Transfer deadline day rumours in's and out's

229 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Transfer deadline day rumours in's and out's

by royalp-we » 31 Aug 2021 19:36

Zip
Pepe the Horseman
royalp-we 18:30 and the local journos all doing their very best to bring... well nothing :lol:

Quite a climax this year with potential incomings and outgoings yet our local rags are radio silent lol news coverage of this club this so crap.

Maybe there's actually nothing to report? Even the ITK gang are MIA, so either nothing's happening or the club are keeping it very quiet.

Indeed. There isn’t much to report. The journos are not trying to make things up for click bait. If there is something they will report it.

There’s no coverage though, that’s my issue. Jlo reposted the rumour about Carroll at 9am this morning. Then nothing till one tweet at 7:30 this evening. He gets paid to report on the club, does he not?! Nothing about the internationals, training or anything. They’re abysmal :lol:
Last edited by royalp-we on 31 Aug 2021 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2021 19:37

blythspartan Hopefully, I am wrong but I can’t see any ins or outs today which is the norm for us on deadline day.

Something HAS to happen today if Reading are to bring a striker in if Eddie’s tweet is accurate.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Aug 2021 19:39

We can bring in out of contract players after the window.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2021 19:39

royalp-we
Zip
Pepe the Horseman Maybe there's actually nothing to report? Even the ITK gang are MIA, so either nothing's happening or the club are keeping it very quiet.

Indeed. There isn’t much to report. The journos are not trying to make things up for click bait. If there is something they will report it.

There’s no coverage though, that’s my issue. Jlo reposted the rumour about Carroll at 9am this morning. Then nothing till one tweet at 7:30 this evening. He gets paid to report on the club, does he not?!

That’s about right though, hey impression is that he knows not very much and has virtually no insights. Most of the day is spent publishing the same bog standard non-news click bait that all local paper websites spend their time publishing these days.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2021 19:40

windermereROYAL We can bring in out of contract players after the window.

Not if the FL have said someone has to leave first.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2021 19:45

royalp-we
Zip
Pepe the Horseman Maybe there's actually nothing to report? Even the ITK gang are MIA, so either nothing's happening or the club are keeping it very quiet.

There’s no coverage though, that’s my issue. Jlo reposted the rumour about Carroll at 9am this morning. Then nothing till one tweet at 7:30 this evening. He gets paid to report on the club, does he not?! Nothing about the internationals, training or anything. They’re abysmal :lol:

He does get paid to report on the club but he can’t make things up. Very little has happened today. We know about Carroll but he has yet to sign. The club may be keeping very quiet about things for now. We will just have to wait and see.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 31 Aug 2021 20:22

Zip
royalp-we
Zip

He does get paid to report on the club but he can’t make things up. Very little has happened today. We know about Carroll but he has yet to sign. The club may be keeping very quiet about things for now. We will just have to wait and see.

Yes nothing has happened today but he is always behind everyone else. As you say Low gets paid to report on the club and whilst I accept things are different now to the good old Evening Post days the job of being a sports journalist still involves getting contacts and exclusives to generate clicks. I cannot recall any other local journo who has offered so little.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2021 20:25

It’s looking like our business is done. Presumably letting one go was the sticking point. Did we really need Drinkwater? A striker was much more of a priority.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 31 Aug 2021 20:39

Mid Sussex Royal
Zip
royalp-we

Yes nothing has happened today but he is always behind everyone else. As you say Low gets paid to report on the club and whilst I accept things are different now to the good old Evening Post days the job of being a sports journalist still involves getting contacts and exclusives to generate clicks. I cannot recall any other local journo who has offered so little.

It’s not just jLo though - BBC Berks coverage is god awful too. Alongside transfers, I want to see interviews with owners, coaches, the 6 new recruits, reports of how the internationals are getting on with their nations. Like I say, the coverage is abysmal :lol: It’s lucky we have sites like TTE and EPR who at least try to follow the ins and outs of the wider club goings on.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Aug 2021 20:40

Maybe Carroll wouldn’t have been the answer but I really fear for us now. Unless Puscas can stay fit and find his shooting boots we could be too far adrift come January. To think QPR signed Andre Gray today who will no doubt score on his debut.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 Aug 2021 20:41

Zip It’s looking like our business is done. Presumably letting one go was the sticking point. Did we really need Drinkwater? A striker was much more of a priority.

