No votes
Hutchinson
No votes

Total votes: 62
Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Hob Nob Anyone? player of the season 2023/24

by Brogue » 02 Apr 2024 13:50

5 games to go it's that time again, who is your player of the season? vote now.

hobnob only allows 20 options on a poll. So I went to transfermarket.com sorted players by appearances and removed the players who fcuked off in Jan like Abbey Holmes vickers etc. The below list is In order of the number of appearances in all comps.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Hob Nob Anyone? player of the season 2023/24

by Hendo » 02 Apr 2024 13:52

Wing.

Tinpot Royal

by Tinpot Royal » 02 Apr 2024 14:19

Knibbs
Wing
Bindon

Azeez would have been top if he hadn't lost his form after the January transfer window

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Apr 2024 17:41

For me it's Bindon.

He started the season well, but in Abbey's shadow. Since Abbey moved on he's been outstanding and one of the first names on the team sheet. Which as a teen in his first season is truely outstanding. Most of his weaker performances were when he was chucked out of position at RB in a broken formation.

Wing was standout early on, but for me he hasn't quite lived up to the hype. He's obviously a very strong contender (I'd put him second place) but I think he goes long and direct a bit too much and is part of the reason we seem to lack control in midfield and the ability to retain possession and dictate games at times. But some of his pings are fantastic, and the goals have been excellent.

I think three of our front four have all done very well, but at times flattered ro deceive for long spells, which counts them out as they all have decent experience behind them. So Smith, Knibbs and Azeez in no particular order round out my top 5

Yids has had a good season, so honourable mention.

I'd put Craig as young player of the season, even though he's older than Bindon, because I don't see the point in giving both to Bindon.

Unusually, there are almost no stinkers. Mola has dramatically improved. Mbengue, Savage etc have all come on nicely. Dean has barely played. Carroll left early. Etc etc.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 02 Apr 2024 20:32

I'd have to say Bindon as well. For someone who's still only 19 and in their first season in senior football, he's a player who could easily go on to play in the Premier League. He's incredibly assured, composed, good in the air, fairly strong, able to put a tackle in and reads the game well.

He was obviously completely out of position playing right-back earlier in the season, he has made mistakes this season (although you'd expect that from inexperienced players and Abbey perhaps detracted from Bindon's performances.

If Abbey had remained with us, and continued playing as he was, it would've been very difficult to chose between the two. I think they're two very different sort of centre-backs, with perhaps Abbey's style of play being more noticeable and 'showy' (can't think of the right word) than Bindon's - even if they both seem as effective as each other at being centre-backs. I've certain noticed Bindon more since Abbey's left, although that could also be Bindon developing as a player.

Of our first team regulars, I think he's almost been the most consistent this season. Players like Azeez, Smith and Wing have had periods where they look exceptional, but other periods where they basically do nothing.

Incredible for a player who I don't think we expected to be involved much this season when he joined - we assumed he'd be behind Holmes, McIntyre, Dean and Mbengue at centre-back this season. He's one of the few players (under contract) we've got who'll attract interest in the summer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Apr 2024 23:14

Clyde1998 I'd have to say Bindon as well. For someone who's still only 19 and in their first season in senior football, he's a player who could easily go on to play in the Premier League. He's incredibly assured, composed, good in the air, fairly strong, able to put a tackle in and reads the game well.

He was obviously completely out of position playing right-back earlier in the season, he has made mistakes this season (although you'd expect that from inexperienced players and Abbey perhaps detracted from Bindon's performances.

If Abbey had remained with us, and continued playing as he was, it would've been very difficult to chose between the two. I think they're two very different sort of centre-backs, with perhaps Abbey's style of play being more noticeable and 'showy' (can't think of the right word) than Bindon's - even if they both seem as effective as each other at being centre-backs. I've certain noticed Bindon more since Abbey's left, although that could also be Bindon developing as a player.

Of our first team regulars, I think he's almost been the most consistent this season. Players like Azeez, Smith and Wing have had periods where they look exceptional, but other periods where they basically do nothing.

