MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (a)

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wigan Athletic (a)

by stealthpapes » 20 Jan 2024 19:39

also, lol at their home end, reckon no more than 250-300 opposite.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 Jan 2024 20:32

Attendance was somewhere in the region of 9k - 650 ish Reading fans

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Jan 2024 20:41

Just back from that atrocious game of football. Definitely disappointed to lose we're losing our bite up front

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jan 2024 21:12

Gunny Fishcake Highlight was Wigan PA announcer making a complete dogs bollocks of WiFi password when he came on

Like BBCRB do with every mention of his name :D

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Jan 2024 21:28

4 points behind Exeter with 2 home games against in form sides to come, then the pox and Stevenage away, not looking great is it.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 20 Jan 2024 21:48

WestYorksRoyal Long trip to make without a hotel.

Bullshite drove Glasgow and back in a day, no probs.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 20 Jan 2024 21:49

Royal_jimmy

Yes 4 hours on even a luxury coach that'll leave at the crack of dawn Saturday won't be the greatest of preparation. That'll catch up with the squad at some point. Peterborough and Cheltenham are relatively local so aren't too bad for the squad but treks up north will not help the legs.

The poor little things.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jan 2024 22:46

It sucks, we probably didn't deserve to lose but we're also not very good so we're going to have games like that. Could the long gap have played a factor in the flat performance?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jan 2024 23:55

Not sure how different today's performance was to recent performances with better results. We don't have a clear style or identity to create chances; we've just had individuals producing moments of quality and today they didn't. Wigan weren't any better but they did.

Not saying our recent run was a load of false results, I think it's just how this league is.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2024 00:33

WestYorksRoyal Not sure how different today's performance was to recent performances with better results. We don't have a clear style or identity to create chances; we've just had individuals producing moments of quality and today they didn't. Wigan weren't any better but they did.

Not saying our recent run was a load of false results, I think it's just how this league is.

Yeah, this.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jan 2024 08:40

karbota

Did Byron need a lift somewhere?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Jan 2024 09:33

Well that was hours of travelling to watch a drab game. I thought a draw would have been a fair result because both teams were poor. We were on top in the second half, but were undone by one moment of brilliance in the first half.

I still don’t see any real pattern to our play which is frustrating. I’d rather have someone like the Cheltenham manager in charge who has simplified the game and the fans know what to expect each week.

Anyway, it’s like being in limbo atm and I can’t get too excited by a win or too down by a loss. As our existence is at stake the results have become immaterial.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Jan 2024 10:06

4 points adrift. Obviously the points deduction in significant, but that dire run of 1 point from 8 between Bolton and Wycombe is looking fatal for our season. Even averaging 1 point per game and we'd be going through this off field crisis from relative safety.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 21 Jan 2024 10:11

Sutekh
karbota

Did Byron need a lift somewhere?

Yer needed an urgent fix.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 21 Jan 2024 12:07

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal Not sure how different today's performance was to recent performances with better results. We don't have a clear style or identity to create chances; we've just had individuals producing moments of quality and today they didn't. Wigan weren't any better but they did.

Yeah, this.

kinda disagree, at least based on recent away games and particularly the run from November to December in the league.

One thing we barely did yesterday was push Smith deep into the channels, trying to stretch play.

blythspartan I still don’t see any real pattern to our play which is frustrating.

Again, kinda disagree. I think we clearly had a plan yesterday, which was to keep possession, work the ball wide and put low crosses into box. This was much more like how we played in the first few away games.

This adds to my frustration as, once Wigan went 1 up, their game plan was easy to set up and easy to implement and we didn't have the variety - in pace, in directness, in style, in aggression - to make them have to do anything different.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 21 Jan 2024 18:43

blythspartan Well that was hours of travelling to watch a drab game. I thought a draw would have been a fair result because both teams were poor. We were on top in the second half, but were undone by one moment of brilliance in the first half.

I still don’t see any real pattern to our play which is frustrating. I’d rather have someone like the Cheltenham manager in charge who has simplified the game and the fans know what to expect each week.

Anyway, it’s like being in limbo atm and I can’t get too excited by a win or too down by a loss. As our existence is at stake the results have become immaterial.

That's basically my summation too - neither side really deserved to win. Their goal was a great finish, although we shouldn't be giving anyone that amount of time on the edge of the box to get a shot away (as we've done far too often this season). Like the Brighton Trophy game, we had a lot of pressure but never looked too threatening.

Would say our crossing was really poor. I don't know how many balls we put into the box, but most seemed to go straight to the first defender and those which didn't were mostly far too deep.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jan 2024 20:05

blythspartan Well that was hours of travelling to watch a drab game. I thought a draw would have been a fair result because both teams were poor. We were on top in the second half, but were undone by one moment of brilliance in the first half.

I think I do know what to expect from us each week really, I don't see many games where we don't play that much differently each week. I think yesterday was just one of those games where we just lacked quality in front of goal, it happens. In recent results/performances, it was certainly an off day.

Agree though there are seemingly more important matters than the on-field results at the moment.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jan 2024 20:19

Highlight of the visit was the number of Port Vale fans who joined us. Classy that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2024 08:25

YorkshireRoyal99

I think I do know what to expect from us each week really, I don't see many games where we don't play that much differently each week. I think yesterday was just one of those games where we just lacked quality in front of goal, it happens. In recent results/performances, it was certainly an off day.

Agree though there are seemingly more important matters than the on-field results at the moment.

We've seen a couple of times that we struggle to score when we are dominant in possession against a prepared defence.

We're much more suited to breaking quick on teams and Selles has taken half a season to work out plan A, so expecting a plan B is probably a little much.

And we've been too reliant on screamers. Wing, Azeez and Savage have all hit some bangers. But they're not going to do it week in week out.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jan 2024 09:05

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

We've seen a couple of times that we struggle to score when we are dominant in possession against a prepared defence.

We're much more suited to breaking quick on teams and Selles has taken half a season to work out plan A, so expecting a plan B is probably a little much.

And we've been too reliant on screamers. Wing, Azeez and Savage have all hit some bangers. But they're not going to do it week in week out.

I think a lot of teams would be though, opposition defence out of shape, more space to exploit etc. Although I do agree, we don't have too many players capable on unlocking a defence with a pass, the only one I can really think of is Wing really.