The second Joao picked up the injury every other line of enquiry should have stopped and all of our eggs should have gone into the finding a striker basket. The club have no excuses really, we've had weeks to find someone. More importantly we've had the ability to do so given our other signings, its not like the EFL stopped us or anything.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2021 20:42

royalp-we
Mid Sussex Royal
Zip

It’s not just jLo though - BBC Berks coverage is god awful too. Alongside transfers, I want to see interviews with owners, coaches, the 6 new recruits, reports of how the internationals are getting on with their nations. Like I say, the coverage is abysmal :lol:

On that I would agree. It’s far too cosy with Williams/Gooding/Dellor. Our owners are invisible but that’s the modern way of things.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Aug 2021 20:44

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal
Woodcote Royal
Couldn’t agree more

A goal hanging, barely mobile Carroll will score more than Puscus on his own up front.

That the Carroll with 5 goals in 71 appearances over the last 4 years?

Woop woop.

Who were you hoping we'd sign for what we can afford? Genuine question.

I can’t be alone in finding the verbal diarrhoea that emanates from the footballing pigmy that is Ian Royal a major factor in keeping off this site for the most part.

How many decades does one person need to get a life?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2021 20:45

NathStPaul
Zip It’s looking like our business is done. Presumably letting one go was the sticking point. Did we really need Drinkwater? A striker was much more of a priority.

The second Joao picked up the injury every other line of enquiry should have stopped and all of our eggs should have gone into the finding a striker basket. The club have no excuses really, we've had weeks to find someone. More importantly we've had the ability to do so given our other signings, its not like the EFL stopped us or anything.

When you think we have Laurent, Rinomhota, Tetek and Araruna to play holding midfield it’s baffling we then signed Drinkwater knowing we would have to sell to then bring in a striker.We have one senior striker with both our leading scorers from last season out for months. It’s just a disorganised mess.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 Aug 2021 20:45

Zip
royalp-we
Mid Sussex Royal

It’s not just jLo though - BBC Berks coverage is god awful too. Alongside transfers, I want to see interviews with owners, coaches, the 6 new recruits, reports of how the internationals are getting on with their nations. Like I say, the coverage is abysmal :lol:

On that I would agree. It’s far too cosy with Williams/Gooding/Dellor. Our owners are invisible but that’s the modern way of things.

It isn't unique to Reading. Since the dawn of social media, the majority of professional clubs use their own media outlet to give news and interviews. They can completely control it rather than being caught off guard by the press. Just the modern way sadly.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 31 Aug 2021 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2021 20:47

NathStPaul
Zip
royalp-we

It isn't unique to Reading. Since the dawn of social media, the majority of professional clubs use their own media to give news and interviews. They can completely control it rather than being caught off guard by the press. Just the modern way sadly.

Agreed.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 31 Aug 2021 20:53

NathStPaul
Zip
royalp-we

It isn't unique to Reading. Since the dawn of social media, the majority of professional clubs use their own media outlet to give news and interviews. They can completely control it rather than being caught off guard by the press. Just the modern way sadly.

Agreed I guess it is just a sign of the times. It seems the only time they interact with the club staff is at the pre match presser before each matchday.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Aug 2021 20:56

Sutekh
royalp-we
Zip

There’s no coverage though, that’s my issue. Jlo reposted the rumour about Carroll at 9am this morning. Then nothing till one tweet at 7:30 this evening. He gets paid to report on the club, does he not?!

That’s about right though, hey impression is that he knows not very much and has virtually no insights. Most of the day is spent publishing the same bog standard non-news click bait that all local paper websites spend their time publishing these days.

Have to agree, average at best we’ve had better in the past

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Aug 2021 21:22

NathStPaul

Strikers, at least those who could be worthwhile at this level are hard to come by. With our restrictions possibly close to impossible.

We could only bring in a loanee where the loaning club would be willing to have no loan fee and subsidise wages over 8.5k & free agent strikers will bide their time. Carroll or another striker may well see their stock rise next week.

If we can't get one in then we may be better served using Clarke. He may turn into a gem.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 Aug 2021 21:30

Stranded
NathStPaul

Strikers, at least those who could be worthwhile at this level are hard to come by. With our restrictions possibly close to impossible.

We could only bring in a loanee where the loaning club would be willing to have no loan fee and subsidise wages over 8.5k & free agent strikers will bide their time. Carroll or another striker may well see their stock rise next week.

If we can't get one in then we may be better served using Clarke. He may turn into a gem.

Exactly, they are hard to come by so the second Joao is injured you have to exhaust every available option. If Andy Carroll was that option then go for him 2 weeks ago instead of days before the window closes.
If I had to guess, Paunovic thought he'd be ok with Puscas/Azeez as striker options. The latter then gets injured and the former just isn't doing it in the slightest.
Other possible scenario is the club tried to shift a couple out today and there were no takers meaning Carroll couldn't happen.

Think it needs to be explained either way, on the face of it the lack of new striker is farcical.

229 posts