News and Views

Royals Beaten In Seven Goal Half

01 December 2012
By Hob Nob Anyone?

Reading twice took the lead against Manchester United before losing out by one goal in seven during a hugely entertaining first half. Everyone was expecting a lot of goals in this game but no one expected Reading to score three and be leading 3-2 with just 23 minutes on the clock. The Royals deserve full credit for following up a couple of poor recent performances by putting in a real effort against United and playing plenty of positive attacking football in a real end to end game.

Hal Robson-Kanu got the scoring underway after eight minutes when he hit the first goal of seven to be scored in 27 minutes. McAnuff caused problems for United throughout the first half down the left and his cross was headed out only to Robson-Kanu who volleyed home a spectaular effort into the top of the net. United were level five minutes later when Federici was beaten at his near post when he might have made a save. On sixteen minutes Tabb was judged to have made a push into the area and Rooney dispatched the penalty to make it 1-2.

Inside twenty mintues Reading were rewarded for their positive football. A corner was won on the right, Shorey's delivery was perfect and Le Fondre rose to head home. Reading were ahead in identical fashion another four minutes after that. Once again Shorey delivered a tasty corner from the right and this time Morrison weaved his way through the box to outjump the defender and firmly head home. The Madejski Stadium went mental. Reading were 3-2 up.

The game showed no let up as both teams looked to add goals. Rooney pulled United level before Van Persie was played on-side allowing him a simple finish past Federici to make it 3-4. United might have had a claim for a fifth after a Federici block was cleared from the line in a goalmouth scramble. Reading remained positive and continued to look dangerous down both wings.

The game had been open all half and it was no suprise when it changed after the break. United changed tactics in the second half and closed the game down, spending much more time on the ball and stroking it around the park. As they were a goal ahead it was a case of running the clock down. There were still chances for goals with Federci getting himself in trouble by taking on Van Persie rather than hacking the ball clear. Luckily the shot was wide. Reading made their intentions to find the equaliser clear inside the last ten minutes when Hunt was introduced to bulk out the front line but Reading failed to find a way through. Before kick-off we'd have taken defeat by a single goal, and to get that with some proper entertainment made for a good evening. However, the league table does not look a pretty sight.

Share this article: