Match Report: 2010/2011 Season

28 December 2010: CHAMPIONSHIP
Reading: Church (82 mins).
Hull: Harper (39 mins).
Half Time: 1-0.

Attendance: 21,975

Pos Team P Pts GD
5 Norwich 23 39 +7
6 READING 23 34 +10
7 Coventry 24 34 +0
Reading: Federici, Mills, Harte, Griffin, Pearce, McAnuff, Leigertwood (Antonio, 72), Kebe, Karacan (Howard, 58), Hunt (Church, 58), Long Subs not used: Tabb, Robson-Kanu, McCarthy, Khizanishvili,
Hull: Mannone, Rosenior, McShane, Dawson, Zayatte, Koren (Bullard, 86), Ashbee, Devitt (Barmby, 78), Stewart, Harper, Simpson (Garcia, 84) Subs not used: Solano,Cooper,Duke,Cairney,
Reading: Long
Hull: Harper, Zayatte
Ref: Dave Foster (Newcastle)


Got an opinion? E-Mail us at
Appropriate submissions will appear on match report pages

Simon Church's late leveller earned Reading a point against Hull and nudged the Royals into the play-off spots. Robert Koren hit the post for Hull before James Harper put the Tigers ahead against his old club with a stunning long-range strike. Hull keeper Vito Mannone then saved a Shane Long penalty after Long had been fouled by Paul McShane. But the keeper turned villain when he palmed Ian Harte's free-kick straight to Church, who scored from close range. The hosts started brightly and Royals keeper Adam Federici was called into action twice in the early stages, first to tip Kamil Zayatte's flick around the post and then to make a smart save from Koren's strike from the edge of the area. Koren beat Federici with his next strike from the edge of the box but this time he was denied by a post.

Reading felt they should have been awarded a penalty when Noel Hunt went down under a challenge from Zayatte, but referee David Foster turned away the appeals. Harper then put Hull in front in the 39th minute with a wonderful goal, the former Royals midfielder collecting the ball and unleashing a shot from 25 yards that sailed past Federici. Hull almost grabbed a second before half-time but Stewart's deflected strike came back off a post. At the start of the second half, confusion reigned when Andy Griffin tackled Jay Simpson on the edge of the Reading area and one of the referee's assistants flagged for a penalty, despite Foster being unmoved. After almost a five-minute delay, play resumed with a drop ball. Reading were eventually awarded a penalty in the 64th minute when McShane made a rash challenge on Long - but the Irishman saw his effort brilliantly saved by Mannone. However the keeper, on loan from Arsenal, was at fault when Church scored a deserved equaliser in the 82nd minute. Mannone could only palm Harte's inswinging free-kick into the path of Church, who netted from a yard out as both sides extended their unbeaten streak to eight matches.

BBC Sport