MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

256 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2024 09:47

Hound I think TMcs role is just to cover at the moment. Holmes and Abbey make sense as first choice cbs. Hopefully Yiadom back Saturday. Dorsett fine at LB (and quicker than Tom), and Craig doing well in CDM

I’d happily have him come in and cover any of those other than RB

Think we’ll win this, and again it’s one we need to really.

I do wonder if we'll see him take over at LB. But probably not this game.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2024 10:13

Snowflake Royal
Hound I think TMcs role is just to cover at the moment. Holmes and Abbey make sense as first choice cbs. Hopefully Yiadom back Saturday. Dorsett fine at LB (and quicker than Tom), and Craig doing well in CDM

I hope not, I'd rather we just stick with Dorsett who is doing pretty well there. I've seen TMac at full back before and, whilst disciplined, won't offer us much going forward and sometimes his lack of pace in that area can cause him some issues. It's probably been his worst position he's played in, always thought he was best at CB.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2024 10:36

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

I hope not, I'd rather we just stick with Dorsett who is doing pretty well there. I've seen TMac at full back before and, whilst disciplined, won't offer us much going forward and sometimes his lack of pace in that area can cause him some issues. It's probably been his worst position he's played in, always thought he was best at CB.

:o

Oh no you didn’t!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2024 10:40

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal I do wonder if we'll see him take over at LB. But probably not this game.

Oh no you didn’t!

Yes - different scenario. Pace in a 1v1 situation, not pace about a ball over the top or into a wide area. Good positioning and understanding helps more in the second scenario.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Jan 2024 10:50

I do think we’ll win this, but based on Selles’ recent interview and the performance at Brighton, I wonder if the recent redundancies and no new owner on the horizon will have a bearing on this game.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2024 12:00

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Oh no you didn’t!

Yes - different scenario. Pace in a 1v1 situation, not pace about a ball over the top or into a wide area. Good positioning and understanding helps more in the second scenario.

:lol: :roll:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Jan 2024 12:02

Good lord.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Jan 2024 13:24

Full squad for this. Yiadom, McIntyre, Knibbs and Smith all available. When was the last time we went into a game with no injuries? Must be 5 years or so.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2024 13:54

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal :o

Oh no you didn’t!

Are you arguing about whether you are arguing now?

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 11 Jan 2024 14:06

tmesis
NathStPaul See nothing other than a comfortable home win.

I hope you are right, but there's not exactly a lot to pick between most of the teams in this division, and it wouldn't take much of a dip in performances to be struggling again. We still let in too many goals, meaning we almost always need to score at least two to win.

And Port Vale are just the kind of dreary totally uninspiring club to come down and get a 3-0 win from nowhere.

This sort of comment about other clubs really annoys me. People get brassed off if the Royals are abused by supporters of other clubs but still see fit to make remarks like this. I dont see Port Vale supporters having to chuck tennis balls on the pitch or the club being millions in debt like ourselves. Some good supporters there , I wonder if you've ever been there. I have and had an enjoyable visit.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Jan 2024 14:09

Nobody has ever had enjoyable visit to Port Vale/Stoke pal.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Jan 2024 14:14

nailseabiscuitman
tmesis

I hope you are right, but there's not exactly a lot to pick between most of the teams in this division, and it wouldn't take much of a dip in performances to be struggling again. We still let in too many goals, meaning we almost always need to score at least two to win.

And Port Vale are just the kind of dreary totally uninspiring club to come down and get a 3-0 win from nowhere.

This sort of comment about other clubs really annoys me. People get brassed off if the Royals are abused by supporters of other clubs but still see fit to make remarks like this. I dont see Port Vale supporters having to chuck tennis balls on the pitch or the club being millions in debt like ourselves. Some good supporters there , I wonder if you've ever been there. I have and had an enjoyable visit.

I hear Stoke is lovely, or are least it will be when they finish building it.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 11 Jan 2024 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jan 2024 15:20

nailseabiscuitman
tmesis

Sure about that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Port_Vale_F.C.#1999%E2%80%932011:_Valiant_2001_and_two_administrations

With further discontent at the running of the club, a supporters' trust under the banner "Valiant 2001" started moves towards attaining ownership of the club, including several offers that were rejected by chairman Bell. The next season, 2002–03, was to see Vale's financial problems come to a head. With first-round exits in both cup competitions and another mediocre season in the league on the cards, Bill Bell eventually called in the administrators with the club around £1.5 million in debt.

Genuine hopes of promotion in 2011–12 were brought to an end after the club were issued with a winding up petition by HM Revenue and Customs on 29 February 2012; the club were by this time unable to pay tax bills, creditors, or staff wages.[48] The club entered administration on 9 March; the administrators appointed were Begbies Traynor.[49]

A protest against chairman Bill Bell after a poor home defeat to Crystal Palace seemed to see an upturn in the Valiants' performances

Vale were in the relegation zone of the Second Division, and after a FA Cup first-round defeat to Ryman Leaguers Canvey Island, the team seemed to be heading towards another relegation, with fans once again protesting against chairman Bill Bell.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2024 17:04

Hound
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Are you arguing about whether you are arguing now?

No just laughing at YR.

And in a nicely concise and contained way.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Jan 2024 18:41

NathStPaul Nobody has ever had enjoyable visit to Port Vale/Stoke pal.

Winning 4-0 at Vale Park was fun. Stoke fans even came out of pubs to applaud as the supporters club coach went went past afterwards.

I always though The Victoria Ground was a great ground, as long as you weren't stuck in that crappy terrace at the side.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Jan 2024 18:43

nailseabiscuitman
tmesis

Vale Park is one of the grimmest places on earth. Even when they rebuilt it, it looked old and decrepit. Bleak on three sides, and a shanty town down the other.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2024 19:11

tmesis

They've done that before, on their last trip to Elm Park. Cue post match pitch invasion and SJM actually talking to fans on the pitch.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2024 19:39

Sutekh
tmesis

They've done that before, on their last trip to Elm Park. Cue post match pitch invasion and SJM actually talking to fans on the pitch.

They made me so mad that night. They were shit, we were shitter. They spent ages droning on with one repetitive shit song.

We were 15th 3 games before and after losing to them we fell into the relegation zone and then never left. They finished 19th, were relegated two seasons later and have never been back in tier 2 since. We were saying goodbye to Elm Park, and supposed to be looking forward to a bright new beginning at a bigger modern stadium, only to be relegated.

And their kit was shit.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Jan 2024 21:17

tmesis

We all said this before we went to Vale Park and we were done 1-0. They're no mugs, they're a tough team to beat. Definitely need 3 points though and being at home against anyone in L1 I expect a win. Draw isn't much good.

There's a few whispers of fans getting the game abandoned. Not sure I see that myself.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jan 2024 08:07

Vale picked up the majority of their points in the opening 9 games of the season, 17.

Since then, they have picked up 13pts in 16 games. So for that reason alone, this has to be viewed as a must win home game.

As for Stoke itself, and Burslem in particular - the place is dying a long and painful death but the areas around the city are fantastic.

256 posts