TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

3424 posts
Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by Orion1871 » 07 Apr 2024 13:27

Brogue
PieEater My diehard Charlton mate had never heard of Leo Rifkin, if he was a dodgy shyster who was involved during their protracted takeover I think he'd be more well known. So I'll take that as a positive.

I’m sure there are some die hard Reading fans who have never heard of Kia too….

Who?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Apr 2024 16:50

Orion1871
Brogue
PieEater My diehard Charlton mate had never heard of Leo Rifkin, if he was a dodgy shyster who was involved during their protracted takeover I think he'd be more well known. So I'll take that as a positive.

Who?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Apr 2024 19:06

Sutekh
Orion1871
Brogue

Who?

Take over by Rita Ora?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 09 Apr 2024 09:55

Ascotexgunner
Sutekh
Orion1871
Who?

Take over by Rita Ora?

Lol

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Apr 2024 22:07

Right Chiron, we're staying up. Get the deal done. Contracts exchanged before the Blackpool game would make an amazing final day.

Owlish52

by Owlish52 » 10 Apr 2024 00:09

As noted above, Zygi and Mark Wilf (brothers and co-owners of the Minnesota Vikings) are an East Coast family (New York/New Jersey and Florida) and would not be referred to as "West Coast investors". There is no shortage of "West Coast investors" over here, many of which have some degree of involvement in professional sports. I'm not sure many have pockets quite as deep as the Wilf brothers, but some certainly do and others might not be quite as well-off but are still substantial enough to easily fund an English football club without strain. I think the Vikings connection is some sort of mistake, but the '"West Coast" tie could be a red herring as well.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Apr 2024 09:19

Owlish52 As noted above, Zygi and Mark Wilf (brothers and co-owners of the Minnesota Vikings) are an East Coast family (New York/New Jersey and Florida) and would not be referred to as "West Coast investors". There is no shortage of "West Coast investors" over here, many of which have some degree of involvement in professional sports. I'm not sure many have pockets quite as deep as the Wilf brothers, but some certainly do and others might not be quite as well-off but are still substantial enough to easily fund an English football club without strain. I think the Vikings connection is some sort of mistake, but the '"West Coast" tie could be a red herring as well.

West Coast were our sponsors once, just to confuse matters.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Apr 2024 09:45

Owlish52 As noted above, Zygi and Mark Wilf (brothers and co-owners of the Minnesota Vikings) are an East Coast family (New York/New Jersey and Florida) and would not be referred to as "West Coast investors". There is no shortage of "West Coast investors" over here, many of which have some degree of involvement in professional sports. I'm not sure many have pockets quite as deep as the Wilf brothers, but some certainly do and others might not be quite as well-off but are still substantial enough to easily fund an English football club without strain. I think the Vikings connection is some sort of mistake, but the '"West Coast" tie could be a red herring as well.

And, of course, the media aren't exactly known for accuracy so lazy umbrella comments will be the norm.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Apr 2024 11:24

If we do join the growing list of clubs with US investment, I do wonder where this is going in the long term. US sporting franchises make money, US businessmen like to make money. But very few people make money out of English football. Could we witness a moment where the penny drops and US investors try to exit? We've already been burned by the Chinese rush to invest and subsequent exit.

I do at least trust US investors to understand out culture and the importance of the club better.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Apr 2024 11:32

WestYorksRoyal If we do join the growing list of clubs with US investment, I do wonder where this is going in the long term. US sporting franchises make money, US businessmen like to make money. But very few people make money out of English football. Could we witness a moment where the penny drops and US investors try to exit? We've already been burned by the Chinese rush to invest and subsequent exit.

I do at least trust US investors to understand out culture and the importance of the club better.

I don't know if they're making any money buy at least Wrexhams investors seem to understand and appreciate the link amd impact to the community that football clubs have.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 10 Apr 2024 11:38

WestYorksRoyal If we do join the growing list of clubs with US investment, I do wonder where this is going in the long term. US sporting franchises make money, US businessmen like to make money. But very few people make money out of English football. Could we witness a moment where the penny drops and US investors try to exit? We've already been burned by the Chinese rush to invest and subsequent exit.

Where this has to go is that football has to be forced to be more sustainable, forced to be less reliant on huge injections of capital from outside football, given the amount of money within the game.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Apr 2024 11:44

bcubed

I don't know if they're making any money buy at least Wrexhams investors seem to understand and appreciate the link amd impact to the community that football clubs have.

I think Hollywood FC is unique. I don't know what they paid to acquire it, nor what they have subsequently invested, but they could almost certainly sell it for more now.

But a lot of it is based upon who their owners are and their profile. Welcome to Wrexham is worth so much as a TV series that their revenues are comparable to a lot of Championship clubs. But I don't think many other owners could replicate such an increase in revenue and stature.

I also don't think you could tell the same story for Reading compared to a former mining town like Wrexham. "These middle class white collar fans just want a Premier League team they can watch again." :lol:

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 10 Apr 2024 11:50

WestYorksRoyal I also don't think you could tell the same story for Reading compared to a former mining town like Wrexham. "These middle class white collar fans just want a Premier League team they can watch again." :lol:

You'd have to get Gervaise and Merchant to produce it.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Apr 2024 11:50

WestYorksRoyal
bcubed

I think Hollywood FC is unique. I don't know what they paid to acquire it, nor what they have subsequently invested, but they could almost certainly sell it for more now.

