130 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

by Sutekh » 10 Apr 2024 10:17

When : Saturday 13th April 2024, 3pm
Where : Oakwell, Grove Street, Barnsley, S71 1ET
Capacity 23,009

Usual April/late season visit to South Yorkshire for the delights of Barnsley next and the second game in the swarm of B's that Reading have to the end the season with.

Reading might be tempted to relax now the number of games left have almost run out and the general form of teams below them isn't that hot but while that may elicit a better all round performance it's really not something that should be actively encouraged by the management, so heads down for another difficult clash that is, thankfully, the last against "promotion challenging" sides this season.

The Tykes have had a decent season, as is usual for them at this level, and as usual they're in amongst the play off teams and should comfortably get their season extended. However their current form has nosedived, especially at Oakwell, and the last 8 games have returned just 2 wins, both away from home against relegation haunted teams while they've failed to win any of their last 4 home games - which included conceding 7 goals in the games against Lincoln and Cambridge with only 1 goal scored in reply.

So Reading head towards a team that aren't at the peak of form and who have not scored at home for 193 minutes so there's opportunity to be had if the managment make the right calls and the players decide to be up for things.

Barnsley do have a very potent forward line with Devante Cole having hit 17 and John McAtee and Adam Philips having hit 19 between them so if these chaps can be quelled there should be a chance to continue the Tykes' misery for another home game.

Andy Yiadom is probably the only injury doubt going into the game after being substituted at Bristol but Reading do carry enough cover in that area for it to be not so much of a problem if he does miss the game.

Finally safety can be mathematically assured for Reading on Saturday if they win at Barnsley while Cheltenham (Bristol Rovers at home) and Burton (away at Stevenage) both lose.

Referee

Sebastian Stockbridge

Previously

Nothing

History

Reading away from home to play that oft quoted, proverbial game always thrown up when some mercurial foreign talent arrives from some hotter clime, got to be a miserable time to be had by all southern softies surely?

Well no actually, it was like that once but it’s not that bad these days.....

This will be the 38th time league action has occurred between the two teams in South Yorkshire and so far Reading have won 11 of the games compared to Barnsley’s 16. Sadly though fate will now be tempted as the bit Reading have to protect is the fact that since the move to RG2 the club has made this league trip 10 times and obtained 20 points following 5 wins and 5 draws.

How to follow the game
  1. Ticket yourself, be brave and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2024 10:58

For me:

Pereira
Abrefa, Mbengue, Bindon, Mola
Wing, Elliott
Azeez, Knibbs, Ehibhatiomhan
Smith

Button, Dorsett, Carson, Rushesha, Savage, Mukairu, Wareham

With Carson and/or Rushesha getting 20 minutes.

In fact this would be my next three teams.

Pereira
Yiadom, Bindon, Dorsett, Mola
Wing, Savage
Azeez, Elliott, Ehibhatiomhan
Smith

CBC, Mbengue, Carson, Rushesha, Knibbs, Wareham, Camara

Pereira
Yiadom, Mbengue, Bindon, Carson
Wing, Craig
Azeez, Knibbs, Camara
Ehibhatiomhan

Button, Dorsett, Mola, Senga, Wareham, Smith, Mukairu

Something like that anyway.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 11 Apr 2024 09:02

Will be putting my money on a 1-1 draw here, Barnsley to start strong then we grow into the game.

Barnsley 1 (Cole, 19)
Reading 1 (Smith, 62)

Other results go our way and it's a Yorkshire party.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Apr 2024 09:13

Barnsley have the greatest walk out music ever. For that reason alone I am fearing a heavy defeat.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Apr 2024 10:17

NathStPaul Barnsley have the greatest walk out music ever. For that reason alone I am fearing a heavy defeat.

And what exactly is this "greatest walk out music ever"?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Apr 2024 10:19

Sutekh
NathStPaul Barnsley have the greatest walk out music ever. For that reason alone I am fearing a heavy defeat.

The theme tune from Hitman and Her.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Apr 2024 12:09

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Apr 2024 12:10

Theme Tune to Howards' Way may be a close contender.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Apr 2024 12:29

Only 2 teams have completed the double over us this year: Portsmouth (unsurprisingly) and Shrewsbury (surprisingly). Barnsley have the chance to join that list on Saturday, as do Blackpool on the final day.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 11 Apr 2024 15:48

We've played Barnsley a few times recently so maybe not one of the more attractive away days on the calendar, anybody know how many tickets sold?
Where's Clyde? :D

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Apr 2024 16:07

I don’t think Barnsley’s home record has been too good recently. I think if we turn up and aren’t too jaded after Tuesday’s game we can get a positive result. In the past, game 3 of 3 when we’ve had games in quick succession hasn’t gone well.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 11 Apr 2024 16:19

blythspartan I don’t think Barnsley’s home record has been too good recently. I think if we turn up and aren’t too jaded after Tuesday’s game we can get a positive result. In the past, game 3 of 3 when we’ve had games in quick succession hasn’t gone well.

