590 posts
LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Selles In

by LightwaterRoyal » 08 Feb 2024 15:02

St Pauli
LightwaterRoyal
St Pauli
When you work in these exotic locations are you providing security with your Royal Marine training?

Do you get to carry a gun? If so, what gun?

What wars have you fought in?

Have you thought about going to Ukraine to fight?

What is the coolest bit of mercenary army merchandise you have seen? Is it the Wagner Group backgammon set?

As a mercenary do you often listen to the song 'Roland the Thompson gunner' by Warren Zevon?

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near that cool. I'm a commercial diver now and work on oil and gas platforms

OK but you must have fought in some wars right? I mean we've got involved in a fair few in the last 30 years. We love it!

I find it quite uncouth to speak about, all I'll say is imagine an away day in Grimsby but the locals are slightly more educated and its really hot

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 Feb 2024 15:04

LightwaterRoyal
Brogue
LightwaterRoyal
I was born in Frimley in Surrey and my parents moved to Spain soon after.

Neither of them cared for football at all so I never got pushed into supporting any club. Saw Leroy Lita score an overhead kick on the Coca Cola league highlights show when I was about 9 years old and just randomly started to follow Reading.

I went back to the UK for 7 years when I joined the Royal Marines but am now back in Spain since leaving.

Went to the Armed Forces Careers Office in Reading and had my fitness tests at the Nuffield Health Center by The Madejski.

wow, have you ever seen us play live? if not any plans too?

Unbfortunately not yet. I had hoped to while in the UK but unfortunately I was earning very little and based and hour west of Glasgow so it never really happened.
Since then I've been working offshore in Nigeria, Thailand and Bangladesh so struggling to find the time but I have every intention of getting across to a game before we Dai. I actually live really close to La Nucia where we had our preseason but I was working in Port Harcourt and missed them.

What are your Top three tourism recommendations for Port Harcourt?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Feb 2024 15:07

WestYorksRoyal I think the amount of fans who always believed in him will soon be on a par with the amount who saw Friday's goal against Tranmere.

Tbf, when he was appointed, Stranded and I were about the only people to say that, given his CV, there's evidence to suggest he might not be a complete disaster.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Feb 2024 15:30

From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal I think the amount of fans who always believed in him will soon be on a par with the amount who saw Friday's goal against Tranmere.

Tbf, when he was appointed, Stranded and I were about the only people to say that, given his CV, there's evidence to suggest he might not be a complete disaster.

Stranded would look for the positive if a dog shit on his face... and fair oxf*rd to him for it.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Feb 2024 15:45

From Despair To Where?

I said so too, before admitting I was wrong in October and now having to admit I was wrong again.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Feb 2024 15:53

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?

Stranded would look for the positive if a dog shit on his face... and fair oxf*rd to him for it.

Did Stranded manage to say something positive about 10 Bob? Talking about that twat has he finally oxf*rd off.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Feb 2024 15:58

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?

Did Stranded manage to say something positive about 10 Bob? Talking about that twat has he finally oxf*rd off.

Ian likes to paint me as overly positive. I'm not, I just like to look at why decisions were likely made and look beyond just oh his record at Soton was shit, so he's shit. Never get anywhere just looking at the surface of things. Wouldn't have been upset if he had been fired back in November but glad he seems to be coming good.

As for 10 Bob - clearly a tw*t.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Feb 2024 16:13

Stranded
blythspartan
Snowflake Royal Stranded would look for the positive if a dog shit on his face... and fair oxf*rd to him for it.

Ian likes to paint me as overly positive. I'm not, I just like to look at why decisions were likely made and look beyond just oh his record at Soton was shit, so he's shit. Never get anywhere just looking at the surface of things. Wouldn't have been upset if he had been fired back in November but glad he seems to be coming good.

That was my take as well, really. The general consensus was that his appointment made no sense whereas his experience suggested that he was strong in areas that we had been particularly weak in for a number of years.

I think a lot were still smarting from Wilder and any appointment was going to be a letdown. Don't get me wrong, in different circumstances, he wouldn't gave made it past November but I don't believe in dismissing an appointment before a ball has been kicked in anger.

Anyway, Ten Bob hasn't posted for a week. Fingers crossed, the penny's dropped.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Feb 2024 16:43

From Despair To Where?
Stranded
blythspartan

That was my take as well, really. The general consensus was that his appointment made no sense whereas his experience suggested that he was strong in areas that we had been particularly weak in for a number of years.

I think a lot were still smarting from Wilder and any appointment was going to be a letdown. Don't get me wrong, in different circumstances, he wouldn't gave made it past November but I don't believe in dismissing an appointment before a ball has been kicked in anger.

