MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a)

236 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a)

by Zip » 24 Aug 2022 13:02

Snowflake Royal
Zip If Sarr is available does he start? We know all about Millwall's aerial threat so this would be the ideal game for him to play but who gets dropped?

I'd say no, barring injury personally.

If you bring him in, you have to drop one of:
Holmes - best CB so far probably
Hutchinson - only just introduced him, or
McIntyre - one duff performance v Rovrum.

Or move McIntyre to LWB and drop Hoilett. I don’t think McIntyre has the pace to get up and down the line enough at LWB nor the attacking prowess. And Hoilett has been performing well. Not to mention you still have NGW to come back who should probably be first choice LWB right now if fit.

Or you could move McIntyre into midfield, but then you're putting square pegs in round holes and dropping Loum or Fornah, which seems daft. Or Hendrick and pushing Loum forward, still not particularly clever imo.

Fully understand your logic but we know all about Jake Cooper’s aerial threat so for this specific game I would make a change and bring him in for Hutchinson who could then come on in the second half. Hutchinson has only just come back from injury too.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Aug 2022 13:23

Absolutely 100% yes put Sarr in for either Holmes or TMac, if he's match fit.

These boys are okay but nothing special yet. Sarr would walk into this team.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Aug 2022 13:29

Millsy Absolutely 100% yes put Sarr in for either Holmes or TMac, if he's match fit.

Yeah, lets drop 1 of 2 players who have been part of a backline that have kept 2 consecutive clean sheets, that'll do wonders for their confidence and development. Good one.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Aug 2022 13:41

Hendo
Millsy Absolutely 100% yes put Sarr in for either Holmes or TMac, if he's match fit.

Yeah, lets drop 1 of 2 players who have been part of a backline that have kept 2 consecutive clean sheets, that'll do wonders for their confidence and development. Good one.

I would keep them in but we do need to combat Millwall's aerial threat. Sarr would be the best option so would drop Hutchinson to the bench with a view to bringing him on in the second half

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Aug 2022 13:44

Personally I would keep either Sarr or Hutchinson on the bench. Millwall have a siege mentality and having one of those to come on towards the latter stages either to shore up or bunker down is a huge boost.
With all due respect to Holmes or Tmac they wouldn't fill me with confidence if they come on while we are clinging on to a lead / clean sheet.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Aug 2022 13:53

Zip
Hendo

I would keep them in but we do need to combat Millwall's aerial threat. Sarr would be the best option so would drop Hutchinson to the bench with a view to bringing him on in the second half

Exactly, clean sheets are a joint effort and it's not like we've had the same back 4/5 for each clean sheet is it? And didn't the same defence get absolutely shredded just beforehand (leaving Lumley exposed) in a humiliating 4-0 thrashing, and was it not leaking goals in the first few minutes of every game?

But also see your point Hendo re: confidence that's true. I like our own lads, it's just that the couple of clean sheets against (albeit with different lineups each time and against toothless awful teams) aside, our defence has generally continued to be dodgy since last season.

With the way Millwall play I think it'd be naive to leave Sarr out in favour of defenders who have been generally dodgy/ a work in progress.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Aug 2022 13:57

If Sarr is available for the game he’s probably either going to get half hour as a sub or an hour if he starts given he’s not played since last season.

Also there will be 1 minutes applause before kick off in memory of the Millwall chief scout, Bob Pearson.

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2022/ ... t-reading/

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Aug 2022 13:59

Well yeah he'd never get a full game anyway

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2022 14:27

Hendo

Is Millsy talking about a different Sarr, because I thought our one played a bit part for Huddersfield last season, narrowly avoided relegation with them as a mainstay the one before, and got relegated from the division with Charlton the one before that.

From what Millsy is saying I'm assuming this new guy is some sort of mainstay in regular promotion chasers or is coming from a top flight side.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Aug 2022 14:35

Snowflake Royal
Hendo

Is Millsy talking about a different Sarr, because I thought our one played a bit part for Huddersfield last season, narrowly avoided relegation with them as a mainstay the one before, and got relegated from the division with Charlton the one before that.

From what Millsy is saying I'm assuming this new guy is some sort of mainstay in regular promotion chasers or is coming from a top flight side.

