Fixtures 23/24

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Fixtures 23/24

by Stranded » 22 Jun 2023 09:36

YorkshireRoyal99
Rusty royal Who comes up with these fixture? Saturday 3rd Feb away at Oxford, OK no problem) then Tue 13th Feb away at Fleetwood :roll: Not that I will be attending but not nice for traveling supporters. surely those the other way round would have been better, at least away to Carlisle is on a Saturday.

They tend to do this with fixtures. They know that Fleetwood won't travel well to us on a midweek or weekend (likely vice versa) but they know that Oxford have a better chance of selling out/having a better following on a weekend than a midweek, also we will probably have a larger crowd for a home weekend fixture rather than midweek. Bumps the crowds up for more local fixtures.

Yep this - the fixtures do tend to try and put games that will attract bigger crowds on a weekend and those where away fans are likely to be small on a midweek. Police often prefer that as well - managing crowds for the Oxford games will be easier on a Saturday than a Tuesday night.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jun 2023 09:38

Brum Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Rusty royal Who comes up with these fixture? Saturday 3rd Feb away at Oxford, OK no problem) then Tue 13th Feb away at Fleetwood :roll: Not that I will be attending but not nice for traveling supporters. surely those the other way round would have been better, at least away to Carlisle is on a Saturday.

They tend to do this with fixtures. They know that Fleetwood won't travel well to us on a midweek or weekend (likely vice versa) but they know that Oxford have a better chance of selling out/having a better following on a weekend than a midweek, also we will probably have a larger crowd for a home weekend fixture rather than midweek. Bumps the crowds up for more local fixtures.

Fleetwood away also in half term (for my lad's school) which may help for those who want a trip away to the northwest coast in that week

"Great news son, it is half term and as a treat I am going to take you to Fleetwood to watch Reading play on a Tuesday night"

Think that might fall under the child abuse umbrella.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jun 2023 09:41

Positives of the fixture list:

- No international breaks
- Only 6 scheduled League midweek games - which given our record playing midweek is a definite bonus.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 22 Jun 2023 09:42

[quote="YorkshireRoyal99"
They tend to do this with fixtures. They know that Fleetwood won't travel well to us on a midweek or weekend (likely vice versa) but they know that Oxford have a better chance of selling out/having a better following on a weekend than a midweek, also we will probably have a larger crowd for a home weekend fixture rather than midweek. Bumps the crowds up for more local fixtures.[/quote]

Christmas and Easter fixtures were always local derbies to attract fans that would be at home and go to a game (also because of usual travel restriction over those periods) a Boxing day fixture at Peterborough with no public transport (then again who uses it these days :lol: ) when Oxford is just down the road plus Bolton away on Easter Monday, when Wycombe are just down the road seems crazy to me

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Jun 2023 09:43

Stranded Positives of the fixture list:

- Only 6 scheduled League midweek games - which given our record playing midweek is a definite bonus.

This isn't strictly true is it? If we or our opposition have 3 or more call ups doesn't the game get postponed?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Jun 2023 09:46

NathStPaul

This isn't strictly true is it? If we or our opposition have 3 or more call ups doesn't the game get postponed?

Yes!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Jun 2023 09:50

Fixture list has worked out very well for the away days. Every decent one is on a Saturday with the exception of Fleetwood but you can’t have them all.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 Jun 2023 09:50

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99

Yep this - the fixtures do tend to try and put games that will attract bigger crowds on a weekend and those where away fans are likely to be small on a midweek. Police often prefer that as well - managing crowds for the Oxford games will be easier on a Saturday than a Tuesday night.

A few years ago, the clubs themselves voted that in as a policy. They want to keep Saturdays for local matches where they can maximise crowds, and keep evening for the matches that will be less well-attended.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 22 Jun 2023 09:52

NathStPaul
Brum Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Fleetwood away also in half term (for my lad's school) which may help for those who want a trip away to the northwest coast in that week

"Great news son, it is half term and as a treat I am going to take you to Fleetwood to watch Reading play on a Tuesday night"

Think that might fall under the child abuse umbrella.

It actually works quite well for me as my in laws are near Preston, plus he's a bit young for going yet, so no child abuse report required!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Jun 2023 10:01

Port Vale away first up!

Shame I'm on holiday when we play Exeter away, that'd have been a good one by train to do. Happy Oxford isn't Boxing Day or midweek!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jun 2023 10:04

Rusty royal [quote="YorkshireRoyal99"

Christmas and Easter fixtures were always local derbies to attract fans that would be at home and go to a game (also because of usual travel restriction over those periods) a Boxing day fixture at Peterborough with no public transport (then again who uses it these days :lol: ) when Oxford is just down the road plus Bolton away on Easter Monday, when Wycombe are just down the road seems crazy to me[/quote]

I haven't seen all the fixtures yet but obviously it depends who other teams play on that day. I do think they try and arrange as many fixtures as possible to be fairly close on those days due to travel arrangements. We may just have been one of the unlucky ones who got a long away journey, but Peterborough isn't a bad journey from Reading on Boxing Day. Not sure what the rest of the fixtures look like on those dates though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Jun 2023 10:20

NathStPaul

One of those international breaks coincide with the Oxford (H) game - chance that will get moved if so

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jun 2023 10:30

NathStPaul

Yes that is correct, I should have said no scheduled international break.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Jun 2023 10:32

Home games still scheduled for 8pm :(

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Jun 2023 10:33

Nice of them to schedule Stevenage for the day of the third round of the FA Cup so it will still feel like we're playing in the third round of the FA cup

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jun 2023 10:43

RG30 Home games still scheduled for 8pm :(

Can't ever see that changing and for someone who doesn't live in the RG postcode anymore, I'm quite glad for the little bit of extra time to get to games after work!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 22 Jun 2023 10:56

Silver Fox Nice of them to schedule Stevenage for the day of the third round of the FA Cup so it will still feel like we're playing in the third round of the FA cup

History suggests we’ll get knocked out in the 2nd Round by York

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Jun 2023 11:02

I'm home for a week from Sunday 29th October - Sunday 5th November. No fixtures :| :cry:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Jun 2023 11:03

Hendo

Can't ever see that changing and for someone who doesn't live in the RG postcode anymore, I'm quite glad for the little bit of extra time to get to games after work!

yeah this. Where do you park?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jun 2023 11:26

leon
Hendo

yeah this. Where do you park?

Usually just park at Mereoak and walk from there, easiest to shoot off from there back towards M3.

Yourself?