But a lot of it is based upon who their owners are and their profile. Welcome to Wrexham is worth so much as a TV series that their revenues are comparable to a lot of Championship clubs. But I don't think many other owners could replicate such an increase in revenue and stature.

I also don't think you could tell the same story for Reading compared to a former mining town like Wrexham. "These middle class white collar fans just want a Premier League team they can watch again." :lol:

Maybe
And no it doesn't really sell for Reading. :D But there are plenty of others where it would

Biscuit goalie

by Biscuit goalie » 10 Apr 2024 12:28

My tuppence worth! I think that the Americans (as in Wrexham) are attempting to draw locals back to the game, Wrexham has good transport links to both Liverpool and Manchester. How often can they get tickets to see the big clubs and the cost associated with this, invest in a small club with big ambitions and as you can see it seems to be working (second in league 2 at the moment). Americans are not keen on failure, so investment in a club with good transport links (close to London) would be the way to go. Steady the ship at first and then shrewd investment to move us up is the right way to go (not overspend on hopeless players).

As long a the current owner doesn't pull out of the deal, we should be ok for the future. :D

Feel free to shoot me down :lol: :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2024 12:34

Biscuit goalie My tuppence worth! I think that the Americans (as in Wrexham) are attempting to draw locals back to the game, Wrexham has good transport links to both Liverpool and Manchester. How often can they get tickets to see the big clubs and the cost associated with this, invest in a small club with big ambitions and as you can see it seems to be working (second in league 2 at the moment). Americans are not keen on failure, so investment in a club with good transport links (close to London) would be the way to go. Steady the ship at first and then shrewd investment to move us up is the right way to go (not overspend on hopeless players).

As long a the current owner doesn't pull out of the deal, we should be ok for the future. :D

Feel free to shoot me down :lol: :lol:

It shouldn't be too impossible to take us from bottom of L1 to top half Championship, competing for outside PL promotion in a 5-6 year timeframe and then sell for a profit there. They could conceivably double their purchase price, less ongoing costs.

And if they fund each season through growing attendance and sponsorship, cup money and a big player sale or two via shrewd signings on the up and the Academy, its doable for minimal season to season investment.

Actually achieving that is hard, of course.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 10 Apr 2024 12:37

Biscuit goalie My tuppence worth! I think that the Americans (as in Wrexham) are attempting to draw locals back to the game, Wrexham has good transport links to both Liverpool and Manchester. How often can they get tickets to see the big clubs and the cost associated with this, invest in a small club with big ambitions and as you can see it seems to be working (second in league 2 at the moment).
But why wouldn't you just go to Stockport or Tranmere?

MIM Royal

by MIM Royal » 10 Apr 2024 12:39

The US investors will always want to make money, and that means aiming for the top league. Interesting to listen to the US Bournemouth owner last night on his plans, and the Birmingham City expansion plans. We already have the stadium, but needs more use. Buy the land around the ground from the Thais, buy Smallmead, develop a retail park and let this then fund the investment in the football future. Its a big bet, but doable, as once in the Premier League you have to make money, and the investors get their payback.

Easy to write down, but needs cojones.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Apr 2024 13:19

MIM Royal The US investors will always want to make money, and that means aiming for the top league. Interesting to listen to the US Bournemouth owner last night on his plans, and the Birmingham City expansion plans. We already have the stadium, but needs more use. Buy the land around the ground from the Thais, buy Smallmead, develop a retail park and let this then fund the investment in the football future. Its a big bet, but doable, as once in the Premier League you have to make money, and the investors get their payback.

I think what we'll see from US influence is turning the matchdays into money making machines. I've been to some US sports games like baseball and NHL, and modern stadiums are designed for you to spend time and money in, with vendors competing for prime spots. Spurs' new stadium is similar, and they have pre match and post match entertainment there. Forget your pub routine; spend all your time and money at the ground. Especially as all the pubs nearby Spurs are dives.

In the context of Reading, buying the land back off the Thais and doing the REP development would be the obvious way to do this.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 10 Apr 2024 14:08

WestYorksRoyal
MIM Royal The US investors will always want to make money, and that means aiming for the top league. Interesting to listen to the US Bournemouth owner last night on his plans, and the Birmingham City expansion plans. We already have the stadium, but needs more use. Buy the land around the ground from the Thais, buy Smallmead, develop a retail park and let this then fund the investment in the football future. Its a big bet, but doable, as once in the Premier League you have to make money, and the investors get their payback.

I think what we'll see from US influence is turning the matchdays into money making machines. I've been to some US sports games like baseball and NHL, and modern stadiums are designed for you to spend time and money in, with vendors competing for prime spots. Spurs' new stadium is similar, and they have pre match and post match entertainment there. Forget your pub routine; spend all your time and money at the ground. Especially as all the pubs nearby Spurs are dives.

In the context of Reading, buying the land back off the Thais and doing the REP development would be the obvious way to do this.

Wouldn’t they need to get out of the Compass contract to that ? We were heading in exactly that direction with Blue Collar but Compass pointed to their contract and killed it. I can’t see how it’s a money maker for them and after all these years a change of catering is well over due….

3424 posts