Confimred - Joel Pereira

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Confimred - Joel Pereira

by morganb » 09 Sep 2023 12:04

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/s ... he-royals/

GOALKEEPER PENS DEAL AT THE SELECT CAR LEASING STADIUM
We are very pleased to announce that goalkeeper Joel Pereira has signed terms with Reading Football Club, joining on an initial one-year contract with an option for a further year.

The 27-year-old stopper, a graduate of Manchester United’s academy, becomes the new recruit to our first-team squad, subject to the usual ratification processes from the relevant governing bodies and international clearance.

Born in Switzerland to Portuguese parents, it was his performances at youth level with Neuchâtel Xamax that convinced the Red Devils to bring him to England at the age of 16 in 2012.
Mark Bowen, Head of Football Operations for the Royals, said: “Our aim during this summer’s rebuilding process has been to create strength in depth across all areas of the pitch. Joel’s recruitment gives us another option in the goalkeeping department, and during his time training with the team, he has shown a desire to work hard to meet our high standards and to push the other goalkeepers for that starting spot.”

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Confimred - Joel Pereira

by Clyde1998 » 09 Sep 2023 12:41

Two questions which will no doubt be answered in due course:
  1. Is there a serious chance of Pereira becoming the first choice keeper or will he be our back up?
  2. What does this mean for CBC; is he likely to go on loan somewhere?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Sep 2023 16:23

Yes and maybe in Jan.

Most squads will want 3 senior goalies, CBC will be classed as one of those alongside Pereira and Button.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Sep 2023 17:25

Bringing in a new player 4 days before the 125% deadline can only be encouraging news.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 09 Sep 2023 17:48

Joel is a popular lad on the Scottish Football reddit page. Really rated highly.

The man responsible for Hearts getting relegated

Strengthened? On par with using balloons to stop flooding.

He is decent with the ball at his feet. His only downfall is saving shots, stopping shots and catching the ball. He also has a cool feature where where he makes himself the size of a toddler when faced with a one on one situation.

This man has 1 whole appearance for Manchester United. I wish I was that successfully shit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Sep 2023 17:58

Stranded Yes and maybe in Jan.

Most squads will want 3 senior goalies, CBC will be classed as one of those alongside Pereira and Button.

No and no.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Sep 2023 18:47

Orion1871 Joel is a popular lad on the Scottish Football reddit page. Really rated highly.

He is decent with the ball at his feet. His only downfall is saving shots, stopping shots and catching the ball. He also has a cool feature where where he makes himself the size of a toddler when faced with a one on one situation.

This man has 1 whole appearance for Manchester United. I wish I was that successfully shit.

He does at least have enough self awareness to admit he was shite at Hearts.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Sep 2023 19:24

windermereROYAL Bringing in a new player 4 days before the 125% deadline can only be encouraging news.

Not as encouraging news as Dai selling up

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Sep 2023 20:06

Orion1871 Joel is a popular lad on the Scottish Football reddit page. Really rated highly.

Decent with the ball at his feet and has played at the highest level.

Sounds good thanks.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Sep 2023 22:32

Snowflake Royal

No and no.

Not saying you have to like it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Sep 2023 08:38

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

No and no.

Nothing to do wth like. He won't become No 1 and CBC won't go on loan in Jan

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 10 Sep 2023 19:11

I have him on sorare :lol:

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 10 Sep 2023 21:15

Oh No.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Sep 2023 08:33

Clyde1998 Two questions which will no doubt be answered in due course:
  1. Is there a serious chance of Pereira becoming the first choice keeper or will he be our back up?

1. Probably not. Quite happy with Button personally and can only see Pereira being a squad option, might allow CBC game time with U21's.
2. Possibly - although might still be the above. A loan deal for half a season in the football league with game time, would be good I think.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Sep 2023 08:35

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal No and no.

Ah sorry, makes more sense now.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Apr 2024 23:07

Clyde1998 Two questions which will no doubt be answered in due course:

I guess there was a serious chance :-)

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 10 Apr 2024 23:14

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal No and no.

Oof ian sticking his neck out there looks like he’s Got a very good chance of being our number one now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Apr 2024 08:38

Brogue
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Oof ian sticking his neck out there looks like he’s Got a very good chance of being our number one now.

I'll take half right.

He's done surprisingly well to come in and take his chance from his history. Very pleased.

It is still only six appearances though, and not long ago people were singing Button's praises.

We'll see what happens in the summer.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Apr 2024 13:30

It’s hard to guess what happens so sticking a neck out is fine. I didn’t think Pereira was up for it either even if I didn’t say so, and happy to admit looks like I got it wrong too on recent performances . Was never a huge fan of Button either tbh. But truth is I don’t think any of them are really up to the standard of what we need long term to get into the champ and stay there but at least Pereira is young and has a chance to progress into that.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 17 Apr 2024 14:12

Millsy It’s hard to guess what happens so sticking a neck out is fine. I didn’t think Pereira was up for it either even if I didn’t say so, and happy to admit looks like I got it wrong too on recent performances . Was never a huge fan of Button either tbh. But truth is I don’t think any of them are really up to the standard of what we need long term to get into the champ and stay there but at least Pereira is young and has a chance to progress into that.

He'll be 28 at the start of next season - so probably has four or five years left. Button is 35 and likely to be on his final playing contract.

I think both have been fine this season. Button has obviously made some big mistakes, especially early in the season, but has usually been solid between the sticks. Pereira is clearly a good shot stopper, but I'm less convinced about his ability to command the defence and distribute the ball compared to Button. I think they both balance out to be roughly the same ability.

Now we're safe, I wouldn't be surprised if CBC starts at least one of the final two games - especially if Pereira is unavailable for Saturday (I think it's unlikely, but possible if he was taken off due to a potential concussion).

If we decide to keep Pereira, I think he'll be first choice next season. Button will slot into more of a coaching/support role. I think the only realistic scenario don't trigger the Pereira deal if the club believe there's a better goalkeeper they can get out of those who's contracts are expiring. I know he's older than Pereira, but Alex McCarthy's contract expires at Southampton in the summer and he's been the back up all season. I wonder if he could be convinced to have a season back here, which would allow CBC to go out on loan to get regular football and be assessed for the following season.