Nah he's just a big bloke who might be useful against the wall and I can't say much for our defenders who have been part t of what is generally renowned as one of the worst defences in the championship until the last two clean sheets. But you're right he may be big but shite. A Gravenberch type signing. So wishful thinking on my part I admit!

Won't matter much anyway as he's unlikely to be match fit for a whole game.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2022 16:46

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Hendo

Nah he's just a big bloke who might be useful against the wall and I can't say much for our defenders who have been part t of what is generally renowned as one of the worst defences in the championship until the last two clean sheets. But you're right he may be big but shite. A Gravenberch type signing. So wishful thinking on my part I admit!

A defence that hasn't been relegated from the Championship (except Yiadom for Barnsley) :wink:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Aug 2022 16:52

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal Is Millsy talking about a different Sarr, because I thought our one played a bit part for Huddersfield last season, narrowly avoided relegation with them as a mainstay the one before, and got relegated from the division with Charlton the one before that.

A defence that hasn't been relegated from the Championship (except Yiadom for Barnsley) :wink:

(And Hutchinson from Sheffield Wednesday)...

(Sarr from Charlton*)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Aug 2022 16:59

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal Is Millsy talking about a different Sarr, because I thought our one played a bit part for Huddersfield last season, narrowly avoided relegation with them as a mainstay the one before, and got relegated from the division with Charlton the one before that.

Not sure if you're joking...

You are aware that the Derby points deductions decided that, not an excellent defence? WIthout deductions for Derby (and even for us) that was technically a relegation season for us. GD -33, shockingly bad. We were joint top of the leagues for goals conceded - no one conceded more than us, almost 2 goals per game! So yes absolutely Holmes and TMac can hold their heads up high as being at the heart of a relegation defence, worst in the league. Of course other players and circumstances were involved but those are the facts.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2022 17:21

Millsy
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

You are aware that the Derby points deductions decided that, not an excellent defence? WIthout deductions for Derby (and even for us) that was technically a relegation season for us. GD -33, shockingly bad. We were joint top of the leagues for goals conceded - no one conceded more than us, almost 2 goals per game! So yes absolutely Holmes and TMac can hold their heads up high as being at the heart of a relegation defence, worst in the league. Of course other players and circumstances were involved but those are the facts.

Not sure if you're joking, if we don’t get relegated, we haven't beenn relegated. No ifs, buts or maybes. Holmes and McIntyre haven't played in a relegated defence.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Aug 2022 17:22

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Snowflake Royal A defence that hasn't been relegated from the Championship (except Yiadom for Barnsley) :wink:

Not sure if you're joking, if we don’t get relegated, we haven't beenn relegated. No ifs, buts or maybes. Holmes and McIntyre haven't played in a relegated defence.

Head <--> brick wall.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2022 17:24

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Millsy

(Sarr from Charlton*)

Good catch on Hutch, was he a midfielder at the time though?

Sarr isn't in our defence yet, and I did include he was relegated with Charlton in the earlier post I made.

We do have a bit of a collection of relegatees in defence, don't we... :?

Could make an entire back 4.

Yiadom, Hutchinson, Sarr, NGW (L1)

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 24 Aug 2022 18:04

Most important selection decision I assume has already been made - 1st outing for the new away kit

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 24 Aug 2022 19:26

Lose 3-1

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Aug 2022 19:42

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal A defence that hasn't been relegated from the Championship (except Yiadom for Barnsley) :wink:

(Sarr from Charlton*)

Good catch on Hutch, was he a midfielder at the time though?

Sarr isn't in our defence yet, and I did include he was relegated with Charlton in the earlier post I made.

We do have a bit of a collection of relegatees in defence, don't we... :?

Could make an entire back 4.

Yiadom, Hutchinson, Sarr, NGW (L1)

Yeah I know that's why I put the asterisk next to Sarr but yeah I think Hutchinson did play in midfield at the time.

Our defence isn't exactly stellar but it's certainly not one that should be going down despite history suggesting otherwise for some players.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Aug 2022 00:08

Got to get behind the boys today. Actually gutted I am in top tier than bottom. Imagine if we get the win tomorrow, sit in top 2 averaging 2 points a game. Confidence that will give the team and how it will piss off the rest of the league.

Come on boys, let’s do this!

236 posts