicates a team that’s rather useful having lost only once in 2022 on their travels before losing at Millwall on Monday.

Tom Eaves and George Honeyman are dangers, both are pretty useful with 5 goals apiece. Keane Lewis-Potter however is the leading scorer on 9. Thankfully though Jarrod Bowen is no longer a Hull player so that’s one less pain to have to worry about!

Hull have doubts over Mallik Wilks and Andy Cannon while Josh Emmanuel and Randell Williams are expected to miss the game. For Reading, Araruna, Dann, Swift and Rinomhota will not be able to play through injury (and 3 of them could well have played their last game for the club anyway) on the other hand Ejaria (leg) and Holmes (a bit of a fever) are both expected to be available for this the last long old trek up north this season.

But there is still the spectre of relegation to put to bed however remote you feel that may be. After Monday’s games the chances are that Reading have already done enough to cling on to the second division for at least another season but I’d rather Reading put things to bed themselves once and for all rather than relying on others contriving to ditch their own chances of survival.

This weekend may well see Barnsley join Derby in the third division well before Reading kick off as the Tykes’ game is a trip to Huddersfield on the Friday night and anything other than a Barnsley win sees the trap door finally catch up with the South Yorkshire club.

Peterborough are also on a final last straw, the challenge being a “must win to maintain a chance” game that sees high flying Nottingham Forest check into London Road in search of points themselves to make sure of their play off spot.

However, as we know, odd things can happen in football and while a win for both or even either relegation rival seems rather unlikely, it’s not an impossibility and things could chunter on into games 45 and 46 so Reading need to be awake and looking to make it all academic - plus they have a chance to catch Birmingham City and reach the incredible heights of a (false) 20th place in the table. Also it’d be good to play WBA next week without caring about the inevitable Andy Carroll winner and being able to look forward to the “who’ll be fit enough for the end of season lap of honour” competition.

Referee

Tim “here’s to you missus” Robinson

Previously

19 Jan 22 > Reading 0-2 Luton Town
18 Sep 21 Reading 3-1 Peterborough United
06 Feb 21 > Stoke City 0-0 Reading
09 Dec 20 > Reading 1-2 Birmingham City
19 Sep 20 > Reading 2-0 Barnsley
18 Jul 20 > Blackburn Rovers 4-3 Reading
07 Dec 19 > Reading 2-3 Birmingham City
06 Apr 19 > Hull City 3-1 Reading
01 Jan 19 > Reading 1-4 Swansea City
19 Sep 18 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
16 Jan 18 > Reading 3-0 Stevenage (FA Cup 3)
30 Sep 17 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
29 Apr 17 > Reading 1-0 Wigan Athletic
01 Oct 16 > Reading 1-1 Derby County
02 Feb 16 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
21 Sep 13 > Derby County 1-3 Reading

Historically

This will be the 27th league trip to Hull for Reading. The previous visits have yielded 7 wins, 10 draws and 9 defeats. There is a bit of an issue starting to develop though as Reading's last win in Hull was in 1994 at Boothferry Park which means Reading are yet to win at Hull's nice not quite so new shiny plastic spakkerdome. In the 7 visits there Reading have managed 4 draws and naff all else.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel all the way up north
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Franconian Royal

Re: MATCHWATCH : Hull City (a)

by Franconian Royal » 19 Apr 2022 13:51

Great write up as always.

I'm hoping, like all Nobbers, to put relegation fears to bed.

Would be nice to buck a rather disgusting trend at the KCOM. If we can play like we did in the last 25 minutes against Swansea, I think we'll win. Play like the 1st half against Swansea, it'll be a miserable afternoon.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Apr 2022 14:54

I haven't been to Hull's ground yet unfortunately although I'm planning on doing that journey at some stage in the near future.

We've done alright this season at bucking trends, one of the highlights of this miserable season, so hopefully we can do the same here. Hull aren't exactly one of the strongest sides in the division either so hopefully we can there and get the win that guarantees survival.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Apr 2022 15:28

Would love us to try extend that gap against the relegated teams not only just survive. Especially if we can catch the Brummies. Hull probably unreachable at this point.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 19 Apr 2022 15:50

If Barnsley lose away to Huddersfield on Friday night, they relegate themselves. Nice start to the weekend.

