Looking forward to the 2024-25 season

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Looking forward to the 2024-25 season

by Sutekh » 14 Apr 2024 13:34

Well now the club are mathematically safe from the drop what are your hopes for next season.

1. No Dai (and Pang) any more
  2. New communicative owners who actually talk to people at all levels
  3. Retaining the likes of Savage, Azeez, Elliott, Wing, Knibbs, Wifi and Bindon to build a promotion challenging team around
  4. Some clever/opportune transfer market trading despite the FL sanctions
  5. An FA Cup run
  6. Play-offs
  7. Games against Oxford and Hollywood FC

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Looking forward to the 2024-25 season

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Apr 2024 13:36

Consistent 16k - 17k attendances at the SCL.

Knowing you won't lose points won on the pitch.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2024 19:48

Looking forward positively, rather than waiting for the next disaster.

A feeling of a return to the early 00s, when we were coming out of a period of a bit of shambles under Burns with Madjeski AWOL and Howe allowing money to be thrown at toss, into a period of sustained good football, promotion chases and a feeling we were on the rise and really could make it to the big time for the first time.

Buzzing atmosphere. Higher attendances - average of 15,500 would be pretty good (+3,300), and I believe our best at this level, outside crazy old stadium capacities anyway.

No points deductions.

Retaining a progression into the first team for the best youth players to test themselves.

No more expensive aging has beens.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 14 Apr 2024 20:12

The only hope I have is having a club that is still alive. With Dai still on the scene, that is not yet a foregone conclusion!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Apr 2024 20:40

Dai gone and the majority of this team to stay and keep progressing. And not so much rain

That’d do me for starters

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2024 09:15

We will naturally lose a couple of the OOC players, as some will get tempting offers from a division above & we may need to fend off interest in Wing, Smith & Knibbs but, maybe naively, this squad seem to love working together, working for this manager and there is clearly a refound bond between them and the fans.

So, if the ownership does change, I'm looking forward to re-signing a decent number of those OOC and adding 4 or 5 quality free agents to the squad.

Of the potential free agents from L1, I would be happy for us to move for:

Conor Ogilvie (Pompey) LB
Josh Knight (Peterboro) CB
Ruel Sotiriou (Orient) CF

Possibly even someone like Adam Reach dropping down from the Champ - only 31 still.

But I'm sure the recruitment guys already have a multitude of targets including potential deals like those for Elliott and Savage.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Apr 2024 09:19

Stranded We will naturally lose a couple of the OOC players, as some will get tempting offers from a division above & we may need to fend off interest in Wing, Smith & Knibbs but, maybe naively, this squad seem to love working together, working for this manager and there is clearly a refound bond between them and the fans.

So, if the ownership does change, I'm looking forward to re-signing a decent number of those OOC and adding 4 or 5 quality free agents to the squad.

Possibly even someone like Adam Reach dropping down from the Champ - only 31 still.

But I'm sure the recruitment guys already have a multitude of targets including potential deals like those for Elliott and Savage.

Can't see many of our ooc players getting attractive offers from the Championship.

Even Azeez I don't really think looks like a Champ bench player beyond the bottom few. His touch and decision making is too iffy.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Apr 2024 09:20

Stranded We will naturally lose a couple of the OOC players, as some will get tempting offers from a division above & we may need to fend off interest in Wing, Smith & Knibbs but, maybe naively, this squad seem to love working together, working for this manager and there is clearly a refound bond between them and the fans.

The recruitment last summer was great, but we did have Jared Dublin in the build up. I wonder how important he was. From the outside, it looks like Bowen and Carey are more old-school in how they go about things, using relationships, reports etc., to identify targets, whereas Dublin filled in a gap in using data. Certainly we all wonder how the hell we spotted Bindon.

I would assume that in the EFL landscape Bowen and Carey have all the knowledge we need, but they're less likely to pull off a left field masterstroke.

Can see Azeez potentially staying based upon offers (as IR says above). Perhaps if he kept up his December/January form we'd lose him, but he hasn’t kept that up. I don't think he'll get many Championship offers, and if he does move up a division I don't think he'll play much.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2024 09:34

WestYorksRoyal

The recruitment last summer was great, but we did have Jared Dublin in the build up. I wonder how important he was. From the outside, it looks like Bowen and Carey are more old-school in how they go about things, using relationships, reports etc., to identify targets, whereas Dublin filled in a gap in using data. Certainly we all wonder how the hell we spotted Bindon.