Anyway, Ten Bob hasn't posted for a week. Fingers crossed, the penny's dropped.

Vaguely remember saying something similar myself. Something along the lines of perhaps starting a clean slate with an upcoming manager may not be the worst idea rather than a manager who’s spent the last few years losing the majority of his matches at Sheffield and Middlesbrough

Did think his time here was massively up after the ridiculous formation he was trying to use but fair play for changing it. We’ve been a different side since Fleetwood’s last minute winner which likely prompted the change (bar a 10 minute spell against Pompey and some awful subs against Shrewsbury)

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 08 Feb 2024 17:19

From Despair To Where?

I would have said it too, but I wasn't posting on the team board then as I didn't realise how easy it was to get big number threads with minimal input.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 09 Feb 2024 01:20

LightwaterRoyal
St Pauli
LightwaterRoyal
Unfortunately I'm nowhere near that cool. I'm a commercial diver now and work on oil and gas platforms

OK but you must have fought in some wars right? I mean we've got involved in a fair few in the last 30 years. We love it!

I find it quite uncouth to speak about, all I'll say is imagine an away day in Grimsby but the locals are slightly more educated and its really hot

All he really wants to know if you ever popped some fool.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 09 Feb 2024 01:28

I know I digress but ah mate, what a goal. And what a maverick as well. One of Reading's finest. I used to watch him saunter past my place on his way to Elm Park. He didn't have a care in the world. Locks flowing accompanied by that bandy gait of his. As soon as he trotted on to the hallowed turf though, the bloke was a magician with a football. A magic that it was my privilege to witness.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 Feb 2024 07:37

The Cap

I know I digress but ah mate, what a goal. And what a maverick as well. One of Reading's finest. I used to watch him saunter past my place on his way to Elm Park. He didn't have a care in the world. Locks flowing accompanied by that bandy gait of his. As soon as he trotted on to the hallowed turf though, the bloke was a magician with a football. A magic that it was my privilege to witness.

Are they still making a film about him. ‘The greatest player you never saw’ or something like that

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Feb 2024 08:04

Brogue
The Cap

Are they still making a film about him. ‘The greatest player you never saw’ or something like that

No idea - about 10 years ago they had got as far as casting someone to play him and there is a page on IMDB for a film called "Friday" but it never seems to have got off the ground.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 09 Feb 2024 08:25

Stranded
Brogue
The Cap

No idea - about 10 years ago they had got as far as casting someone to play him and there is a page on IMDB for a film called "Friday" but it never seems to have got off the ground.

As far as I'm aware that's correct. When I spoke to his ex, Lisa, a few months ago, she pretty much reiterated what's been written here.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Feb 2024 08:51

From Despair To Where?

I never really understood the argument of "shit with Southampton in the PL, so why would he be any better for us?" We are operating at completely different levels, different circumstances, different players etc.

I always like to be optimistic when we appoint a manager to see what they can potentially bring to us, rather than looking at how they previously failed at other clubs. Failing at one place doesn't mean you fail everywhere.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2024 10:23

You're definitely right you didn’t understand from.that post tbf.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Feb 2024 10:26

Snowflake Royal You're definitely right you didn’t understand from.that post tbf.

Obviously not as it was a poor argument to make.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2024 10:36

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal You're definitely right you didn’t understand from.that post tbf.

It certainly is when you strawman it like that.

But it's not hard to see the quite good reasoning to expect a failure from an inexperienced manager, with an atrocious losing record in the few games he has managed, stepping into a club in crisis, at a level he has no playing, coaching or management experience, after a cavalcade of similar appointments have all failed.

There's really not a lot that's hard to understand. Even the others who disagreed understood it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Feb 2024 10:41

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

It certainly is when you strawman it like that.

But it's not hard to see the quite good reasoning to expect a failure from an inexperienced manager, with an atrocious losing record in the few games he has managed, stepping into a club in crisis, at a level he has no playing, coaching or management experience, after a cavalcade of similar appointments have all failed.

There's really not a lot that's hard to understand. Even the others who disagreed understood it.

Ok fair enough, I never really agreed with it then, just thought it was a poor argument to make personally when it's a completely different set of circumstances. Again though, it's probably from the belief that I want every manager to succeed (or don't expect them to fail) when they come in through whatever previous experience they've got and whatever situation we are in. I suppose it also depends what you think success looks like as well. E.g. At the moment, he looks like he's being successful due to our current circumstance, however that all changes with (hopefully) new and stable ownership.

590 posts