P'boro are at home to Forest on Saturday.

Should be a great weekend 8)

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 19 Apr 2022 16:32

Barnsley are down if they draw at Huddersfield.

Peterboro can draw at home to Forest and still survive, but would have to turn around a significant goal difference.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Apr 2022 17:06

TiagoIlori Would love us to try extend that gap against the relegated teams not only just survive. Especially if we can catch the Brummies. Hull probably unreachable at this point.

Beat them and it's 3 from 2 required isn't it?

Doable, but tough.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Apr 2022 17:40

Snowflake Royal
TiagoIlori Would love us to try extend that gap against the relegated teams not only just survive. Especially if we can catch the Brummies. Hull probably unreachable at this point.

Doable, but tough.

4 due to goal difference so would involve drawing at Luton away minimum. We do have form for ruining playoff hopes though :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Apr 2022 17:49

TiagoIlori
Snowflake Royal

Doable, but tough.

4 due to goal difference so would involve drawing at Luton away minimum. We do have form for ruining playoff hopes though :lol:

Yeah, I guess at most it requires Hull to get no more than 1 point from their last 3, and us not lose.

Definitely more likely than anyone catching us imo.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Apr 2022 20:08

Snowflake Royal
TiagoIlori
Snowflake Royal Beat them and it's 3 from 2 required isn't it?

Doable, but tough.

Yeah, I guess at most it requires Hull to get no more than 1 point from their last 3, and us not lose.

Definitely more likely than anyone catching us imo.

I’d like to think so. If Peterborough or Barnsley survive then that will go down as possibly the greatest ever championship era great escape.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Apr 2022 23:25

LUX Barnsley are down if they draw at Huddersfield.

Peterboro can draw at home to Forest and still survive, but would have to turn around a significant goal difference.

Only 17 goals over 3 games.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Apr 2022 09:08

Yeah I don't think we will catch Hull, they aren't exactly in poor form themselves for their position either really, can see them getting a win in their last 3 games or I can't see us getting enough points to catch them.

Birmingham we could definitely finish above though, no reason as to why we can't as they are in free fall. Shows the problems they've got at their club because they don't have a half bad squad on the surface.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2022 09:19

TiagoIlori
Snowflake Royal

Doable, but tough.

Luton will probably have already confirmed their play-off spot before then - a win on Saturday would need Millwall or Boro to win all their games and Luton lose both.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Apr 2022 09:19

If we don't secure safety this weekend I'll probably start getting a bit jittery again as we're only 1 game away from it going to the final day.

But I do think it will be decided this weekend.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Apr 2022 10:10

tidus_mi2 If we don't secure safety this weekend I'll probably start getting a bit jittery again as we're only 1 game away from it going to the final day.

Yep I am much more confident now. Obviously Huddersfield’s lengthy injury list gives Barnsley a sniff but they are such a poor side that they still won’t win.
Forest can still finish second so will go all out for it v Posh.
Besides we can beat Hull.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Apr 2022 12:05

Zip
tidus_mi2 If we don't secure safety this weekend I'll probably start getting a bit jittery again as we're only 1 game away from it going to the final day.

Yep I am much more confident now. Obviously Huddersfield’s lengthy injury list gives Barnsley a sniff but they are such a poor side that they still won’t win.
Forest can still finish second so will go all out for it v Posh.
Besides we can beat Hull.

Yeah it's pretty straightforward from here on out I think, just win on Saturday and have done with it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Apr 2022 17:55

I’ll be amazed if Forest lose to Peterborough

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Apr 2022 18:41

Hound I’ll be amazed if Forest lose to Peterborough

They still have automatic promotion to go for. Think there will be lots of goals in this one as Posh have to go for it too.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Apr 2022 14:01

Unchanged by the look of things… Ejaria back on bench. No Holmes still.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Apr 2022 14:05

And for those that know the oppo…

154 posts