Did the protest do what it intended?

JR

Re: Did the protest do what it intended?

by JR » 14 Jan 2024 23:33

I’ve had various friends contact me in the last 24 hours to ask what is happening at Reading and was stopped in the street today by people I don’t know wanting to find out more about it (as I had a Reading cap on).

So based on that small sample the abandonment has led to a hundred fold level of increase in interest.

Had the fans on the pitch returned to the stands after 10 minutes (or even 60) this would not have been a story that spread anywhere near as much.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 14 Jan 2024 23:42

Not one report is painting Reading fans in a bad light and so they shouldn't.

I think the media and other fans have got it. Theres only two people which can be blamed for yesterday - Dai and Pang. I would hope if one is banned, the other is also banned. If Dai is banned, Pang might quit.

This will probably leave Bowen steering things through whatever next is to come. If its administration, hopefully the buying parties come straight out with their intentions. As unpopular as he was at Newcastle, Mike Ashley would be perfect for this club.

He wouldn't spend loads but make the club sustainable. I'd rather that than some chancer we have never heard of.

Thinking back, and as much of a prat as he was and very dodgy, Storey and his team might have seen the debt's and realised it was a bad deal.

Hand on heart, I'm expecting administration. Its the one route which might be short term pain but longer term gain. But at least it will still mean a Reading Football Club. Someone will buy this football club from admin, especially now its gained further attention.

It is probably better that, if thats the route, it happens ASAP rather than delaying for another 3 months of slow decay.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Jan 2024 00:14

Reading4eva Not one report is painting Reading fans in a bad light and so they shouldn't.

I think the media and other fans have got it. Theres only two people which can be blamed for yesterday - Dai and Pang. I would hope if one is banned, the other is also banned. If Dai is banned, Pang might quit.

This will probably leave Bowen steering things through whatever next is to come. If its administration, hopefully the buying parties come straight out with their intentions. As unpopular as he was at Newcastle, Mike Ashley would be perfect for this club.

He wouldn't spend loads but make the club sustainable. I'd rather that than some chancer we have never heard of.

Thinking back, and as much of a prat as he was and very dodgy, Storey and his team might have seen the debt's and realised it was a bad deal.

Hand on heart, I'm expecting administration. Its the one route which might be short term pain but longer term gain. But at least it will still mean a Reading Football Club. Someone will buy this football club from admin, especially now its gained further attention.

It is probably better that, if thats the route, it happens ASAP rather than delaying for another 3 months of slow decay.

This ^
Dai selling the club means he can wait as long as he needs till he gets what he wants, Administration is to the highest bidder with the best interests of the creditors , as most of the debt is owing to Dai he really has to make deal before the EFL ban him.

Disrupting their competition is NOT the way to get them onside, they have recently stopped punishing the club instead going after Dai to the extent of recommending to the independent panel that he be banned from owning a club.

We do not have two enemies here Dai and the EFL The EFL are using their rules agreed by not only RFC but all the other clubs.
The one body we want on our side in this is the EFL

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 15 Jan 2024 01:51

Got national media attention with a number of high profile people within the game commenting on it. It worked an absolute treat.

Anyone who boo’ed needs to seriously consider whether they actually what the club to survive. I personally could not care less about how the season goes now.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2024 05:58

It worked a treat in terms if attention this weekend, the question now is how to keep that attention as time moves on.

This weekend has garnered sympathy all round, whatever is done next must continue to illicit a similar response, if a sale does not move quickly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2024 09:53

P!ssed Off
windermereROYAL To many it was deemed a success, but because of this I would hate for fans to think they should do it on a regular occurrence, it was like the march, it was significant and put out a loud message, any repeats and it could divide the fan base.
There were several angry people there yesterday, not everybody is on social media and it came as quite a surprise to them.

Not remotely bothered about upsetting the 25% of fans, or whatever it is, that would rather sit quietly and do absolutely nothing.
Will continue to do what I feel is best for the club.

You know that no agreeing with abandonment doesn't mean being passive a.d doing nothing right?

People have respected you choice
Maybe show some respect for other choices.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2024 09:54

72 bus
Snowflake Royal
72 bus
Banned from football puts the selling process in the hands of the administrator, best offer wins taking into account the creditors.
Dai's dept is mainly to himself so really Admin is the best outcome at the moment, which is why certain parties are holding back and not getting into a bidding scenario just yet.

Got anything to back that up?

Banned from ownership means he has to sell, there is no one else able to fund the club so administration is what would happen.
At that point the highest bidder wins but has to pays the creditors what they are owed which would be pennies in the pound.
Given that biggest creditor is Dai then his best avenue is to sell the club quickly for whatever he can get rather than let it go to the administrators auction.
Clubs are bought for a pound and then deals are made with creditors AKA bolton which we know about from Tenbobsworth until we all put him on ignore

Nope. No legal framework to force sale. Only recourse the FLhas is to throw tge club out the league

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2024 09:57

72 bus
Reading4eva Not one report is painting Reading fans in a bad light and so they shouldn't.

