TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

3424 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2024 21:04

From Despair To Where? I don't know whether it was more civil back then or people are just more prepared to call shit out now. That Spacey "gaylord" comment being a case in point. I think if someone posted that now, plenty would tell him to fcuk off with the homophobia. I also remember SROT being an obnoxious bunch of pcunts when they wanted to be and rendering this place unreadable at times.

I think there's a few factors contributing.

Last decade has been shit football and otherwise, so people are shorter tempered.
The forum has been going for ages, so there are long established clashes, enmities and dislikes. So there's more playing the man not the ball.

Both spring to mind as factors. But you've got some other good points there.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 05 Apr 2024 23:01

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? I don't know whether it was more civil back then or people are just more prepared to call shit out now. That Spacey "gaylord" comment being a case in point. I think if someone posted that now, plenty would tell him to fcuk off with the homophobia. I also remember SROT being an obnoxious bunch of pcunts when they wanted to be and rendering this place unreadable at times.

I think there's a few factors contributing.

Last decade has been shit football and otherwise, so people are shorter tempered.
The forum has been going for ages, so there are long established clashes, enmities and dislikes. So there's more playing the man not the ball.

Both spring to mind as factors. But you've got some other good points there.

No mods removing the nasty posts no mods dealing with the dicks on the board.

Football has changed so much over the last 10 years everyone believes they are an expert as they have every piece of football information at their finger tips. People double down and are prepared to die on a hill for their opinion.

When we had more traffic on the board a lot of the stuff used to get buried as soon as a topic fell on to page two it was forgotten about. Now we have mega thread and stuff stays visible for longer making it seems more widespread than it actually is.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 06 Apr 2024 11:24

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ckout=true

Chiron Sports Said to Make Site Visit for Reading Football Deal

A consortium backed by Chiron Sports Group visited Reading FC on Friday, as the investor group zeroes in on a deal to buy the embattled English football club from Chinese real estate executive Dai Yongge, according to people familiar with the matter.

Chiron’s Leo Rifkind met Friday with executives of the third-division club to discuss a potential deal, the people said, asking not to be identified because the information is private. He was joined by a representative for one of Chiron’s partners in the deal, a US West Coast investor who’s actively involved in US major league sports ownership, according to the people.

Representatives for Chiron and Reading FC declined to comment.

Last week, Reading FC confirmed that Dai had committed to a letter of intent with a potential purchaser of the club and was entering a period of exclusive negotiations. It didn’t name the suitor.

Reading FC ranks 18th in EFL League 1, the third division of English football, just above the last four spots that would see the team relegated to the lower league. It has been docked 18 points for breaking football’s financial rules under Dai’s ownership, contributing to its demotion into England’s third tier.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 06 Apr 2024 11:35

morganb https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-06/chiron-sports-said-to-make-site-visit-for-reading-football-deal?embedded-checkout=true

A consortium backed by Chiron Sports Group visited Reading FC on Friday, as the investor group zeroes in on a deal to buy the embattled English football club from Chinese real estate executive Dai Yongge, according to people familiar with the matter.

Chiron’s Leo Rifkind met Friday with executives of the third-division club to discuss a potential deal, the people said, asking not to be identified because the information is private. He was joined by a representative for one of Chiron’s partners in the deal, a US West Coast investor who’s actively involved in US major league sports ownership, according to the people.

Last week, Reading FC confirmed that Dai had committed to a letter of intent with a potential purchaser of the club and was entering a period of exclusive negotiations. It didn’t name the suitor.

Reading FC ranks 18th in EFL League 1, the third division of English football, just above the last four spots that would see the team relegated to the lower league. It has been docked 18 points for breaking football’s financial rules under Dai’s ownership, contributing to its demotion into England’s third tier.

asking not to be identified because the information is private

Bloomberg then identifies.

Still, this sounds like reliable information from a recognised source, even if we all hoped things might be a bit further along by now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Apr 2024 11:44

Armadillo Roadkill
morganb https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-06/chiron-sports-said-to-make-site-visit-for-reading-football-deal?embedded-checkout=true

Still, this sounds like reliable information from a recognised source, even if we all hoped things might be a bit further along by now.

That article feels like it's been lazily translated or written by someone who has ENglish as a second language.

I'm assuming the 'people' referred to here are the source of the info, and don't want to be identified because they're giving information that is confidential. While the partners of Chiron are not explicitly named but sounds a lot like those Vikings chaps?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Apr 2024 11:49

Leo Rikfind does know his name is all over companies house for the charge over Bearwood, right? He us a qualified lawyer after all. But still good he's being discrete.

