232 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cambridge United (a)

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Sep 2023 22:11

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
Yes and we all know this. Should have got a point and plenty of players to come back

It’ll be a tough season, certainly until they get a bit more experience or tbe more experienced lads come back

But yet this is what most of the fans wanted, a younger team. It’s just a shame they lack quality and maybe a bit of confidence at the moment. Too inconsistent, not just game-by-game but in actual moments in games as well. Needs to improve.

Yeah and rather than crying about it should realise that it’ll take time - not 2-3 games - to come together.

Don’t like the excuse but we’re missing big players as well in Wing, Smith and Ehib not being fully fit. Then Ballard, Mukairo, Ejaria who may or may not make a big difference

I thought we did ok. Made some chances, Cambridge didn’t really create a lot outside of set pieces.

Lack of quality on the ball at times was disappointing but I can’t say it’s a huge surprise

I thought we were passive throughout really, with a couple of spells where we threatened, but not much other than that.

They should have been in front inside 60 seconds and missed an absolute sitter from virtually a yard. The team that won was the one who created the better chances and eventually took one. Our best was the mass gathering in the box in the first half, which should have been a goal. But if both teams took their best chances tonight, we’d have still lost, it’s not as if we were unlucky.

Wing and Smith will be important, but there was enough, more than enough to deliver more tonight and beat Cambridge. I know people say give it time for them to develop, but lets just hope they don’t go the same way as Azeez seems to be heading at the moment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2023 22:13

Hound
Snowflake Royal Selles screwed the pooch. Madness resting Ehib going into a break having just signed a striker.

Can't believe we let Brophy get an assist.

We played like morons. Uh, let's hoof to Vickers v Bennett and Morro.

Fair play to Morro. Came and clapped us after the game. What a gent.

Our front two was never going to work and it didn’t. Vickers isn’t ready to start imo, talented as he is. Their full backs played well and it gave us few options. Looked a different story with Ehibhatiomhan on who they struggled to handle

Vickers was actually one of the bright sparks when we played to his feet or in behind when he had a hope.

Mola deserves a chance, but after Exeter and Cambridge I still think Nesta is our best left back. Binden is better than Dean. Who once again just looked confused at what he was expected to do at least twice.

I think Selles has the shape and style all wrong.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 04 Sep 2023 22:15

Hound
yuomi
bloody Volvo driver
Exactly who are the “plenty of players to come back”?

Off the top of my head we're missing:
Smith
Ejaria
Bindon
Wing
Ballard (not exactly coming back, but you get the idea)

Mukairo as well. 6 is plenty

If Andy Carroll was effectively exorcised from the club because he wasn't a for for Selles' tactics of playing on the press, and fast transitions, just imagine how little time Selles will have for Ejaria,
whose entire philosophy in life is to see how many times he can choose the most circuitous route towards goal with the ball at his feet.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2023 22:16

I'll be honest, I'd be surprised if Ejaria plays again.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Sep 2023 22:16

Haven’t read the rest of the thread and not sure what anyone else is expecting from this squad, but I was happy with what I saw tonight.

Particular mention for Abbey who was imperious throughout.

I think he will be our first £20m+ player.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 04 Sep 2023 22:18

Royal Rother Haven’t read the rest of the thread and not sure what anyone else is expecting from this squad, but I was happy with what I saw tonight.

Particular mention for Abbey who was imperious throughout.

I think he will be our first £20m+ player.

Nobody at this club is smart enough to get £20m+ from anyone, no matter how good a player is.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Sep 2023 22:19

John Madejski's Wallet I actually quite enjoyed that game. Pace was exciting at times. We had our chances (they had more tbf), and fukk me WiFi should have started.

We are what we are. A very inexperienced team trying to build something.

You enjoyed us losing to Cambridge without looking even remotely threatening jesus christ :lol: :lol:

We didn't look like winning. Got the result we deserved.

This is the worst Reading side I've ever seen.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Sep 2023 22:20

Need strikers fit. Vickers and Azeez were not suited - a couple of decent balls in where nobody was attacking it. Ballard, Kelvin E and Smith will help us improve.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2023 22:22

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
But yet this is what most of the fans wanted, a younger team. It’s just a shame they lack quality and maybe a bit of confidence at the moment. Too inconsistent, not just game-by-game but in actual moments in games as well. Needs to improve.

Yeah and rather than crying about it should realise that it’ll take time - not 2-3 games - to come together.

Don’t like the excuse but we’re missing big players as well in Wing, Smith and Ehib not being fully fit. Then Ballard, Mukairo, Ejaria who may or may not make a big difference

I thought we did ok. Made some chances, Cambridge didn’t really create a lot outside of set pieces.

Lack of quality on the ball at times was disappointing but I can’t say it’s a huge surprise

I thought we were passive throughout really, with a couple of spells where we threatened, but not much other than that.

They should have been in front inside 60 seconds and missed an absolute sitter from virtually a yard. The team that won was the one who created the better chances and eventually took one. Our best was the mass gathering in the box in the first half, which should have been a goal. But if both teams took their best chances tonight, we’d have still lost, it’s not as if we were unlucky.

Wing and Smith will be important, but there was enough, more than enough to deliver more tonight and beat Cambridge. I know people say give it time for them to develop, but lets just hope they don’t go the same way as Azeez seems to be heading at the moment.