This ^
Dai selling the club means he can wait as long as he needs till he gets what he wants, Administration is to the highest bidder with the best interests of the creditors , as most of the debt is owing to Dai he really has to make deal before the EFL ban him.

Disrupting their competition is NOT the way to get them onside, they have recently stopped punishing the club instead going after Dai to the extent of recommending to the independent panel that he be banned from owning a club.

We do not have two enemies here Dai and the EFL The EFL are using their rules agreed by not only RFC but all the other clubs.

For about the hundredth time, Dai is the only one who can put the club in Administration.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Jan 2024 09:59

Snowflake Royal
72 bus

This ^

For about the hundredth time, Dai is the only one who can put the club in Administration.

You're trying to reason with 72Bus, mate. You're fighting a losing battle.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Jan 2024 10:05

JR and was stopped in the street today by people I don’t know wanting to find out more about it (as I had a Reading cap on.

didn't happen

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jan 2024 10:27

Loads over Twitter today, inc mentions of the situation from the likes of Jeff Stelling, Ian Wright and Gary Neville

Fair to say the protests have done their job

Of course whether anything positive happens as a result is a much more difficult question

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jan 2024 10:36

Hound Loads over Twitter today, inc mentions of the situation from the likes of Jeff Stelling, Ian Wright and Gary Neville

Of course whether anything positive happens as a result is a much more difficult question

On the face of it puts EFL in a sticky position, but expect corporate group think will stop them changing how they act. Not of the same scale of outrage, but the post office scandal shows how myopia can lead to organisations stubbornly believing they're right. I'm sure the EFL will keep doing as they're doing without questioning why a different club is in our position every year.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 15 Jan 2024 10:39

talksport now - currently SJM on

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Jan 2024 10:40

Skin talksport now - currently SJM on

I hope he's up to date at least, still remember he was defending Dai because of the amount he had invested into the club not too long ago.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2024 10:52

WestYorksRoyal
Hound Loads over Twitter today, inc mentions of the situation from the likes of Jeff Stelling, Ian Wright and Gary Neville

On the face of it puts EFL in a sticky position, but expect corporate group think will stop them changing how they act. Not of the same scale of outrage, but the post office scandal shows how myopia can lead to organisations stubbornly believing they're right. I'm sure the EFL will keep doing as they're doing without questioning why a different club is in our position every year.

Somewhat different situations.

The EFL may need different rules to ensure better prevention, but clubs have to vote for that, but they certainly can't just make up their rules as they go along. They have to enforce them.

There's two points to all this.

1) The wider question of ownership and oversight, which to be honest is for Gov and legislation, not the FL. Which is just a body to represent the clubs themselves. This does nothing to help us. We're pretty much at the point where even a rushed through regulator is too late for us.

2) Our immediate plight, which is only solved by Dai selling.

The FL aren't really in the equation. All they can do is raise charges and recommend sanctions to the Independent Commission. And all that can achieve is fines, points deductions or barring Dai from being an owner or director. But even if the latter goes through and he gets 28 days to sell, he doesn’t have to. And their only recourse beyond that is expulsion.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jan 2024 10:56

I think it just shows football can't mark its own homework. If we go, we'll be the third since 2020, following Bury and Macclesfield and that doesn't consider the near misses. The PL and EFL still haven't agreed on funding.

People like Steve Parish saying the regulator should be light touch are so wrong; it needs to be a fcuking sledgehammer.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2024 10:57

The FA will no doubt impose a fine for "failure to control supporters", and the FL will no doubt impose a suspended points deduction - this is based on precedent of the Blackpool vs Huddersfield abandonment in May 2015.

If the FL *don't* do these they know they're opening the doors for more and more pitch invasions and abandonments, as well as leaving themselves open to criticism from clubs who've had these punishments before.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Jan 2024 10:58

NathStPaul Did this really require a new thread?
More threads = More publicity?
Like someone at SkySports saying "Does this really require a new discussion?"

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 15 Jan 2024 10:59

Dirk Gently The FA will no doubt impose a fine for "failure to control supporters", and the FL will no doubt impose a suspended points deduction - this is based on precedent of the Blackpool vs Huddersfield abandonment in May 2015.

If the FL *don't* do these they know they're opening the doors for more and more pitch invasions and abandonments, as well as leaving themselves open to criticism from clubs who've had these punishments before.

Was the Blackpool v Huddersfield match re-played or points given to Huddersfield ?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2024 11:01

Royals and Racers
Dirk Gently The FA will no doubt impose a fine for "failure to control supporters", and the FL will no doubt impose a suspended points deduction - this is based on precedent of the Blackpool vs Huddersfield abandonment in May 2015.

Was the Blackpool v Huddersfield match re-played or points given to Huddersfield ?

It was the very last match of the season and the result didn't have any effect on the league label, so they fudged it and let the results stand. I doubt they'll do that here as it's only Jan.