I would assume that in the EFL landscape Bowen and Carey have all the knowledge we need, but they're less likely to pull off a left field masterstroke.

Can see Azeez potentially staying based upon offers (as IR says above). Perhaps if he kept up his December/January form we'd lose him, but he hasn’t kept that up. I don't think he'll get many Championship offers, and if he does move up a division I don't think he'll play much.

I think Bindon was a "bit of luck" - his Mum got a job over here and he wanted to follow as was only 18, his agent is Kia - who was the first club he was going to get offered to?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Apr 2024 13:47

Can see another midtable season with some big wins and heavy defeats.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Apr 2024 13:58

Not sure I see many heavy defeats given our recent defence. We've conceded 3 or more in only about 4 games since Jan.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Apr 2024 14:37

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal

I think Bindon was a "bit of luck" - his Mum got a job over here and he wanted to follow as was only 18, his agent is Kia - who was the first club he was going to get offered to?

Was Kia his agent before he moved over? Did his mum move local to here?

Either way, definitely some luck involved there but we did well to get him in and give him the chance

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2024 15:00

Hound
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal The recruitment last summer was great, but we did have Jared Dublin in the build up. I wonder how important he was. From the outside, it looks like Bowen and Carey are more old-school in how they go about things, using relationships, reports etc., to identify targets, whereas Dublin filled in a gap in using data. Certainly we all wonder how the hell we spotted Bindon.

Was Kia his agent before he moved over? Did his mum move local to here?

Either way, definitely some luck involved there but we did well to get him in and give him the chance

She is assitant coach at the London City Lionesses, so would imagine lives in London which Tyler may well do as well but even if he is more local then still closer to family than staying in LA.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Apr 2024 12:39

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2024 13:01

Not every likely contender is confirmed yet. So early days. But I remember 4-4-2 had us down at about 20/1 for the title in 05/06.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 19 Apr 2024 10:47

I'd hope to see Dai gone and a reasonable new owner who can steady the ship and ensure all bills are paid. I expect we'll lose a few players over the summer, hopefully for fees as the club starts to be run more sustainably and we can invest more money into wages and attracting good players on free and on loan. The transfer fee ban isn't the end of the world as not many clubs buy players in this league.

I feel confident we can continue the current form into next season and we'll finish in or around the playoffs. Probably a year too soon to be expecting automatic promotion and we'll probably lose a few key players so will need to rebuild. Also hoping we can beat the Pox next season!

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 19 Apr 2024 16:45

Royal_jimmy ... Also hoping we can beat the Pox next season!

And, of course, hoping they aren't promoted via the playoffs.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Apr 2024 14:11

Sky Bet Promotion Odds (at time of posting):
  • 5/2 - Holywood
  • 7/2 - Lincoln; Rotherham
  • 9/2 - Blackpool; Charlton; Reading
  • 5/1 - Wigan
  • 6/1 - Stevenage; Stockport; Wycombe
  • 7/1 - Bristol Rovers; Leyton Orient; Mansfield
  • 9/1 - Exeter
  • 10/1 - Northampton; Shrewsbury
  • 12/1 - Burton; Cambridge
At the start of last season, Oddschecker's promotion odds had Blackpool sixth on 9/2. So at this very earlier juncture, the odds suggests we'll be around the play-offs - which seems right.

At the other end, 12/1 would've put a side 13th - so perhaps these are all abnormally short simply to reduce the chances of Sky losing a load of money from early betting.

Obviously things will start to shift once we know all of the teams in the division and transfers start being made.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Apr 2024 14:14

Snowflake Royal Not every likely contender is confirmed yet. So early days. But I remember 4-4-2 had us down at about 20/1 for the title in 05/06.

I remember the Reading FC magazine (remember that?) had a full list with us being mid-table ahead of that season. Just shows how underestimated that team was, making the achievement even more impressive.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Apr 2024 14:29

I'm only going to make one assumption, and that's that the takeover happens. As if it doesn’t there may not be a next season to predict.

Knowing nothing more about players we keep, players we lose, who we may sign etc., I think top half is a reasonable starting expectation for next season given what we've seen this year. But with a good summer hopefully we can be making top 6 prediction come August.