Is there more than enough? It’s a team of u21 kids. Cambridge are a steady league 1 side

Abbey, Carson, Savage, Eliot, Ehib, Vickers, Azeez prob have less than 50 games between them

The experienced players we have except Knibbs are basically cast offs

It’s the way we’ve chosen to go mainly due to Dais uselessness. It’s clearly going to be tough - thinking we should just turn up and win games like this is nonsense.

It’ll take time and patience

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 Sep 2023 22:22

Well that was very poor, hoof ball to two diminutive forwards didn’t work. Again, we lose by the odd goal and make the other team look good.

I am looking forward to the international break and I hope Selles can use the time wisely. I’d still like to see us sign an experienced striker or midfielder. I’ll still give it 10+ games but this isn’t working atm. Not sure why he brought off Elliot tbh. I hate to think what a decent Bolton team will do for us in the next game.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 04 Sep 2023 22:24

Royal_jimmy
NathStPaul You only win small penis contests.

You'd be a champion then

You wouldn't even qualify as you at least need a penis to take part in the competition.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 04 Sep 2023 22:24

This isn’t really bad yet, we’ve a long way to go before we hit rock bottom , big question is where do we go from there, when ever that may be, it really is very sad

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2023 22:25

blythspartan Well that was very poor, hoof ball to two diminutive forwards didn’t work. Again, we lose by the odd goal and make the other team look good.

I am looking forward to the international break and I hope Selles can use the time wisely. I’d still like to see us sign an experienced striker or midfielder. I’ll still give it 10+ games but this isn’t working atm. Not sure why he brought off Elliot tbh. I hate to think what a decent Bolton team will do for us in the next game.

I dispute that we made Cambridge look good.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 04 Sep 2023 22:29

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
Hound

Is there more than enough? It’s a team of u21 kids. Cambridge are a steady league 1 side

Abbey, Carson, Savage, Eliot, Ehib, Vickers, Azeez prob have less than 50 games between them

It’s the way we’ve chosen to go mainly due to Dais uselessness. It’s clearly going to be tough - thinking we should just turn up and win games like this is nonsense.

Considering they barely survived last season I think you're being generous to them.

under the tin

by under the tin » 04 Sep 2023 22:30

WestYorksRoyal Need strikers fit. Vickers and Azeez were not suited - a couple of decent balls in where nobody was attacking it. Ballard, Kelvin E and Smith will help us improve.

Selles set the team up wrong from the start.
Two shortish inexperienced players up against Morro and the other Cambridge bloke were never doing to win aerial balls put in (occaisionally) in from the flanks by Carson & Co.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2023 22:33

Orion1871
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

Considering they barely survived last season I think you're being generous to them.

4 wins in 6 this season.

Unlike us they had the bottle to dig out a hole last season, and finished 14th the season before.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Sep 2023 22:34

So if Dai doesn`t put the 125% in by next week we could be bottom. defo bottom 4.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 04 Sep 2023 22:36

windermereROYAL So if Dai doesn`t put the 125% in by next week we could be bottom. defo bottom 4.

We'll soon be bottom 4 even if he does put the 125%.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Sep 2023 22:40

Gunny Fishcake This isn’t really bad yet, we’ve a long way to go before we hit rock bottom , big question is where do we go from there, when ever that may be, it really is very sad

I think we're close to the bottom. The recruitment this summer has been the best in recent memory and aligned to how the manager wants to play. We've barely had a pre season due to off field chaos, the squad are still getting to know each other. We have 3 strikers and we only had one 50% fit.

It was always going to be a slow start this season, but we've seen signs of what we can do. The past 2 games are disappointing, but things take time. I'd also note that we've already played 4 of the current top 6.

Next up are 2 tough games against Bolton and Blackpool, so I expect more crazed reactions if we get a bad result there.

But I think we will turn the corner this season, finish strongly and kick on next year. We need to hold our nerve and see the process through. Or we can go back to the managerial merry-go-round and rely upon the new manager bounce to keep us up each year, until eventually it doesn't.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Sep 2023 22:56

WestYorksRoyal
Gunny Fishcake This isn’t really bad yet, we’ve a long way to go before we hit rock bottom , big question is where do we go from there, when ever that may be, it really is very sad

I think we're close to the bottom. The recruitment this summer has been the best in recent memory and aligned to how the manager wants to play. We've barely had a pre season due to off field chaos, the squad are still getting to know each other. We have 3 strikers and we only had one 50% fit.

It was always going to be a slow start this season, but we've seen signs of what we can do. The past 2 games are disappointing, but things take time. I'd also note that we've already played 4 of the current top 6.

Next up are 2 tough games against Bolton and Blackpool, so I expect more crazed reactions if we get a bad result there.

But I think we will turn the corner this season, finish strongly and kick on next year. We need to hold our nerve and see the process through. Or we can go back to the managerial merry-go-round and rely upon the new manager bounce to keep us up each year, until eventually it doesn't.

We might turn a corner but the midfield that starts should change. Savage and Hutchinson don't look great as a pairing. Feel we lack balance in the team. We don't concede lots which is positive but is that because we've played shit opposition or because our defence is genuinely good?

We lost to a really bang average side tonight, and to be fair to Cambridge they deserved it. We're shit and need to improve and quickly.

232 posts