Worth keeping an eye on the directors' box today? Potential buyers in the house has been a lucky charm a few times this season. Bolton, Derby and Cambridge spring to mind.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 06 Apr 2024 12:28

My recollection is that it was (with the obvious exceptions above) much more of a "fans" forum with sensible exchanges about away day locations and meeting places - would never have visited the Bradford Arms without HNA! There was a lot more lift sharing to away games, spaces in cars would be filled with randoms, I recall getting a lift to Middlesbrough with someone i had not met before as my usual crowd were not going.
There was also a lot more "in real life" stuff going on from Schards arranging matches with away fans, played at Rabsons with post match drinks in the Engineers, to HNA v Burbs matches, BBQ,PAP etc.

'Twas nice to reminisce for a while.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 Apr 2024 12:52

WestYorksRoyal Leo Rikfind does know his name is all over companies house for the charge over Bearwood, right? He us a qualified lawyer after all. But still good he's being discrete.

Just business. Whatever the outcome they'll make money. Bet there's a significant interest rate on the money being lent to the club to keep it a float as a backstop.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Apr 2024 13:29

Old division 3 :)

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 06 Apr 2024 13:31

MartinRdg
Brum Royal What about Off at Eleven (OAE)? I vaguely remember that, but not what format it took.

I first signed up to this portal when it was a shade of pale blue and lots of cascading messages down the page like a Windows Explorer tree, with titles of "X" then "Re: X" then "Re: Re: X" then "Re: Re: Re: X" etc

OAE rings a bell but also can't remember the format

It was rivals.net

They had a forum for every team, but some were more active than others. You could go and post on any other teams' board with the same login for OAE, so it was a constant battle royale between wind up merchants, trolls, wanna be Tommy Robinsons asking where to find trouble, and people who wanted player ratings and a place to moan about the price of stagnant pint of Courage Best.

The Stoke and QPR lot were particularly sensitive on there iirc.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 06 Apr 2024 14:08

Snowflake Royal
Armadillo Roadkill

That article feels like it's been lazily translated or written by someone who has ENglish as a second language.

I'm assuming the 'people' referred to here are the source of the info, and don't want to be identified because they're giving information that is confidential. While the partners of Chiron are not explicitly named but sounds a lot like those Vikings chaps?

Yeah Rumours on Twitter that Huang Kad has been advising Bloomberg

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 06 Apr 2024 18:05

ayjaydee

My recollection is that it was (with the obvious exceptions above) much more of a "fans" forum with sensible exchanges about away day locations and meeting places - would never have visited the Bradford Arms without HNA! There was a lot more lift sharing to away games, spaces in cars would be filled with randoms, I recall getting a lift to Middlesbrough with someone i had not met before as my usual crowd were not going.
There was also a lot more "in real life" stuff going on from Schards arranging matches with away fans, played at Rabsons with post match drinks in the Engineers, to HNA v Burbs matches, BBQ,PAP etc.

Some genuinely happy days there Ayjaydee - even though I tore my achilles playing against the QPR fans in one of those matches!!!

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 06 Apr 2024 18:11

Mr Angry
ayjaydee

Some genuinely happy days there Ayjaydee - even though I tore my achilles playing against the QPR fans in one of those matches!!!

Indeed, not sure we would get away with shouting “fine arse” out of the car windows to any semi attractive female these days! Different times.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 06 Apr 2024 18:25

Snowflake Royal
Armadillo Roadkill

The Vikings are Minnesota right ? Does that count as West Coast ?
If they are referring to the owners then it still doesn’t fit as the Vikings owners are New Yorkers aren’t they ?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 06 Apr 2024 23:48

Yeah, Wilf is New Jersey based. The vikings seemingly have very little to do with the west coast.

Delboy

by Delboy » 07 Apr 2024 06:55

More than 15000 at the last 3 home games , no defeats in those games, great atmosphere, new owners should be able to see the potential. 18000 next season if we are a top 6 side .

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Apr 2024 07:44

Royal Ginger Yeah, Wilf is New Jersey based. The vikings seemingly have very little to do with the west coast.

The Minnesota Vikings is based in Minneapolis in Minnesota which is as good as halfway between east and west coast US (it's one of the states around the "great lakes" that borders Canada, being north of Illinois and Iowa as well as bordering the Dakotas). The Wilfs hail from Germany but emigrated to New Jersey in the 1950s.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 07 Apr 2024 07:49

Minneapolis/St Paul is an underrated city that often gets looked over as an airport hub.

Great for a bit of sports tourism, highly recommend.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 07 Apr 2024 10:38

My diehard Charlton mate had never heard of Leo Rifkin, if he was a dodgy shyster who was involved during their protracted takeover I think he'd be more well known. So I'll take that as a positive.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Apr 2024 12:21

PieEater My diehard Charlton mate had never heard of Leo Rifkin, if he was a dodgy shyster who was involved during their protracted takeover I think he'd be more well known. So I'll take that as a positive.

I’m sure there are some die hard Reading fans who have never heard of Kia too….

3424 posts