Weekend Football

5772 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by Sanguine » 08 Apr 2024 16:11

Hendo
Sanguine
Pepe the Horseman I want them to go down due to points deductions purely for the backlash.

Without deductions they'd be two points from safety, with five games left.

Their fixture list at least puts in their hands - they still have to play Forest, Luton and Sheffield United, albeit the latter will be relegated by then.

Arsenal away on the last day will be fun if both the title and relegation are still open.

10 points, surely?

Edit.

Yes. It's actually 8, because I meant points needed to stay up. Most Luton or Forest can reach is 43. Everton would have 35.

For some reason I was writing about a football season where teams play 36 games. :|

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Apr 2024 16:45

Quite funny that one key reason FFP was introduced was to try and prove that football didn't need a regulator, and all its proven is the opposite. It's farcical that clubs may not know where they stand on the final day. Luton may think they're safe but it's all pending the outcome of appeals by Forest and Everton.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Apr 2024 16:52

And at the other end, wait for the shitstorm if City win the title this season and only then are found guilty of various charges.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Apr 2024 17:04

Sanguine And at the other end, wait for the shitstorm if City win the title this season and only then are found guilty of various charges.

Given it's bound be years before there's any light leading to the end of that utterly disgusting farce I really can't see any comment specifically that won't be already be made about all the prizes they've already cheated themselves to (and no doubt, by the time it does get addressed, the penalties for breaching these things will have been reduced still further, by all the turkeys, to a slight bit of finger wagging in their direction).

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Apr 2024 19:01

Makes me f*cking sick that the points deductions are so light. The PL could and should have followed the same as the EFL. 12 points reduced to 6 if they follow budgets set with salary caps and transfer embargos. Break that set budget and the other 6 points come off.
The PL have f*cked this up so badly. I'm sick of the fans as well complaining about it. What bit of gaining an unfair advantage did they not understand? And what bit of losing 103 million over 3 years has confused them? Forest are the worst. Really want them to go down.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Apr 2024 08:36

Ascotexgunner Makes me f*cking sick that the points deductions are so light. The PL could and should have followed the same as the EFL. 12 points reduced to 6 if they follow budgets set with salary caps and transfer embargos. Break that set budget and the other 6 points come off.
The PL have f*cked this up so badly. I'm sick of the fans as well complaining about it. What bit of gaining an unfair advantage did they not understand? And what bit of losing 103 million over 3 years has confused them? Forest are the worst. Really want them to go down.

Where they'll then get done by the FL I believe. :?:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Apr 2024 08:41

Ascotexgunner Makes me f*cking sick that the points deductions are so light. The PL could and should have followed the same as the EFL. 12 points reduced to 6 if they follow budgets set with salary caps and transfer embargos. Break that set budget and the other 6 points come off.

Issue though is the independent appeals panel that just pretty much agrees with the clubs all the time giving little support to the PL and the need to teach these cheats real tough lessons. Looking forward to the Everton and Forest demos and crying in the streets over how it's not fair etc. (not mention the ******* media giving it all airtime etc.)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Apr 2024 11:13

Listened to Ben Foster yesterday explain that the reason some goalkeepers are now using vaseline on their gloves is because the Premier League footballs used are always brand new for each match and when they are new they have a weird film covering on them, and that combined with the wetness of a watered pitch makes them hard to grip, and for some reason vaseline helps make it sticky

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Apr 2024 11:41

If nothing else, you need to reflect the 38 games vs 46 games and reduce the deduction by 20%. The penalty for administration is the PL is 8 points not 10 to reflect this (unless it's changed and I've missed it).

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 09 Apr 2024 12:42

Winston Biscuit Listened to Ben Foster yesterday explain that the reason some goalkeepers are now using vaseline on their gloves is because the Premier League footballs used are always brand new for each match and when they are new they have a weird film covering on them, and that combined with the wetness of a watered pitch makes them hard to grip, and for some reason vaseline helps make it sticky

I listened to another podcast he was on where he stated that he'd always soak his (new) gloves for about 30 mins because it gave him better grip

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Apr 2024 12:54

BRO_BOT
Winston Biscuit Listened to Ben Foster yesterday explain that the reason some goalkeepers are now using vaseline on their gloves is because the Premier League footballs used are always brand new for each match and when they are new they have a weird film covering on them, and that combined with the wetness of a watered pitch makes them hard to grip, and for some reason vaseline helps make it sticky

I listened to another podcast he was on where he stated that he'd always soak his (new) gloves for about 30 mins because it gave him better grip

I listened to one where he said he'd soak them in vinegar to make them stronger.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Apr 2024 21:29

Phil Foden is unreal

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Apr 2024 08:16

genome Phil Foden is unreal

Pep has downloaded some sort of cheat code

It’s ok though, because Wazzer thinks Foden’s got ten years to go to be as good as Salah
[checks notes] Salah was being loaned out from a pretty ordinary spell at Chelsea at the same age

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Apr 2024 08:54

genome Phil Foden is unreal

Yeah, this is very good news for England. Can arguably add Foden to the 'world-class' bracket alongside Kane, Bellingham and (imho) Saka. Our team is getting scary good.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Apr 2024 09:13

Championship contenders all doing their best not to get promoted. Leicester lost at Millwall, Leeds could only draw 0-0 at home against Sunderland. Ipswich go top if they beat Watford tonight.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Apr 2024 10:16

Yeah, I saw one where he called vaseline a "game changer".

My son's going to give it a go. (He doesn't buy new gloves every week of course (and Sunday League rarely / never has a new ball) so it may be like trying to catch a bar of soap with old gloves and old ball. We shall see!)

I'm not sure Onana is the best advert....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Apr 2024 23:43

This was given as a penalty.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Apr 2024 08:14

genome

This was given as a penalty.

Whilst I can’t imagine what the referee saw to think that was inside the box, wtf was the assistant doing ?
He clearly wasn’t looking

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Apr 2024 09:15

I think if that happened against us, I'd probably just walk out the stadium and go home.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Apr 2024 09:28

Did he give it for the second impact maybe? Not suggesting that makes in much better because that wasn't handball either but just trying to work out what happened here.

There won't be any repercussions from this, never are. The referee and assistant who gave it should spend next season in non-league learning their craft.

5772 posts