So with safety pretty much nailed I'm torn between going for a few more points for a safety net just incase any hidden points deduction rears it's ugly head again, lets face it we're having a blast at the moment however, the EFL must be pulling their hair out watching little ole Reading surviving against all the odds :D :D :D

Then there is your valid point, game 3/3 hasn't gone to with over the season so maybe with us being just about safe we give a chance to some of our fringe players such as: Carson, Senga, Camara, Abrefa, Wareham and give then some much needed matchday experience.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Apr 2024 15:38

NathStPaul
Sutekh

What’s the connection? Weird choice - great programme though

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Apr 2024 15:55

Hound
NathStPaul
Sutekh

I have actually looked into it before. I was taken by surprise that they used it when I was up in the away end a few years ago, it was baffling. In short the answer is nobody knows why they use it, doesn't appear to be linked to the show though. Guessing it was just a catchy song at the time of release and the Barnsley DJ stuck it on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Apr 2024 19:01

NathStPaul
Hound
NathStPaul The theme tune from Hitman and Her.

I have actually looked into it before. I was taken by surprise that they used it when I was up in the away end a few years ago, it was baffling. In short the answer is nobody knows why they use it, doesn't appear to be linked to the show though. Guessing it was just a catchy song at the time of release and the Barnsley DJ stuck it on.

Good stuff, thanks

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 12 Apr 2024 20:14

Crowbar6753 We've played Barnsley a few times recently so maybe not one of the more attractive away days on the calendar, anybody know how many tickets sold?
Where's Clyde? :D

Around 750 (last night, before tickets went off sale at 12:00 today), plus tickets available on the day :wink:

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s around 800 tomorrow 8)

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 13 Apr 2024 10:25

Think we've sold well for all our remaining away games. Not sure of the figure though, but if anywhere close to the above, I'd say that was impressive.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 Apr 2024 10:44

Snowflake Royal For me:

Pereira
Wing, Elliott
Smith

Pereira
Wing, Savage
Smith

Pereira
Wing, Craig
Azeez, Knibbs, Camara
Ehibhatiomhan

Agree with the middle team Ian as I would like to see Dorsett in what is supposed to be his best position.

One memory of Barnsley from the Elm Park days-we scored 6 in front of a watching Michael Parkinson who was embarrassed enough to suggest that the players ought to make a visit to a coal mine to see what real work was like. :D
A bit Barnstonworth United from Ripping Yarns fondly remembered by some of our older posters.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Apr 2024 10:55

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal For me:

Pereira
Wing, Elliott
Smith

Pereira
Wing, Savage
Smith

Pereira
Wing, Craig
Azeez, Knibbs, Camara
Ehibhatiomhan

Agree with the middle team Ian as I would like to see Dorsett in what is supposed to be his best position.

One memory of Barnsley from the Elm Park days-we scored 6 in front of a watching Michael Parkinson who was embarrassed enough to suggest that the players ought to make a visit to a coal mine to see what real work was like. :D
A bit Barnstonworth United from Ripping Yarns fondly remembered by some of our older posters.

I think you may mean the 7-0 game which was our last match of the 1970's.

Allan Clarke was the Barnsley manager.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 Apr 2024 11:28

Mid Sussex Royal
South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal For me:

Pereira
Wing, Elliott
Smith

Pereira
Wing, Savage
Smith

Pereira
Wing, Craig
Azeez, Knibbs, Camara
Ehibhatiomhan

I think you may mean the 7-0 game which was our last match of the 1970's.

Allan Clarke was the Barnsley manager.

It could well have been (a job to remember every detail after watching us for over 60 years :wink: ) and thanks for reminding me about Allan Clarke whose name came into my head when remembering that game-the thoughts were dismissed because I had been thinking of him as a player but when he was playing for Walsall my kid brother ( a normally mild-mannered sort) ran on the pitch at the end of a game ,tried to hit him and fortunately failed.

The reason apparently was because Clarke had been playing dirty (typical ex-Leeds) all game and should have been sent off.

BTW, on checking, this result was a bit unexpected as our previous 5 results were:-
1-7 v Chesterfield
1-1 v Blackburn
2-5 v Blackpool
0-2 v Sheffield Wednesday
0-2 v Plymouth

Incidentally, at risk of boring others but you obviously were around at the time, I do remember the game v Wednesday on the Friday as we came up to exchange Christmas presents with the family and the game was in doubt after snow.

Once the game ended I took my daughter to the Curzon club along with my brother to warm up, took part in their Friday meat draw and then drove back to Ringwood where we lived at the time and thankfully there was little traffic on the roads-we had stood for the game under the clock perishing as Jack Charlton's team took us apart.

The Barnsley result was a shock but brought some joy after that bad run.
Third division football eh and here we are..........playing Barnsley again and hopefully they are not out for revenge.

130 posts