Incredible for a player who I don't think we expected to be involved much this season when he joined - we assumed he'd be behind Holmes, McIntyre, Dean and Mbengue at centre-back this season. He's one of the few players (under contract) we've got who'll attract interest in the summer.

I thibk Bindon's a 'better' defender than Abbey. I think Abbey used his pace and strength to get him out of trouble and didn't have to be as good at positioning and reading the game as a result.

Bindon strikes me as one of those players who doesn't have exceptional talent. What he has is exceptional commitment and capacity to learn that leads to him excelling.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Apr 2024 02:30

I think Wing is comfortably our best player but I’d absolutely give POTS to Bindon.

Not having to play donkey Dean despite losing Abbey, McIntyre & Holmes and with little negative effect has shaped the second half of the season .

I’d also say he’s improved regardless of partner . He was decent with Abbey , good with Holmes (despite on paper it not being a logical pairing) and arguably even better alongside MBengue.

Special mention for Knibb’s durability , Azeez,s purple patch , Kelvin E’s flashes of excellence and Smith’s nous up front and defending set pieces .

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Apr 2024 02:31

Brogue 5 games to go it's that time again, who is your player of the season? vote now.

hobnob only allows 20 options on a poll. So I went to transfermarket.com sorted players by appearances and removed the players who fcuked off in Jan like Abbey Holmes vickers etc. The below list is In order of the number of appearances in all comps.

Completely forgot Vickers existed. Toss up between Wing and Bindon, but Wing edges it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Apr 2024 07:30

Pepe the Horseman
Brogue 5 games to go it's that time again, who is your player of the season? vote now.

Completely forgot Vickers existed. Toss up between Wing and Bindon, but Wing edges it.

So had I until reading this post strangely enough. Just had to check his record at Brighton and looks like he has played 7 games for the u21 there - 3 goals, 2 assists.

Anyway, the answer to the question of this thread is Wing. Any other answer is just wrong.

Bindon takes Young PotS.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 03 Apr 2024 07:44

I vote Bindon mainly because he’s improved since Abbey left and must be one of the first names on the team sheet. I also rate Mbengue (centre back) and Craig. The Bolton fan I was chatting to on Monday thought the penalty aside Mbengue looked class.

A special mention to Smith as we improved when he came back into the team. He missed 2/3 months and I think he’s still scored around 11 goals and when he’s not scoring he works really hard for the team.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Apr 2024 08:05

Wing
Bindon
Abbey

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2024 08:22

Knibbs
Wing
Bindon

But would be happy to see either of those 3 win it

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 03 Apr 2024 09:48

Should be between Bindon and Wing for me, with the former just edging it..

The others in with a shout have gone missing more often that those two for my money.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Apr 2024 09:52

I'll give it to Bindon, if he signs a 15 year contract with a £100m release clause. :wink:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 03 Apr 2024 09:59

I voted Harlee Dean. His experience has been invaluable.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Apr 2024 10:34

Vision I think Wing is comfortably our best player but I’d absolutely give POTS to Bindon.

Not having to play donkey Dean despite losing Abbey, McIntyre & Holmes and with little negative effect has shaped the second half of the season .

I’d also say he’s improved regardless of partner . He was decent with Abbey , good with Holmes (despite on paper it not being a logical pairing) and arguably even better alongside MBengue.

Special mention for Knibb’s durability , Azeez,s purple patch , Kelvin E’s flashes of excellence and Smith’s nous up front and defending set pieces .

All of this.

Plus he hates the Swindon.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 03 Apr 2024 10:50

Yeah, that's basically the post i couldn't be bothered to write.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Apr 2024 10:58

Wing will win easily, probably Knibbs second and then Bindon.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 03 Apr 2024 11:19

I voted Wing.

Bindon has improved throughout the season and is now starting to regularly put in very good performances. But, for me, Wing has been our most consistent, industrious, effective, and at times spectacular, player.

Yiadom would be in with a shout too if he hadn't missed so many games, but seriously, we should be giving this guy a lot of love.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 03 Apr 2024 11:21

Bit dissapointed the poll has no Ian Royal option. Assume it was an oversight.